Search results

1. tw1st

Hardened stylus suspension

I posted a thread titled “eBay score” less than 10 minutes ago. Comically, I ended the post with “I hope the suspension hasn’t hardened!” This is the subject of that now-deleted post: I listened to a few tracks on a favourite LP with my 4772-DHE, and then swapped it for this stylus. Right...
  2. tw1st

Vintage Grado score?

I recently picked up a used Technics SL-Q2 (another one...) for my father-in-law, advertised as coming with "xtra stylus" and the photos showed a Shure M95HE, so I was excited. The turntable did in fact have an M95HE with original stylus, but the "xtra stylus" was actually two NOS Grado MTE+1...
  3. tw1st

"VINTAGE" Ed Saunders styli

I know all about the controversy and decline in quality since Ed stopped running the business. My question is, prior to that, how good were his styli really? Was there a way to identify these styli vs. other aftermarket versions? Any idea as to the stylus tip profile? There is a V15 V...
  4. tw1st

Audio Technica cartridge dimensions

I don't know if this is the right terminology, but I am looking for the "dimensions" of certain Audio Technica cartridges, or better yet, confirmation that most / many AT carts are the same. What I mean by dimensions is the distance from the mounting holes to the stylus tip, as well the width of...
  5. tw1st

Sibilance / disortion

I am writing this after finishing listening to the MFSL Crime of the Century LP, with headphones, front to back, without a hint of sibilance or discernible distortion of any kind. This is on my Mitsubishi LT-22 through a Shure ML120HE. I have struggled with sibilance, inner groove distortion...
  6. tw1st

Stylus gunk removal

I just picked up a Mitsubishi LT-22 (listening now, pretty impressed!) which came with an AT ATP-3 with a pretty gunked up stylus. I've attached some pics. Magic Eraser did next to nothing. I'm assuming it'll need some sort of fluid / solvent, if anything will work. Ideas? It's a nude .3 x...
  7. tw1st

Vintage Shure stylus tip shapes

In an attempt to consolidate information about the different stylus tip shapes / profiles manufactured by Shure in the late 70s and onwards, I present to you three graphics taken from Shure literature from the era: The 2nd image has been modified slightly by me to include the tip...
  8. tw1st

Custom base (plinth?) material & turntable recommendations

Hi everyone, My father-in-law has access to a fancy water jet cutter and has expressed interest in perhaps trying his hand at creating a custom turntable base (or is it plinth? I am not exactly clear) made out of a heavy material. The first idea was marble / granite but I have now read that...
Back
Top Bottom