Search results

1. C

Optimus 1 Tweeters

I recently picked up a pair of really nice Optimus 1 speakers for a song, but discovered 1 of them has an open tweeter. These use the same 0705AE 16 ohm tweeters as the Nova 7B. I haven't been able to find OE replacements, so I began looking for suitable substitutes. I found a 16 ohm 2-½" full...
  2. C

Vinyl...No, not that vinyl, wood grained vinyl

Real wood it is then. Does anyone have a source for walnut self adhesive veneer?
  3. C

You make a valid point, but I like things to be as original as possible. If I decide to keep this one, I'd prefer the vinyl, even though the actual wood is better. If I decide to sell it, the real wood could be a selling point. So far, I'm leaning towards selling it. It's a great sounding...
  4. C

I've recently picked up a fully functional Pioneer SX-780 for a song, but the wood case is peeling pretty badly. A quick excercise of Google came up with this stuff from Home Depot...
  5. C

SX-990 Pointer Bulb

Thanks. That thread has all the info I need. Funny how nothing came up when I searched for it.
  6. C

SX-990 Pointer Bulb

The tuner pointer on my SX-990 doesn't light up, and I can't even see the bulb. It looks like I may have to remove the pointer to replace the bulb, so I'd like to have a bulb on hand before I start the job. Does anyone know what bulb I need and a good source to buy a bulb? Thanks.
  7. C

Speaker protection and Cap-coupled receiver

Thanks guys. That does make me feel better. I'll start looking for fuse holders and some fuses to put inline in the positive speaker wires. Were built in speaker fuses not common in 1969-1970 when the SX-990 was designed?
  8. C

Speaker protection and Cap-coupled receiver

Due to the wonky tuner in my Technics SA-5370, I've decided to move it to the home gym in the basement and power my newly-acquired Sansui SP-300s with a different receiver. I just picked up a Pioneer SX 990 (well, still waiting on FedEx). It has a capacitor-coupled amp, which I understand sounds...
  9. C

SP-300s

The low end sounds pretty good, not as much bass as the powered 12" sub connected to my home theater surround system, but to me that's too much for most music. The Sansui SP-300s seem well balanced, enough bass for most music, tight and precise without being punchy. Taken from...
  10. C

SP-300s

Yeah, they're rated at 50W each, so I've got them connected to my Technics SA-5370, which is 48 watts per channel. However, the speakers are extremely efficient, with 104dB@1W/1M. I don't think I've even got them to 1 watt yet.
  11. C

SP-300s

20180929_135534 by citymech posted Sep 29, 2018 at 8:15 PM 20180929_140018 by citymech posted Sep 29, 2018 at 8:14 PM
  12. 20180929_135534

20180929_135534

13. 20180929_140018

20180929_140018

14. Sansui SP300

Sansui SP300

15. C

SP-300s

This is going to be a bit of a long story, but the short of it is I just picked up a very nice pair of Sansui SP-300 speakers and couldn't be happier with them. Anyway, here's the long story: I drive to Peoria, IL once a month for Air National Guard drill, and I found a shop that does repairs on...
  16. C

Poor FM Reception

My Technics SA-5370 has very poor FM reception. Connected to the same antenna, my JVC pulls in 12 stations, most from 35-40 miles away, but the Technics only picks up 2 stations, both from here in town. The pointer is also off by a good bit, when picking up 102.1 FM it points to about 101, and...
  17. C

First entry into vintage HiFi

FedEx delivered my Technics SA-5370 today, and I picked up a pair of Sansui SP-1200 speakers yesterday. I got everything set up in the garage tonight, and I'm impressed by the clarity and volume of the setup, much more impressed than the neighbors. As I said in my thread about the Sansui...
  18. C

Sansui SP-1200?

Yesterday I picked up the Sansui SP-1200s, and today FedEx delivered my Technics SA-5370. I just finished setting everything up in the garage, and I'm very impressed. As many said, the bass is a bit light at low volumes, but at volumes comfortably loud enough to hear while I'm working, the bass...
  19. C

Sansui SP-1200?

The speakers will go on the floor on either side of my toolbox. They will be as safe from damage there as they would be in the house. I'm very careful around my toolbox, since it's a rather expensive SnapOn box. I guess it's okay to say how much it cost here, since the wife doesn't read this...
  20. C

The garage is insulated and finished with wood paneling, with insulated metal garage doors. It is not heated, unless I'm working in there, which to tell the truth, I usually avoid working in the garage when heat is required unless I absolutely have to.
  21. C

Sansui SP-1200?

Thanks for all the replies. If I find the bass lacking, I do have a powered 10" subwoofer I can add to the system.
  22. C

Sansui SP-1200?

I'm just getting into vintage audio and picked up a Technics SA-5370 receiver and am in need of some speakers to go with it. I found a set of Sansui SP-1200 speakers nearby, but I know practically nothing about them. This system is going in my garage so it'll have to be loud enough to hear...
  23. C

Ahh. I knew someone was going to ask what kind of music I listen to. Well, let's just say I have very diverse tastes in music. My palate runs from '40s Big Band and Swing to '80s pop, from '50s and '60s oldies to Hair Metal, old country to '90s grunge. Essentially I listen to just about...
  24. C

Thanks. Looks like it's going to be the 5370. I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about cosmetics since this system is going in the garage. I haven't decided what speakers to use just yet. I figured I would get the receiver, then find some speakers that will work within the power level of the...
  25. C

Hi all, newbie here. I'm looking to get into vintage hifi and have an opportunity to buy a Technics SA 5370 that sounds good but is a bit cosmetically rough. For the same money, I've been offered a Technics SA 5360, which also sounds good, but looks great. I haven't seen any specs on the 5360...
Back
Top Bottom