Search results

1. beej

Cart ID Assist

Wondering if I could, once again, tap into the collective (and seemingly inexhaustible) knowledge of my fellow AKers. This cart appears to be an early ADC but I'm not certain). Any thoughts? As always, thanks.
  2. beej

Advice Requested - New Turntable For Novice (13 y/o)

I’ve been asked by extended family who live several states away to recommend a good new starter system for a 13/yo. We should assume total beginner status so probably best to go fully auto for the turntable. I’ve IDed options for the receiver and the speakers so the turntable is next. Like to...
  3. beej

My Shure Me97HE – The Exception That Proves the Rule?

The Shure Me97HE is/was one of Shure’s Encore series intended to reintroduce certain models to the listening public – in this case the highly regarded M97HE Era IV. As best I can determine it was made available in 1989 and was manufactured primarily in Mexico. Although the specs were intended...
  4. beej

Audio Technica AT-VM95e cartridge and the Pioneer ultra-low mass tonearms

The question has been posed in this forum and elsewhere regarding the compatibility of the AT-VM95e with the Pioneer ultra-low mass polymer graphite straight pipe tonearms, models PL-2 through PL-9 and successor series, PL-930 et al. Candidly, I was skeptical of compatibility based on what I...
  5. beej

AT-VM95 specs

Just purchased an AT-VM95 for my granddaughter's PL-7 (she's running an older entry level AT at the moment). Tough to tell if it will be a good match or not. I know the older AT-95e is not. We'll see. That's not really the point of this post. I haven't purchased a new cart in more years than...
  6. beej

Shure V15 II Open Left Channel

My Shure V15 II, which has given me years of commendable listening now has an open left channel. Readings on the right are consistent what they have been 604/680 (resist/induc). Cleaned the pins still no joy. Couple of drops of deoxit on the stylus shank, multiple insert/remove cycles - no...
  7. beej

Trying to Salvage Very Old LP (1951)

A friend has given me the 2 record set of Louis Armstrong at Symphony Hall, Boston, 1947. The recording dates from 1951. They haven't been played for many years (friend has no idea how long- was her father's). I rinsed off the heavy duty crud in my deep sink, run them through my Spin Clean...
  8. beej

Cartridge output (mV) and Stylus Compatibility

I have a Shure M75ECS cart. Listed specs (Res/Induc/Wt) are identical to the M75ED (630/720/6g). Measurements are within spec (580/715/6g). Where the 2 carts differ, and quite substantially, is cart output - M75ED - 5mV as compared to M75ECS - 9.3mV). I was under the impression (perhaps...
  9. beej

New Turntable Recommendations

My wife's younger cousin has been LP dabbling and now he wants to get serious. Since virtually all of my gear is vintage I'm not up to speed re: what's out there in the new turntable market. (I can help him if he's interested in going vintage) I'd be grateful for recommendations for models...
  10. beej

Another Cart ID Thread

Apologies in advance for yet another ID request. Took a flyer on this cart. It came mounted on a very plastic headshell that looks very much like those I've seen in pics of the Pioneer PL-200 - PL-600 tables circa '79-'81. Looks like proprietary Pioneer but made by whom? Measurements Resist...
  11. beej

Hiss - Amp or Preamp?

Allow me to begin by saying I've done a search and although there are numerous hiss threads, I am unable to locate an answer to this particular question. If this has been previously addressed I apologize. I have a C26 paired with a MC250. I have each on separate outlets, each surge protected...
  12. beej

Stylus Break-in Shortcut??

Wondering if anyone has attempted this method for accelerating stylus break-in: You can speed up the break in period by leaving the cartridge in the record groove, with the turntable turned off, for two hours each night letting nature (gravity) do its thing. Found it here: Stylus break-in...
  13. beej

Technics SL-Q350 Tech Assist Request

A friend of mine has Tech SL-Q350 which he has had for quite some time. Cueing is in serious need of attention - dropping much too fast. He's capable and more than willing to address the matter but is unable to locate the service manual. I've checked and it is not on VE. I am not familiar...
  14. beej

NAD 7000 Assistance Please

Friend of mine has a NAD 7000 with a phono mode right channel issue. Other modes (tuner, CD, etc) are good on both channels. My guess is oxidation in the internals of the pushbutton phono selector. I’ve downloaded the service manual and sent it to him. Any thoughts on best way to get the...
  15. beej

My Latest Addition

Scored a very nice MR74 yesterday to keep company with my MC250 and C26 courtesy of a very fair deal with cjmustang69. Original docs to boot.
  16. beej

Duane Does Excellent Work!

I purchased a number of custom cable pairs made to order by Duane and they are simply outstanding. Superb craftsmanship for a more than reasonable price.
  17. beej

ADC Cart ID Assistance Request

‘Scored’ a lot of 14 carts on the ‘bay that included several that are quite nice along with 6 ADC carts that I am requesting assistance identifying. I have Res/Ind measurements on each and have attempted to ID as best I can by an AK search and a review of all ADC carts in the VE database. I’ve...
  18. beej

Denon DP-62L Turntable - Do I take the plunge?

Local CL is listing a mint DP-62L that includes both S-shaped and straight tonearms, original docs, 4 counterweights and NAGAOKA MP-110H MM Cartridge & Headshell. The RCA's were recently replaced by a tech I know and trust - he has done work for me. Owner is asking $800 firm. I am sorely...
  19. beej

Shure M55e Tracking Issue

Decided to shift some carts from one 'table to another. I had the M55e mounted on a Jelco HS25BR headshell (12.4g w/wires), running on my SL1200 MK2. Tracked perfectly and sounded sweet. Since VE lists dynamic compliance as 25x10-6cm/Dyne the cart should be an ideal match for my Pioneer PL-9...
  20. beej

First Headphones For My Granddaughter

I'm putting together a starter vintage system for my 13-yo granddaughter. She is a class kid, excels in school and is athletic. Yeah, I know - suspect objectivity. I've got the speakers and the turntable; receiver is on track and now the headphones. Since it'll be her first system I don't...
  21. beej

Luxman PD-264 Motor - Possible Source?

Friend of mine in Mass has a Lux PD-264 with a bad motor. His local repair shop is having difficulty locating a replacement motor. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a possible source. As always, thanks.
  22. beej

Do 2 grams of effective tonearm mass matter?

I originally posted this in the SL1200 thread but opted to move it for higher viz. I've not been able to locate this specific topic/question discussed elsewhere so if it has, mea culpa. My research tells me that the effective mass of the SL1200 MKII tonearm is 12 grams (including headshell)...
  23. beej

M95ED and R47XT - Measurements and Question

I have one of each. M95ED measures Right: R-1455/I-806; Left: R-1567/I-856 R47XT measures Right: R-1520/I-680; Left: R-1553/I-700 R47XT measurements seem to be in line with respect to left/right but there is quite a difference in the resistance between left and right on the M95ED...
  24. beej

My M55E

So I was just messing around with a couple of my carts that could stand a new stylus and I happened to find this particular stylus in my stash and thought I'd try it on my M55E. For the life of me I can't recall when or why I picked up this stylus or for which cart. I set VTF for 1 and let her...
  25. beej

Asking for a friend (seriously, I'm happy with my current rig)

An old friend (we go back to age 9) just had his Luxman bite the dust (model unknown at this time). He wants to buy new. I do not yet know his budget but he's done pretty well for himself so it will probably boil down to what he is willing to pay. Since I am by no means current on the...
Back
Top Bottom