Search results

1. Otis Records

Question about posting photos

When posting a photo using the "image" button and entering a url for a photo hosted on another site, once the image is downloaded on to this site can the image be deleted form the other? In other words is the image really downloaded to AudioKarma or is it just a link that goes to the photo on...
  2. Otis Records

Aftermarket fluid pump for VPI HW17?

VPI no longer offers much if any service parts for the HW17 anymore. The fluid pump on mine is shot. The pump seals tend to leak a bit and that goes right into the pump motor. I've resuscitated a couple of times over the years with oil but this time it done. VPI has no replacement pumps/motors...
  3. Otis Records

Help with a system for a friend's kid

A friend has a college age kid who has been buying vinyl for awhile and is used to spinning it on a decent vintage system I put together for their shop. He's off to school soon and his Dad wants to get him a system for his birthday to take with him. He does not need anything great but he's past...
  4. Otis Records

Jensen Model D Mono For the Living Room

I picked up this rough late 40's Jensen cabinet on ebay a few weeks ago. It was missing the cross-piece on front, the driver mounting board, and the back panel. A wreck, but I like "blonde" furniture and always liked the shape of these cabs. Overall it was pretty nice and solid though and was...
  5. Otis Records

Switching for multiple power amps in one system?

For my main system in my "listening" room I would like to be able to add a power amp and be able to go back and forth between the two amps without having to switch the cables and speaker wires. I would also like both amps to be powered on whenever the system is powered on so I could switch...
  6. Otis Records

WC1 to WC2 sort of

I just bought a Model 16 amp to run in my office. A rough WC1 cabinet showed up on the CL for cheap. The worst areas were the back corners, but figured for twenty five bucks it was worth picking up and cutting down to power amp size. It came out pretty nice, just needs a couple of more coats of...
  7. Otis Records

Office System

Desk eye view of the workhorse system at Otis HQ. Runs all day, for spot checking sound, recording samples for our auctions, and playback to enjoy during the hours of cleaning, grading, and typing that fills the day of a lowly record monger.
  8. Otis Records

Mono System Bits

Built in Altec 2-way with MC30 and C4 in home-built cabinet. Going for the Heywood-Wakefield look there.
  9. Otis Records

Anybody recognize this mono cartridge?

Have had this one sitting in a box of small parts for years, just dug it out while searching for something else. No markings on it except for "1677" embossed on the plastic. Looks a bit GE VR ish, maybe a knockoff? Familiar to anyone??
  10. Otis Records

Good modern components to build classic 2-ways?

I'm thinking about building a classic style 2-way horn system using Altec 811 B horns (that I already have). Aside from the vintage horns I'd really like to use all modern components. Are there any suitable modern equivalent compression drivers for the 811's and a 15" bass speaker that would be...
  11. Otis Records

Empire 398 Re-Work

I'm in the middle of an Empire 398 re-work and thought I would post about the project so far. I realize some folks will be put off by major mods like this to a nice old deck, but in my defense I've been saving Empire TT's from the scrap heap (literally) and using them since the early 80's...
  12. Otis Records

Is my Thorens TD 125 MKII Dying?

This has actually been going on for so long I can't even remember if it has always just been like this? But my TD 125 MkII bogs down from just the lightest interference with the platter, such as pulling off an Lp and flipping it over, even an Lp with an easy fit on the spindle will slow the...
  13. Otis Records

Advice on making cork or ? TT mat

I have a rescued Empire 598 that I use for my mono system that came to me without a mat. I've tried two attempts at making a cork replacement but I'm not happy with either. The Empire is a bit tricky as the the center section of the platter is raised about an 1/8", so you have to make two...
  14. Otis Records

Mono System Pics McIntosh/Empire

Just finished building new cabinets for my C-4 and a Empire 598 that was partially destroyed in shipping. Found some "Heywood-Wakefield" toner that has the perfect 50's look. The rest of system is a Mac-30, built-in Altec 2-Way, and a kit-built Harmon Kardon tuner. 50's jazz sounds so great...
  15. Otis Records

Phono Curves on a McIntosh C-4

I use a C-4 / MC-30 mono system for playing mostly 50's and early 60's jazz Lp's which are pretty much RIAA standard. I was wondering which of the curves on the C-4 is best to use? Between NAB, AES, Ortho, Col Lp, Lon Lp, it seems like "Lon Lp" offers the best overall sound (if not a little...
  16. Otis Records

Fisher 800c hi/low phono inputs

Which is the proper phono input to use for a modern (well more modern than the receiver) cartridge like a V15? I've seen older receivers like this that had different phono inputs for magnetic or ceramic, but have not encountered the hi/low before.
  17. Otis Records

Fan direction

The answer may be painfully obvious or "either way", but figured I would ask. When setting up a Whisper Quiet Fan on a tube cage do you want the air flow direction aiming at the tubes (blowing) or away (drawing)?
  18. Otis Records

JBL 4311 A vs. WXA ?

Are there any fundimental differences between a 4311 WX-A and a 4311 A? And for that matter if any to a 4311 B? Thanks in advance...Otis
  19. Otis Records

Mac mono show off

Here's some links to pics of my just completed Mac mono system. The Mc30 was a wreck my buddy pulled out of a church rumage sale. Had big ragged holes bored into the chassis cover and was covered in oxidation. But luckily the inerds were not too molested. I bondo patched the holes and used a lot...
  20. Otis Records

Longshot but...anyone parting out a MC240?

I've been looking for a MC 240 logo (the chrome trim piece logo) for about 30 years. I was given the amp when I was a kid of twelve and that piece had been broken off and lost. I've kept the amp in good running order over the years and rotate it in and out of one my systems on a regular basis...
Back
Top Bottom