Search results

1. tw1st

Got a new book!

...let's see the photo! Unless of course its the front cover :rockon:
  2. tw1st

Stylus for PL-S50?

That's a vintage Grado cartridge you have there on your PL-S50, and Grado bodies all take the same size stylus I believe. I believe this will be your most affordable option: https://www.lpgear.com/product/GRABLKSTY.html
  3. tw1st

Pyle PP999 phono stage

I picked up the cheapo Pyle for less than $18 CAD on Amazon as a backup / curiosity. Right out of the box it is certainly workable, impressive for the price. I'd prefer not to have to order from jameco in the US - would this Amazon Canada power supply do the trick? (Nearly as much as the...
  4. tw1st

late 70s-80s mid range turntable cart recommendations/options

And if not a M97 (Era IV) as the poster above suggested, an M95HE would perform similarly, just without the dynamic stabilizer brush. These options are what Mister Pig is referring to as "the second hand market with classic manufacturers and the bodies, and its a crap shoot if OEM styli can be...
  5. tw1st

Reminder to not sleep on Shure cartridges

I hesitate to agree and boost the visibility of this thread, but only because I selfishly don't feel like I have a big enough cache of replacement styli for all my Shure cartridges yet, and I still need to get my hands on a V15 III and V. So yeah uh Shures are no good, people.
  6. tw1st

Need help with cart/stylus id.

Yes, this is the move. Or send it to me - I have a NOS Super Track Plus but no V15/III.
  7. tw1st

Need help with cart/stylus id.

Cheap styli for the V15/III here: https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=764&SearchType=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Shure&Categories= There also seems to be options on ebay, though nothing in that price range will perform at the same level as an original / genuine Super...
  8. tw1st

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

https://www.discogs.com/release/4636115-Flume-Flume I don’t know how to fancy it up like Ken above, there’s the discogs though.
  9. tw1st

Playing around with my backup turntable… this M95HE sounds great and I think will live here from now on.
  10. tw1st

Grace F-9 stylus?

It could be an F-8C: http://blog.livedoor.jp/jt8085jp/archives/52165696.html
  11. tw1st

12. tw1st

13. tw1st

Awesome man i'm jealous! Keep posting Screw and any other H-town shit!
  14. tw1st

First thing I see when I open this thread while spinning…
  15. tw1st

Technics SL-D2 Dust Cover Compatibility

I missed the 'than' in your previous post - reading hasn't been my strong suit this morning. Maybe you can use the dust cover's condition as a bargaining chip in price negotiations. AFAIK the SL-D2 and SL-Q2 (The model that I actually own...) are quite similar with the main difference being a...
  16. tw1st

Technics SL-D2 Dust Cover Compatibility

If they're 'higher' then they have more clearance? That doesn't seem like it would be an issue. Anyway I have an SL-Q2 and I believe the dust covers to be identical between them. Be careful as the plastic tabs that fit into the TT's hinges are a common failure point. EDIT: My now-spare table...
  17. tw1st

Technics SL-1210G Turntable Cartridge/Stylus Recommendations

Oh I must've gotten my wires crossed reading another thread about cartridges where the phono stage was brought up, my mistake. I'm just getting back into the mix after a few years neglecting the hobby. I too was turned off by MC carts not having replaceable styli, but had considered that same...
  18. tw1st

MC are typically fixed-stylus cartridges meaning they are not user-replaceable and will need to be retipped once broken / worn. More advanced stylus tip profiles could be fun to try out - you have an early line-contact in the Shure HE styli if you find/have a suitable body, and can upgrade the...
  19. tw1st

Could be the original Shibata ATN12S which would be exciting. You have more than enough to keep you busy for a while for sure!
  20. tw1st

Your Super Track Plus and V15 Type III is quite the combo. And the N97HE is a hell of a stylus as well - I'm not familiar with the 'premium' cartridge, do you have a cartridge on hand that can fit this stylus? If not you should look for a M97HE / Realistic RXT4 body for that bad boy! I think...
  21. tw1st

Possible Cure for Collapsed Stylus Suspension

Thanks! Yes that's a Shure VN45HE with the opposite problem of most - they usually have hardened suspensions. It was unusable before so I'm already calling it a success barring an unfortunate mishap. Now I need to finish my hunt for Rawn Re-Grip to address the other VN45HEs...
  22. tw1st

Possible Cure for Collapsed Stylus Suspension

3.5 years later and I finally got some WD-40… A preliminary test after letting it sit overnight is promising: tracks and sounds great, but riding low still at 1g. Added another drop or two and splinted til tomorrow or I get impatient tonight.
  23. tw1st

Shure Shootout: V15V, V15V-MR vs V15-RS/V15VxMR, M97xE, M97xJMR

Well the epoxy worked just fine. I decided to slap my N97HE in as far as it would go into the VST-III (even though @wualta says - or used to - that it shouldn’t work) and I must say so far it sounds excellent and looks cooler in all black than the old brown M97 on my LT table. I think it’ll be...
  24. tw1st

Why of course - I have a lightly used ML120HE with spare NOS N120HE and N140HE styli. I had been building my Shure collection to lessen the wear on these beauties. I have a decent spread of original Shure needles to keep me busy and not overwork the ML120HE. Today I was listening with an M97HE...
  25. tw1st

I'm gonna give this a go this weekend I think. Then I suppose it's time to find a nice stylus for this - I think the original plan for this was a JICO SAS, maybe boron. Is that what your recommendation would be for a V15-RS / VST-III in 2022?
Back
Top Bottom