Search results

1. Vez

Looking For Speaker Repair Near VA/DC/MD

I have a 1962 Jensen C12-PS that seized up and I'm looking for speaker repair near N. Virginia. Thank you, Rick
  2. Vez

Is a Jensen PM12h a Field Coil Speaker?

Hi, Is a Jensen PM12h a Field Coil Speaker? Thanks!
  3. Vez

Ground questions

I'm getting a 60hz hum while idle and I think it's a ground issue. Volume has no affect on this hum. The amp is a double ended small watt Epiphone guitar amp. In the photos below the transformer is grounded on its out on the left. Then there is three terminal strips each with a grounded lug, the...
  4. Vez

Miniature Power Resistors

Has anyone tried these small metal film power resistors. They are the size of normal 1/2 watt resistors. I'm thinking of using them as dropping resistors in the B+ in a guitar amp. Thanx. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/vishay-bc-components/PR01000101002JR500/PPC10KW-1CT-ND/597177
  5. Vez

How Many Watts Should Bias Pot on a 6V6gt?

I have a push pull guitar amp and the power tubes (6v6gt) share a 250 ohm resistor. I'd like to replace it with a pot. How many watts should it be rated for? Any suggested sources of brands? Thanks
  6. Vez

OT Primary Taps Resistance Differ

I have an old guitar amp that's a cathode biased 6v6 push pull and I was checking the plate dissipation. I started out measuring the resistance from pin 8 of my 5y3 rectifier tube to the plate on each 6v6gt and there was a 200 ohm difference between the two. One read 531 ohms and the other read...
  7. Vez

What are Jensen PS Speakers?

I've seen C12PS . I've also seen P12P. What does the PS and P designations mean? Are these full range speakers? Thank you, -Rick
  8. Vez

Reverb Repair Help

Greetings everyone I'm new to this forum. I have a 1966 Magnatone MP5 that has a broken reverb tank. The tank is made by Gibbs Mfg and my ohmmeter reads open circuit on one of the transducers in the tank. I thought perhaps I could unwrap a few windings and resolder them. And boy, those wires on...
  9. Vez

What is the Purpose of the 220K Resistor?

Thanks
  10. Vez

Rectifier Diodes

Do you guys usually replace the diodes rectifying the B+ when you're rebuilding an amp? Are you particular and about them? Or, do you just install 1N4007's or whatever you have on hand. Thanks, Rick
  11. Vez

Replacing Components on Turret Board

What's the best way to take components off this kind of turret board? (Do you even call this a Turret board?) I'm working on a 1966 Magnatone. Do i take all leads out of a single turret to replace a single lead? Do I resolder from the rear of the turret? Thanks, Rick
  12. Vez

Can I match these tubes better?

Hi, I'm working on my Silvertone 1484. It's a grid biased push pull with two 6L6gc's. One tube is reading .0431 amps and the other reads .0214 amps. Dissipation is 20.7 and 10.3 watts respectively. I tried raising the grid bias resistor for the weak tube from 330k to 1m but that didnt work. The...
  13. Vez

Question about coupling capacitors and filtering

I hope this is a stupid question but, are any other frequencies blocked by coupling capacitors that are lower than frequencies blocked from a previous stage's coupling capacitor? In other words, if the first stage couples to the second stage with a .01uf, is it not pointless to expect larger...
  14. Vez

What's a Good Handheld DMM for Under $50usd?

After 34 years of faithful service my Beckman CircuitMate has gone to DMM heaven. I need all the normal stuff like, auto-ranging, diode test, transistor hfe, backlite, continuity buzzer. It be nice to have a folding stand. Also, does anyone know if they make one that tests for transistor...
  15. Vez

Dayton Capacitors

I've got a couple bags of these marked "DAYTON PPT J 400V". I have no idea how old they are. What are these typically used for, and are they any good? Would they make good coupling caps? Is "PPT" polypropylene? Thank you.
  16. Vez

Question About Power Transformer

I have a Stromberg Carlson SAU-70 amp that got wet (leaky roof) and sat a while. I've always liked this amp because it had two rectifier tubes. One for the 6550 plates and another for the preamp. Since it got wet, it plays but when i bring it up to full voltage on the variac it blow fuses. After...
  17. Vez

Could my Output Transformer be Shorting Against It's Frame?

Has any one heard of such? Hello everyone new member here. I have a 1949 Gibson GA30 with the OT mounted on the speaker basket. The amp is working. I just replaced some plate resistors and some coupling and tone capacitors. When I touched the speaker I became acutely aware that there is...
  18. Vez

Could my Output Transformer be Shorting Against It's Frame?

Has any one heard of such? Hello everyone new member here. I have a 1949 Gibson GA30 with the OT mounted on the speaker basket. The amp is working. I just replaced some plate resistors and some coupling and tone capacitors. When I touched the speaker I became acutely aware that there is...
Back
Top Bottom