Search results

1. Gary Kaufman

Source for bottom screws (tube amps)?

I'm short a handful of the hex head/slotted screws that are used to hold the bottom pans on the MC30, MC40, MC60, MC75 etc as well as some of the early solid state amps like the MC2100. Anyone know of a source? Thanks!
  2. Gary Kaufman

Mono Preamplifiers

I'm considering rebuilding some of the C-4 and C-8 pre-amplifiers that I've accumulated over the years. I also have a single C-104. Anyone with experience on these units with any words of advise or suggestions? Worth the effort sonically? - Gary
  3. Gary Kaufman

MC2100 Filter Caps

I'm looking to replace leaky filter caps on a MC2100. There are some CDE 68,000uf/40v caps on Ebay that are reasonably priced and a perfect size/spacing match. Any thoughts on increasing the capacitance from 39,000uf --> 68,000uf? Will the in-rush current be too large? Thanks!
  4. Gary Kaufman

Purple Haze

The seller went so far as to quote wiki about purple glow in tubes. I suppose they never thought to notice that the 7027A isn't a gas filled tube... POWERS UP, TUBES GLOW! INCLUDES VERY OLD STYLE FUSE, SEE PHOTO. I plugged it in, and the tubes do glow purple and orange, as you can see...
  5. Gary Kaufman

You call that a Heathkit W5?

More fun with Ebay images.... In case you don't believe that Heathkit W5's have a high transformer failure rate, here's one that's had both replaced. "HEATHKIT MODEL W-5M AMPLIFIER. HAS KT-66 TUBES. LOOKS COMPLETE, EXCEPT NO COVER. HAVE NO WAT TO TEST. I HAVE NOT TRIED TO POWER IT UP, AS...
  6. Gary Kaufman

Why you shouldn't just plug in a vintage tube amp....

Courtesy of Ebay: "This unit has not been tested, selling as-is. 3 of the 4 tubes light up"
  7. Gary Kaufman

Dynaco tube manuals

Several years ago I scanned all of the vintage Dynaco tube manuals into PDF files and sold them on CDRom. I've intended to post them on the web for free downloading - but until recently just didn't find the time. They're finally up at: http://www.the-planet.org/Dynaco.html I'd ask...
  8. Gary Kaufman

Technics SL1200MK2 repair help

I have an unhealthy SL1200MK2 here that I'm working on - the motor isn't working. Lights come on, platter spins freely, LED strobe seems to function normally when the platter is manually spun in both 33 and 45. I have a copy of the manual from the web and power supply voltages seem fine...
  9. Gary Kaufman

Panasonic AN6675 source?

I've been searching for a replacement AN6675 (motor drive IC for a Technics SL1200MK2 turntable) without any luck. Anyone know of a source that actually has it in stock? - Gary
  10. Gary Kaufman

Stanton 681EEE Styli

I have a 681EEE cartridge that I purchased and used back in the 1970's. I have a batch of replacement styli from that time that I received from a record pressing plant that was closing. Two of the styli are marked with EEE, two have just a silver oval and one is marked with AMC. I was...
  11. Gary Kaufman

MC60 Pre and Post restoration

I decided to tackle one of the worse MC60's I've ever seen for a restoration. It literally came out of the bottom of a barn! Pre-Restoration: http://www.the-planet.org/images/mc60_1.jpg Post-Restoration: http://www.the-planet.org/images/mc60_2.jpg It's an early MC60 with phenolic...
  12. Gary Kaufman

Blue Plastic (Behind meters)

What have folks used to replace the thin blue plastic sheeting that sits behind the meters? Mine has a chunk that has melted and crumbled. - Gary
  13. Gary Kaufman

MC75 Bias

Many thanks to all the help/info recently with my MC2205. I'm going thru a pile of Mcintosh gear that I've been intending to rebuild for some time. Next up is a pair of MC75's. I was wondering what resistor changes folks have found appropriate to keep the bias in range? I suppose I...
  14. Gary Kaufman

Mc2205 Help Needed

I was given a Mc2205 that was boxed up years ago in Hawaii. It has a significant amount of surface rust, but doesn't look bad in the case. I have lots of tube Mcintosh gear, but I'm not much into solid state. The unit came up very nicely on a variac over several hours and started playing...
Back
Top Bottom