Search results

1. cuda440

Cuda's SX-636 #2

I am just finishing up another SX-636 and trying to dial in the bias to the specified 20mv. The best I can get to is about 26mv. Should I be happy with this or dig into why I can't do better? The whole unit has received the usual recap and new silicon. Could the new parts be pushing the...
  2. cuda440

Just finished an SX-636, but left with one small issue

Just completed the recap/retrans process on a beautiful SX-636. The last step was to adjust the bias to 20mv as the service manual describes. Left channel okay, right channel required turning the pot all the way down to the stop and even then it only got to 21.5mv. Should I care? The setting...
  3. cuda440

Dynamo Hum

Why does touching one of the Pre out - Power in jumpers in the back of my SX-1050 induce so much hum? Seems to affect one channel much more than the other. Is there something amiss?
  4. cuda440

PL-530 cueing lever sluggish

I was given a PL-530 in good working order except for the cueing lever, which works, but it moves rather slowly. Is there a simple service procedure? Like a well placed drop of 3-in-1?
  5. cuda440

PL-530, weighty question

I was just given a PL-530 turntable, in good condition and am looking forward to add it to my system, however it is missing the "lateral bar" and "lateral weight". It appears these parts augment the main balance weight, but their adjustment isn't critical as the manual instructs to place the...
  6. cuda440

Cuda's next SX-838, need help

I found a reasonably priced SX-838 on ebay, known to have problems, so I got it. In pretty nice shape and appears to be untouched. Put it on the DBT, dims quickly, protection relay clicks on. Good start. Put a speaker on one channel, played from aux for about 10 seconds, relay clicks off...
  7. cuda440

No SX-434 BOM, is there?

Couldn't find one, but it's a pretty simple piece of gear so not a lot of parts to hunt down. Still, I could use some help on the transistor substitutions. I did an AK search on each of the original Qs to see what had been done in the past on other receivers, but in some cases there were a...
  8. cuda440

What is this?

I'm trying to fix a 1960's 10 transistor radio for a friend and as I have no expertise in this area (and no schematic), I'm going through components one by one, testing as I go. My cheap component tester showed me the results after testing one of the transistors and there was a schematic symbol...
  9. cuda440

Lost in the Sherwood SEL-200 forest

I'm in the middle of debugging this SEL-200, one that came to me in some unknown state of mid-repair. What I know: 1. One of the four output transistors is bad. These are all of the same type and labeled SEL-200. 2. There's some problem with the left audio driver board, which may be related...
  10. cuda440

Investing in tuner alignment gear?

I seem to be getting more involved in restoring/repairing vintage gear, but like most here, have stayed away from the tuner sections due to the specialized gear and knowledge required. Would it be foolhardy to acquire the gear to do alignments? If not, what would I need to get other than a set...
  11. cuda440

Poor Man's FM Alignment?

Is there a procedure here for a poor man's FM alignment, that is, using FM stations at the ends of the dial to do some rudimentary alignment? I'm about to button up a 2230 and thought I'd try to dial it in. I did a couple of Pioneer receivers with a procedure found in that forum and they...
  12. cuda440

No DeOxit in Power Switches?

So I was over at the Marantz forum asking about a broken power switch on a 2230 and I was advised, after the fact, to not use DeOxit on power switches. I don't recall ever hearing that here on the Pioneer forum. Did I miss something?
  13. cuda440

2230 Power Switch Repair?

I was in the middle of reassembling my first Marantz of any kind, a 2230 that had only been given a deoxit treatment of the pushbutton switches, when the power switch decided to quite latching in the ON position. It had worked moments before. I finished the deoxit treatment, put the bottom...
  14. cuda440

SX-1500TD, good candidate?

I'm going to pick up a SX-1500TD this weekend, found on CL. Price is good, but I have no idea how functional it is. Good choice for a refurb? Don't plan on keeping it, just plan on getting it up to snuff before passing it on to a new owner. Anything I should know about this one?
  15. cuda440

Cuda's 2000x

Sometime in the next month or so I'm going to be tasked with a "recap" of a 2000X. My expertise, if you can call it that, is with Pioneer receivers, the X2X, X3X, and X50 series, of which I have refurbed a half dozen. This will be my first Sansui (though my first real stereo was anchored by a...
  16. cuda440

Speaker connections frustration

As much as we love our Pioneer gear, I think we can agree that the speaker connections on the backs of some of the most popular amps/receivers (and most speakers themselves) leave something to be desired. That little hole into which you desperately try to slip the twisted speaker wire...
  17. cuda440

A turntable to complete my collection

I currently own a PL-500 (gifted by a friend) with some mechanical issues and a bare bones Technics SL-D2 (purchased new back in the day). The Technics is the one I use, but I like the automatic features of the 500 and would like to have a vintage Pioneer automatic TT to compliment my...
  18. cuda440

Kenneth, what is the frequency?

I asked this question in my 838 refurb thread, but got no takers, so I thought I'd break it out on it's own for more visibility. Is there a reasonably safe method for dialing in an FM tuner where the dial pointer doesn't line up with the tuned frequency, a method that doesn't involve alignment...
  19. cuda440

Cuda's SX-737 Refurb #3

Found yet another SX-737 (my third) that needs a little love. I'll be giving it the usual recap, new silicon, relay, clean and polish. I'll document the process here if you want to sign along. Cosmetically it's in pretty nice shape. The vinyl case is good, as is the face plate and bottom...
  20. cuda440

New Barter Town Rules

What are your feelings on the new Barter Town rules? Mostly okay I suppose, but I don't understand why conversations within a posting are no longer allowed, that is, everything must be handled as a pm. I often enjoyed the comments about the pieces of gear offered. I pm'd the admin to enquire...
  21. cuda440

KSC1845 Substitute?

I'm in the process of restocking components for an upcoming SX-737 refurb and was able to get everything I needed from Mouser except the KSC1845, of which they are out of stock. Since the rest of my order is with Mouser, I don't really want to go to Digi-Key or some such, so what would be a...
  22. cuda440

Protecting the STV4

Much has been said about the delicate STV4 varistors (and their ilk), that is, how much care must be taken when working around them and how doomed you are if you don't. Break a lead off at the body and you're pretty much done for as it probably can't be fixed and the only source for a...
  23. cuda440

Can't set bias right channel only, 838.

I just completed the refurb of the power amp on a SX-838. Came up fine on the DBT, relay clicks in, sound is heard in both channels. Same for off the DBT. Having no trouble setting the offset and bias on the left channel, but the right channel bias is reading zero and doesn't change when I...
  24. cuda440

Resistor Kit?

I have yet to encounter a need to replace any resistors in the small number of refurbs I've done so far, though I'm sure it will come up some day (in fact it may be today). I'd hate to find myself needing some and having to wait for a Mouser order, so was thinking I should have some in stock...
  25. cuda440

Cuda's SX-838 Refub Thread

I'm setting aside the SX-850 for now while I consider how to get the brightness of the indictor lamps to be correct. In the mean time I picked up an SX-838 on CL a couple of weeks ago for $100. The owner claimed to have found it on the side of a road. It is supposed to be working only...
Back
Top Bottom