Search results

1. Archguy

Thorens Resto-Mod -- Advice Welcome

This is being constructed from two TTs, a TD-160 and TD-165. Trying to keep the best parts of each. As you can see I'm well along with the cosmetics and fortunately the working parts are (mostly) working well. Now since that photo was taken, I've sourced a new TP-16 Tonearm because I was...
  2. Archguy

New Dream System

Haha, made you look, no it's not mine but it's new on the McIntosh site. Click to enlarge. Normally with my Architect hat and/or my Audiophile hat I have something to complain about when looking at installations which--let's face it--are driven more by marketing than anything else. But...
  3. Archguy

New Year, New Roiurama Crossover Design!

Expanding our expertise into new audio arenas, Roiurama are proud to present our latest triumph, the Evanescent Cryo Crossover Tested in the lab by playing old Caruso 78s backward for 90 days continuous! Please don't ask what's in the little vials! It's a trade secret! Order now and we'll...
  4. Archguy

What do you do when a package vanishes? (FedEx)

Something important was shipped to me on Nov.30 and as of today (Dec.9) this is all I can determine via the tracking number: It used to be that you could call FedEx and speak to a representative who would tell you that there's no further information available. Now the phone number will no...
  5. Archguy

You came in late

What were you an extreme late-comer to?? For me, it was the Allman Brothers. I love them. Until a year ago all I knew were their few biggest hits. Now this week it's Leo Kottke. Had always heard of him, thought he was someone like Tom Waite. Good stuff. I may be the last person on earth...
  6. Archguy

Can you explain

Why every windows computer slows to a crawl when it's about one year old? Is it planned obsolescence? Something I need to clear out? I have a stack of old laptops. It's kinda weird.
  7. Archguy

My Harbeth Saga

Summary: I bought a pair of Harbeths and liked them so much I bought another pair. But wait there's more! M30.1 (left) and C7 S2 (right) It all began when a small ship came in for me, just before Covid Times. Naturally I thought of what audio equipment I'd like. For the past year or so...
  8. Archguy

Your favorite speaker cable terminations

Not interested in discussing the pros and cons--we have many threads for that already. Just want to know the proportions of preferences because it seems to me lately that many more people are requesting banana plugs on both ends. Something I've never done! TIA.
  9. Archguy

What did you / will you run out of first?

Have been isolated since March 11 and obviously fresh produce was the first to go. That's something you really need to purchase every couple of days in the best of times--particularly green, leafy vegetables which are a particular favorite of mine. Should have bought frozen spinach! And I'm...
  10. Archguy

Ultimate Calming Music (for turbulent times)

Arthur Honegger: Pastorale d'été
  11. Archguy

On what date did you isolate?

Looking for the date when you went no-contact. You and your household if applicable. As well: what exceptions you've made or anticipate making. In my case, it was the evening of March 11. The only times I've left the property since were twice to the post office to mail small packages, but I...
  12. Archguy

How old were you when you got your tenth McIntosh?

Re: When You Got Your First Mac. Sorta kidding, sorta not. These are #10, 11, and 12 here. Lovin' it of course!
  13. Archguy

The Two Thousand Pound Book

Well I think I have that right. I've shown it here parked on my terrazzo driveway with a couple cars for scale. It's incredibly heavy. I find it irresistible, not only for the subject matter but the fact that it treats the last quarter of the twentieth century, when I happened to live in NYC...
  14. Archguy

Coronavirus News -- PLEASE No Politics

Back when the UK was afflicted with Hoof & Mouth disease, the authorities at IAD (where I returned to the USA) had those of us who had been in pastoral settings in the UK step into a shallow bath of disinfectant solution so that the soles of our shoes were cleansed of microbes. They didn't even...
  15. Archguy

Boston Acoustics A150 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers -- Long Island

As usual for big speakers, these are local only. Potentially a great deal though.. "Perfect Functionally and Near Mint Cosmetically" https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boston-Acoustics-A150-3-Way-Floor-Standing-Speakers/372921463807
  16. Archguy

What the heck did I just buy

It says receiver on it, but it's not like any receiver I've ever seen. What happens if the pointer goes to the right of the red line? BTW, no worries, I'm not plugging this thing in. No plug! Generally speaking I'll buy anything that says "Stromberg-Carlson" but this is one strange...
  17. Archguy

Anti-Vibration Mats for Speakers

Does anyone have a better/cheaper alternative to this? I'm about to buy a bunch but thought I should confer with people here who doubtless know much more than I do. I've got a number of moderately heavy bookshelf speakers going on wooden platforms/stands...
  18. Archguy

WE CARE A LOT

This'll buff out, right? I mean--modern CD players have error-correcting functions. Right? I really like that album. Naw, no inconvenience at all!
  19. Archguy

What does "open box" mean to you?

Apparently it doesn't mean what I thought it did. I understood it to mean new equipment which simply is no longer factory-sealed for whatever reason. Just took delivery on an "open box" CD player which I selected specifically because it wasn't labeled "demo" or "factory recertified" which the...
  20. Archguy

Harbeth, Magnepan, Emerald Physics + DeVore

Like many here, I get the upgrade bug all-too-often. Now I'm looking at speakers. I just like trying new things. Some opportunities have come up lately. Unfortunately (as usual) they are in other towns so I have to buy w/o hearing. Which breaks all the rules, right? 1. Three-way Harbeth...
  21. Archguy

Accessories

Should we have an 'Accessories' subforum in BarterTown for items like cables and phono cartridges, or should the Parts sub be renamed 'Parts and Accessories'? I ask because my cables-for-sale thread was moved days ago to the Parts subforum (which I'd always thought was for replacement parts and...
  22. Archguy

Laying Fallow?

How long would you let your treasured McIntosh integrated or power amplifier remain unused before feeling it necessary to undertake specific measures upon plugging it in again and switching it on? For example bringing it up on a Variac. Would a year and a half give you pause? Asking for a...
  23. Archguy

Shipping a Glass Amp

Thought I'd share, just for the heck of it. Jolida FX10 "Glass Amp" Tubes come in their own protective foam, which does help. More foam to hold that foam in place. The original Jolida box. Let's put that box within another. Padding all 'round of course. The spare glass...
  24. Archguy

Big-Screen Feets, HDR Format Wars, Plasma Pictures, Phrasing

Prices on 75" TVs have come down so much that they're a real temptation now, even though I hardly ever watch television. But...they all have such ungainly, flimsy-looking duck feet now. What's up with that? This LG TV has a stable-looking center mount, and so does a similar Sony, but...
  25. Archguy

They made the show

Supporting characters, without whom the show might not be worth watching. 1. Agnes Moorhead -- That show came *alive* whenever she's on the screen. Even when she's bad, she's good. "ENDORA" 2. Jane Krakowski -- I'd never have continued to watch this show if it weren't for Miss Muffin Top...
Back
Top Bottom