Search results

1. C

Accell Ultra audio speaker cable

Hi. Is this a good speaker wire? I can get a 250' spool (used) for $10. I've been using the same 14 gauge Monster cable for the last 30 years.
  2. C

Old Denon vs New Denon - CD Players

I have a Denon DVD2900 that I have used as my dedicated CD player for the last 25 years. It starting to not play some of my CD's or pausing after a few minutes of playing of other CD's. Is this easily fixable - either by cleaning the laser or replacing it? Or should I bite the bullet and get a...
  3. C

Honegger Complete Symphonies Cycle

Hi. I'm looking to purchase a copy of the Honegger 5 Symphonies (actuality 2 - one on CD and one on vinyl). The 2 most talked about sets are the Baudo with the Czech Philharmonic and the Dutoit with the Bavarian Radio Symphony. I think I want the Baudo on vinyl and the Dutoit on CD (I have...
  4. C

Time to upgrade my turntable?

I'm thinking about getting a new turntable to replace my 4 year old Pro-ject Debut Carbon with an acrylic platter and 2M Blue cartridge (with about 600 hours on it). My budget right now is about $1000 but would consider spending a bit more for right turntable. Currently my system consists of a...
  5. C

Sonny Rollins Tenor Madness - 2011 OJC pressing vs 2009 Hi Horse Records

Would anyone care to comment on these two vinyl pressings as to which sounds better? I can get either from Amazon - $18 for the OJC pressing or $28 for the Hi Horse Records. If what I read was accurate, the OJC pressing was remastered by Kevin Gray at RTI. I can't find anything about Hi Horse...
  6. C

John Coltrane A Love Supreme Acoustic Sounds 33 1/3 vs Analogue Productions 45

Hello. Would anyone care to comment on which version sounds better and if it's worth the price difference? I have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon (with acrylic platter) with an Ortofon 2M Blue Cart. This is going through a Sansui B-2101 200 wpc amp into ADS L1290 speakers. And I'm 61 years old so my...
  7. C

Adding an impulse noise reduction system

Hello all. I have 2 impulse noise reduction devices I would like to integrate in my audio system. I have both the SAE 5000a and Burwen Research TNE 7000a units. Currently my system is set up with a Yamaha DSP A1 integrated amp (using it just as a preamp through the preamp out ports) which is...
  8. C

Teac AN-80 Noise Restriction System

Hello all. I just came across this unit for sale and was wondering if I could use it real time to reduce surface noise on LP's? Thanks
  9. C

Sonny Rollins Freedom Suite/Shadow Waltz

Hello and happy new year. I have both the Riverside (OJC-067) mono re-issue (1983) and Jazzland (JLP 986) stereo re-issue (1962) of this recording. I've noticed the Jazzland version, despite indicating its in stereo, just appears to sound mono with most of the sound coming from the right...
  10. C

The Resurgence of Dexter Gordon

Hello all. I'm looking to purchase a copy of the Resurgence of Dexter Gordon and was wondering which version would have the best sound quality. I have seen the original 1960 Jazzland recording, which I see listed on eBay for at least $50 pre-owned, an early 80's release on Prestige and 2016...
  11. C

ADS L1290 Speakers

Hello all and happy Memorial Day weekend. I recently made a couple changes to my audio system. I was using a Yamaha DSP A1 integrated amp (about 120 watts per channel) with a set of Wharfedale Rubiance RB-27 floor standing speakers (both about 20 years old). I recently acquired a pair of ADS...
  12. C

ADS L1290 Speakers

Hello all and happy Memorial Day weekend. I recently made a couple changes to my audio system. I was using a Yamaha DSP A1 integrated amp (about 120 watts per channel) with a set of Wharfedale Rubiance RB-27 floor standing speakers (both about 20 years old). I recently acquired a pair of ADS...
  13. C

