Search results

1. H

Coral BX 20

Oh thanks for this incredible insight! It didn’t once occur to me that getting an answer to my inquiry is a long-shot. o_O
  2. H

Coral BX 20

There is a pair of these for sale relatively close to me. Would you be so kind as to further describe their sound? I’m looking for a big and bold vintage sound.
  3. H

Compare Classic Spendor to Harbeth

Spendor has a warmer voicing.
  4. H

The Spendor Thread..

Yours might be fine then. The surrounds on my 2/3R2s have always been a little stiff compared to many speakers I’ve owned, even though I bought them new. My Stirling 88s are similar. It’s my hypothesis that the stiff surrounds are why these types of speakers are not very dynamic in the...
  5. H

The Spendor Thread..

I do wonder if one of the current Seas or Scanspeak woofers would fit into these baffles without any modification. Maybe this one for example: https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/drive-units-1/seas-drive-units/seas-speakers-woofers-drive-units/seas-p21re-p-h0313-8-woofer.html I think my SP2/3R2s...
  6. H

The Spendor Thread..

Sorry if I’m the bearer of bad news but this is not how the surrounds are supposed to feel when in proper working order. Some of these older models are prone to the surrounds hardening over time. There are threads about this over on the Spendor Group: https://groups.io/g/spendor Allegedly it...
  7. H

The Spendor Thread..

Mr. Hughes is an independent consultant these days and Spendor has a different owner now. There shouldn't be any worries about violating intellectual property rights. I read a recent post on the Yahoo Spendor group where he described the core materials of the crossover transformer, something...
  8. H

Spendor Classic 3/1

Harbeth makes some lofty claims regarding their Radial material, but to my ears there are better sounding materials out there, including Spendor's EP38 and 77 cones, the Seas--derived woofers used by Stirling Broadcast, Dynaudio's outgoing Contour woofers and the paper cone of the Seas...
  9. H

Spendor S8's

FWIW, a buddy of mine recently did an A/B comparison of the Naim XS3 and the Elex-R with his ProAcs. He preferred the Elex-R for musical involvement.
  10. H

The Spendor Thread..

The crossovers are mounted to the back panel of the cabinets. Idk if it applies to Spendors but when it comes to Stirlings, part of the speaker voicing involves the panels. If they're removed, Stirling claims they must be shipped back to the factory for re-tuning. It might be better to access...
  11. H

Spendor Classic 3/1

Congrats. Best veneer work in the biz.
  12. H

The Spendor Thread..

D7s are like studio montitors with bass extension tacked on. Very resolving. The Classics trade a small amount of resolution for a supreme musicality.
  13. H

Sony TA A1-ES impressions

It does consume more power than most amplifiers IME, about as much as a tube amp.
  14. H

Harbeth, Magnepan, Emerald Physics + DeVore

That 3-way speakers are superior to 2-ways is one of the oldest myths in audio. This has been mostly put to bed in the mobile audio world, but for whatever reason, this myth persists in the 2-channel/ AV realm. The reality is that there are good and poor examples of both. Most of the...
  15. H

Advent 5002 / 5012 Tweeter Voice Coil Repair or Replacement?

I don't know about repairing the originals but for my Advents, I only had to shave a very small portion (like 1/16" of one side) of the original tweeter opening to get the Midwest Speaker clones to fit. Using a Dremel made it easy.
  16. H

Advent 5002 / 5012 Tweeter Voice Coil Repair or Replacement?

These should fit: https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/home-audio/tweeters/dome/mw-audio-mt-4112-advent-copy-tweeter/ I used them to replace the "Fried Egg" tweeters in my NLAs. They sound pretty good.
  17. H

The MMG is a 2-way, planar magnetic/quasi-ribbon speaker. Its bass panel is not quasi-ribbon but planar-magnetic, which means it has wires glued to the mylar instead of the foil. Wires are heavier, which is why they don't perform quite as well as a quasi-ribbon. The bass and midrange freqs are...
  18. H

Well, if you come across the Tone Audio comparison of the SB-88s vs the C7ES3s, all I can suggest is you disregard it as nothing more than a marketing ploy. I've had both in my system and their claims couldn't be any more opposite than what I experienced. Really has me convinced they're a...
  19. H

Yes, you really have to remain seated for best sound but the sweet spot is really not any more narrow than my other speakers, especially with the tweeters placed outboard. Three people sat side-by-side will all hear a very similar presentation - in my setup at least.
  20. H

Graham, like Stirling Broadcast, makes some models designed by Derek Hughes, the son of the founders of Spendor. I believe Derek has been contracted to design a speaker for all of the BBC-type brands at one time or another, but he appears to be working for Graham lately. The Grahams I've heard...
  21. H

FWIW, I've owned four and currently own two pairs of speakers from the BBC school of design. Earlier this evening I was listening to my Spendor SP2/3R2s (which I chose over the C7ES3s in a shootout a couple years ago) in my roughly 12x14x8' room. The Maggie .7s have been in the closet for a...
  22. H

My experience: Maggies do need a good amp and quite a lot of space. The amp doesn't have to have 500watts/ch, just needs a stout power supply for dynamic peaks. High current capability is more important than wattage number. I couldn't get along with the 1.7is as they were completely void of...
  23. H

New - Magnepan LRS speakers

Your post reminded me that the new Monoprice Monolith amps were allegedly designed by ATI. Quality control has been hit and miss from what I've read but they measure very well according to Audioholics and appear to be well-built overall. I'd be tempted to try one if in the market. $1K for...
  24. H

Yamaha is a bit strange when it comes to their model lineup and power specs. I've heard some of their regular branded AVRs sound as powerful as the specs indicate (albeit these were somewhat expensive models, they weren't Aventage), while every Aventage amp I've heard sounded weaker than the...
  25. H

I use credit for nearly every purchase and earn hundreds back each year in rewards points. As a consumer, the key is to never charge something that you can't also afford to buy outright with cash. Not using credit regularly can actually limit the height of your credit score. So using Paypal...
Back
Top Bottom