Search results

1. N

Heathkit W7-M damping factor switch

Love that damping article. I had not seen that before. I have 5 of those Heathkit 7 series monos (and a few of the ones that combine both into one box), and am removing the damping switches, hardwiring them to MAX. Also aligning all W to version A, the latest one. Using the space for...
  2. N

Anyone bought from Speakerguy2002

I have bought from this seller as well. I purchased a Heathkit AA-121 from him. We discussed price and came to a resolution. It was correctly photographed and reflected exactly what I received. The packing was pretty good and was shipped and arrived fairly quickly. I left a positive review...
  3. N

Heathkit W7-A Cable Harness and Wire Dressing

I have built a small perfboard where I combined the following for one of my W7s: AC to DC conversion circuit for the 6AN8 only. I am leaving the EL34 heaters on AC. Selenium Rectifier replacement Updated Power Supply diodes For the AC to DC circuit, I used the Valvewizard.co.uk example as...
  4. N

Dual woofers VS a single Woofer...?

Back is enclosed. Interaction with wall is part of design, as well.
  5. N

Dual woofers VS a single Woofer...?

Interesting discussion. I do know Bang & Olufsen did have two nearly identical speakers but one had two smaller woofers than the other. The other main difference was it also was made to be a panel speaker. Beovox P45 and Beovox S45-2. Back in their passive speaker days in mid/late 70s. The...
  6. N

I have finally found some time to get back on this project. I have moved forward adding a ground bus as shown in the attached photo. As part of this project, I will be switching the 6AN8 to DC heating, which allowed me to re-route the existing AC heating lines for the two EL34s. I also...
  7. N

Yes, I have been told that the A is the later one, and has improvements from the M. The same M-A naming convention was used on the W-6, which is a larger brother to the W-7, and also the A version solved some problems in the W-6M. Good luck with your efforts!
  8. N

Good eye. Mine is a little while from being able to being run, just yet. Good luck.
  9. N

I have taken a pretty good look at both the A and the M. I have attached schematics of both. Both from www.nostalgickitscentral.com. I believe the changes went from M to A (the same as the W-6 amp as well) There are basically three areas of change: 1) The area near the Balance functionality...
  10. N

I think that they are pretty cool looking, and balanced with the large caps in the center back. I also liked the recessed areas for the EL34 and the capacitors. It allows the entire unit to have a lower, more streamlined 50s look to them. The legs are also cool looking (same era) but are a...
  11. N

Thanks for the reply Gadget73. Yes, I don't want to take full credit for the 6AN8 idea as it was one of the things that Dave Gillespie recommended I do. I do agree that making the change to the new buss arrangement now makes the most sense. I have spent a lot of time looking at the layout and...
  12. N

Background: I am working on restoring two Heathkit W-7 mono amps. One is a W-7A and the other is a W-7M, but the real difference is that one has the wiring harnesses intact and the other one I am going through the process of rebuilding. I am guessing that the cable harnesses were originally...
  13. N

Heathkit surgistor question

A number of that era Heathkits used the Surgistors. The W-7 was one as well. (https://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/heath/schematics/heathkit_schema_w7m.pdf) The installation manual refers to it minimally: In the pictorials, it is shown here. One saving grace is that it is close to the...
  14. N

Anyone in Olympia, WA

That sounds like a fairly complete restoration and it will become like new. Have you considered any improvements or do you want to keep it stock? I live in Seattle but have no contacts who I could recommend for this job. I would post this in the Marantz forum, where guys will be able to speak...
  15. N

Gillespie triode Williamson build

I have had good luck putting the unit in the oven at the lowest "bake" rating (170F) for 1/2 hr or so between each coat. Then the same with a clear coats. Note: depending on the contents of the paint/clear-coat, you might want to let it air-dry first, especially if it has really hazardous...
  16. N

Gillespie triode Williamson build

This looks great. I love the concept. Thanks for presenting it. The paint job looks very clean. Please expand on your thought process during the painting process of when to paint over everything (including original Heathkit verbiage) and when to leave it and just touch up. I am working on a...
  17. N

Tuner guru in Pacific NW?

Hi Zeke. I got a name for you in Olympia. I have never worked with the guy, but his online marketplace (ebay) presence and posts about Sansui indicate that he does rehabbing and service, focusing a lot on Sansui. He might be able to do analysis as well. His writeups indicate that he knows a...
  18. N

Clean Can capacitor rebuild. (Scott Owners)

This works great. It seems to bring all the photos to something visible. This should be the sticky too!!!!
  19. N

gassy el34

Put gloves and a mask on and open it up in your clean room. Stuff a LED in it seal it up and mount it to an vintage transistor radio and put it on your desk as a rare prototype hybrid.
  20. N

EL34 solid state power supply--double DC voltage problem

I was guessing that our knowledge has improved since the original design timeframe and this strategy might be a result of that improvement. Not sure about the Fenders but the Heathkits I have seen that in were designed in 58?
  21. N

EL34 solid state power supply--double DC voltage problem

Thanks thorpej for the link, I have read it and saved it for future use. So whenever we see 2 (or more) diodes in serial used instead of a higher rated one, we should use a ceramic cap or a resistor in parallel, or both in parallel as Dave G mentions a few posts down? I do see that Heathkit...
  22. N

Heathkit AA-81 (AA-10) Rebuild

Yep, your analysis will probably benefit anything you do with W-7, if you get a pair. Supposedly lots less W-7s were sold over W-5s, so I am guessing they will be harder to find. Since you already have a pair of W-5s and AA-10, it would be interesting to hear your impressions of them in...
  23. N

Heathkit AA-81 (AA-10) Rebuild

Interesting posts. I remember reading somewhere that the AA-81 (AA-10) were related if not identical. FYI, The W-7 (both A and M models) are also closely related to those. The main differences are the W-7 uses diode rectifier and has a bit increased power filter section as well.
  24. N

Anyone in Olympia, WA

Bumping an older post. I am in Seattle but would love to get together. I am new to the tube world, working on a Heathkit W-7M.
Back
Top Bottom