Turntable Hum

Hello all. I have a very unusual issue that just started a couple days ago. I noticed some hum when my cartridge came in contact with a record (Project Debut Carbon with an Ortofon 2M Blue) turntable on. The hum isn't as loud as say when you remove one channel of your interconnect and also...
  14. C

KLH Kendall Speakers vs Vandersteen 2CE Sigs

Hello all. I am curious into this comparison as I recently met Dave Kelley at World Wide Stereo in Philadelphia suburbs and listened to a pair of KLH Kendall speakers. It was suggested that their soundstage was similar to or even better than that of the Vandersteens. I have been looking to get a...
  15. C

Evaluating Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones

Hello. I've been trying to pick out a nice set of reasonably priced headphones. Currently I own the Bohm B76 headphones which I have used for the last couple years. I have no real issues with them, but have been wondering if I can get something better sounding. So I bought the Sennheiser HD 4.50...
  16. C

Dvorak - The Nine Symphonies - Istvan Kertesz

Hello. I'm looking at purchasing the box set of Antonin Dvorak nine symphonies on Decca with Istvan Kertesz and the London Symphony Orchestra. There are two sets from the UK, both pressed in 1971 (D6D-7 and SXLD 6515-21). Would anybody know what the differences are between these two sets? I...
  17. C

Dave Brubeck Time Out on CD

Hello all. Would anybody know the difference between the 1987 release of Dave Brubeck's Time Out on CD CK 40585 versus the 1997 release CK 65122? Thanks.
  18. C

My music sounds brighter

Hello all. All of a sudden my music sounds brighter whether I'm listening to a record or a CD. I do have to turn down the treble a bit to compensate for this and make it pleasurable to listen to. Nothing has changed with my electronics which consists of a Yanaha DSP A1 integrated amp, DBX 3BX DS...
  19. C

Verdi's Macbeth Opera with Riccardo Muti

Hello. I'm trying to determine which would be the better copy of Verdi's Macbeth with Riccardo Muti. I have seen two versions. One is a 3 record set on Angel. The other is a 2 record set on Emi Angel, digitally remastered and DMM. I would assume there is some music missing from the two record...
  20. C

Rocketfish Audio RCA Connectors vs Discwasher Gold-en's

Hello. I recently purchased several Rocketfish audio RCA connectors from Best Buy as they were on sale for under $5 (for the 4 ft model), with the idea of replacing my 35 year old 3 ft Discwasher Gold-en's that I purchased at RadioShack. I don't think there's anything wrong with my existing...
  21. C

Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition

Hello all. I have two recordings of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra on Columbia (M 30448 and M 31826 with the latter being a Definitive Performances recording). They both have the orange lettering on the gray background. I am curious as...
  22. C

Dvorak - The Nine Symphonies - Istvan Kertesz

Hi all. I'm looking to purchase a complete LP set of the Nine Symphonies of Antonin Dvorak with Istvan Kertesz and the London Symphony Orchestra. I noticed there are two versions of this, one on Mercury (Murray Hill) and one on Decca. What's the difference between these two sets (aside from...
  23. C

Vandersteen 2CE Signature Speaker's

Hello. I recently auditioned a used pair of Vandersteen 2CE Signature speakers. I found them to be amazing for jazz (lots of detail, great imaging) - really everything I read about on how these speakers sound. However, upon listening to classical (full orchestral recordings of Mahler...
  24. C

Columbia Masterworks Record Labels

Hello. What is the difference between the 2 pictured record labels? I thought the 6 eye version (top) would be an original pressing with the orange lettered version (bottom) would be a reissue. But they both have the same catalog number.
  25. C

Yamaha DSP-A1 built in graphic equalizer

Is anyone familiar with 5 band graphic equalizer feature built into the Yamaha DSP-A1? According to the manual, it only affects the center channel. As I'm only using this for audio (with the rear channels and the concert hall/jazz club DSP modes), does anyone know how I can use this for the...
Back
Top Bottom