Search results

1. MikeFrank

High Volume Feedback Assistance

As I have been fortunate to upgrade my audio equipment, I have had a new problem arise. When I try and play an album at a slightly higher volume, I get low, deep audio feedback noise. Researching the situation, I firmly believe it is an audio vibration feedback loop. I can play a CD player or...
  2. MikeFrank

Thoughts on 2270/2275/2285/2285b/2325

Through trial and error, I have determined I am a Marantz guy. I love everything about them. My main system now is a 2250b and it has served me well for years. I am especially drawn to that "warm" sound. It just suits my personal preference. I would like to add to the collection and I have...
  3. MikeFrank

MC2100 vs MC2125

As I continue to dip my toes into the McIntosh waters, I have had a couple good opportunities arise to pair one of these 2 amps with my MX117 Tuner Preamp. So I'd like to know, what are your thoughts as Mac people? What are the pros and cons of these 2 amps in your opinions? The 2125 is going...
  4. MikeFrank

Audio Cabinets/Shelves

Anyone have a really good option for cabinets or shelf units to hold audio equipment? Most of what I find is either glass and too weak to hold heftier equipment, too small length/width for the equipment, or just looks like trash. I don't have the room setup to place the equipment on a wide...
  5. MikeFrank

Systems with an Amp and Pre-Amp

I will apologize if this is a simple question, but I have tried looking online and can't seem to find the right combination of searching words to find my answer. If you have a system with both a preamp and an amp, which one will affect the sound more? I'll try and be more specific. I have...
  6. MikeFrank

Klipsch-related advice needed

If you have any familiarity with "Cornscalas" and are willing to have a short chat, please message me directly. Doesn't need to be a big thread, just looking for someone with some knowledge willing to help a complete stranger out for a few minutes. Edit: Thought I should clarify a bit more...
  7. MikeFrank

General Speaker/Watt Question

Looking for some basic information that is confusing me a bit. I am going to purchase a specific amp and I have been doing some research on it. The amp puts out 120 watts per channel into 8 ohms. My current speakers say power handling is 100 w (400 w peak). Nominal Impedance 8 ohms. So my...
  8. MikeFrank

Another help a new guy thread

Whelp...I just came home with my first McIntosh. It is a MX117 and I have many questions. First and foremost, what would be some of the recommended McIntosh amps to pair with this beauty? I am not made of money, so a bang-for-the-buck recommendation would be awesome. One of my other systems...
  9. MikeFrank

Equipment Repair/Recapping

Taking a shot in the dark here. I am looking for a reputable, thorough electronics repair/recapping person or business in Wisconsin. I'd like someone who really knows what they are doing and isn't just a hobbyist or a TV repair guy. I am between Madison and Milwaukee and would travel a couple...
  10. MikeFrank

Mysterious Vinyl Issue

Before I explain what I am seeing, I want to first stress that I am an extremely careful guy. I got into vinyl collecting over a year ago and take great care when handling them. With that said, here is what I am seeing and I have no real explanation for it. My collection is a mix of mostly...
  11. MikeFrank

Noise problem with Project/one DR-771

I am going to take a chance that maybe one or more of you can help diagnose and recommend a fix for a problem I have with one of my turntables. When I play this TT, there is a specific noise that can be heard at all audio levels. I recorded the sound as best I could so you can hear the noise...
  12. MikeFrank

Empire EXL 20 - Stylus recommendations

I recently got a Marantz 6100 TT that has an Empire EXL 20 (not the improved version) cartridge. The owner said the stylus has some time on it, so I'd like to find a good replacement for it. Could some of you fine people recommend a replacement stylus for that cartridge? I'd say I am willing...
  13. MikeFrank

Project/one DR-771 Cartridge

Can someone recommend a decent cartridge in the $25-$75 range for this turntable? Thanks for your help.
  14. MikeFrank

Speaker & Receiver OHM

I have been reading information on this issue and I think I have a general understanding of the principle. I have a pair of speakers locally that are interesting (The are DLK 1 1/2 if you are interested.) I have verified with the seller they are 4 ohm speakers. I also understand that playing...
  15. MikeFrank

Differences in volume

I am pretty new to the amp/receiver/speakers community, and I have a question I hope doesn't embarrass me too much. I have 2 receivers right now. One is a Pioneer SX-650. The other is a Marantz 2230. I don't need to play them both super loud, but when I do turn up the volume, I notice the...
  16. MikeFrank

Klipsch SF2 Grills

I have a pair of SF2's but they didn't come with grills. Anyone know where to get grills or does anyone have a pair of grills that are just collecting dust? I do check Craigslist and Ebay for them, but not much luck. I did look at a company that makes grill kits but I had concerns about how...
  17. MikeFrank

EPI 180 Speakers with a Pioneer SX 650 receiver

I am considering pairing my SX 650 receiver (which I love, many thanks to all the good information on this site) with a pair of EPI 180 speakers. I have done my reading as best I can, but I am still struggling a bit to understand the speaker/receiver compatibility issue. I will continue to...
  18. MikeFrank

Purchasing first system (your opinions are valued)

Hello All, First off, I want to thank you all for all the content and advice I have read leading up to this point. Your passion for audio, especially the vintage audio, is clear. You seem to be a true community and I have appreciated your knowledge as I have been dipping my toes into the...
Back
Top Bottom