Search results

1. R

C2200 12AT7 Recommendation

I don't know if they 'work the same' in a preamp application, but when I got some NOS Siemens & Halske 12AT7s as drivers for my 300B amps, they added a bit of sparkle and resolution that I was looking for. If that's what you're looking for, maybe try some ... I see Tubemonger has a couple...
  2. R

C220 Tube Replacement

Yes, the Gold Lions will give you better sound and may be more detailed than the Mullards. IIUC, brand new McIntosh pres use Tungsol tubes, they are different than the ones that came with my C220, purchased ??? 6 years ago or something (about 1 year after it was introduced). When I replaced the...
  3. R

Tube rolling: C2300

I don't know about the JJs, but I had some Tele ribbed plate (used, tested good) then got some Gold Lions. They sounded very similar to me, I thought/imagined that the GLs sounded even a little better than the Teles. If you're into it might be worth getting some GLs to try, they're a little...
  4. R

C28+MC250+SCR2A+2sets 8 ohm speakers > What ohm taps do I use??

Probably OK and 'safer' to run off the 4 ohm taps. As was said, when both are playing the speakers are in parallel (as if there were no SCR2A in line), two '8 ohm' speakers becomes a 4 ohm load. So it's good that you're already using the 4 ohm tap. Also, many "8 ohm" speakers actually go to...
  5. R

Preamp with great phono stage

Seems like the C2300 or C2500 would be the default recommendation (well, for a tubed unit anyway) ... but you're already there! Maybe a C500? either flavor?
  6. R

newb question on cd burning

the laptop HAS a mic jack, on the left side (2nd jack from the front). It does accept stereo inputs, as rolltide says. Now, I don't know whether it accepts line-level inputs and has a decent A/D converter (like Macs do!) but certainly it's worth a try. All you need is the cable ...
  7. R

newb question on cd burning

Does the laptop have a mic input? I could be wrong, but at least on my iMac, the mic input (which also works as a line input) is digitized, I also use Audacity to record, break up and edit the songs ... Of course, for 'audiophile approved' "needle drops" you'd need an outboard A/D converter, as...
  8. R

Mcintosh tube vendors

When I bought my C220 several years ago, they were using Chinese tubes. McIntosh 'brand', say 'Made in China' on them.
  9. R

C2300 tube swapping

I don't know (haven't heard both), but I would spend the extra money. The less expensive version is a different design as well, and made in China vs. Russia (not that this necessarily makes a difference). Of course, without hearing both in the same component/system one can never be sure ...
  10. R

Luxman CL-38u Vs Mac C220 Preamps

I'm not in the measurements/specs totally = sound quality camp, but these both do seem very nice. I like the C220's remote controls of mono switching, balance, and of course volume. If you want to delve into low output MCs, the Luxman seems appealing, but of course one can use a step up or...
  11. R

Can someone tell me how to hook up a McIntosh 5100 amd to a Pioneer SX-850?

http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/MA5100.htm download the owner's manual and read it ... maybe one of the switches is in an incorrect position or something. As others have said, hook up another source (or the preamp output of the 850) to a line level input ... Does the amp seem to be turning...
  12. R

Can someone tell me how to hook up a McIntosh 5100 amd to a Pioneer SX-850?

Looks like the SX-850 has both record out and preamp out jacks. Yes, use the record out from the 850 and connect to any of the 4 line level inputs (i.e., other than PH1, PH2 and Tape Head). Seems like you could try hooking the TT up to both and see which sounds better. You could actually...
  13. R

Gold Lion ECC83 Premiums in the C2500

Surprised there aren't more chiming in ... but I think your experience mirrors 1000s of other happy GL users! They definitely sound excellent in my C220, even after some used OS (but tested good) Tele smooth plates and Tesla 1972 vintage E83CCs ... to me they are all in the same 'corner'...
  14. R

What sonic differences should I expect by going the tubes route? C2300 preamp

If possible, before your C34V 'goes away', splurge just a little bit more (about $80/matched pair) for some Gold Lions in the main line stage section (as someone else said). I am certain the difference will be even more apparent, altho it may not change the 'warmth' factor. IF it's the same as...
  15. R

McIntosh C2300 problem with level knob

Wow ... I know there's a "reset" procedure, possibly that would fix the problem? The knob isn't a potentiometer, it controls some electronic doohickey that adjusts the volume. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=306834 comments in parentheses by me ... " 2300 master reset =...
  16. R

Mac With Thiel Speakers

I have to say, as amazing as the 3.6/Rowland 5 system sounded, when I got home and listened to my system, it was like "Ahhhhhhh ...". Much more relaxed/relaxing sonically, but of course without the amazing detail, "you are there"-ness, etc.. It'd be nice to have two completely separate systems...
  17. R

Mac With Thiel Speakers

Not quite sure what you meant by the "BS" flag waver :bs: Or the rest of your comments ...? but you seem to 'agree' with me that the CS3.6s are amazing speakers. I have only heard them with the Rowland 5 amp, which possibly is like McIntosh amps in being smooth. I was trying to say that...
  18. R

Mac With Thiel Speakers

My friend had the 3.6 speakers and a Rowland Model 5 amp. Most revealing system I ever heard ... yes, I think they need some oomph to drive them, but can't imagine a modern higher powered Mc amp not being able to do that. I would also think the Mc amp's smoothness would be a good match for the...
  19. R

What sonic differences should I expect by going the tubes route? C2300 preamp

Maybe someone can answer the 'tubes -> unbalanced' vs. 'tubes -> SS buffer -> balanced' question, as I assumed possibly incorrectly that there is a SS buffer gain/attenuation stage following the tubes in either circuit. (Edit: The diagram in the C2300 Owner's Manual block diagram seems to...
  20. R

SS vs. hybrid tube

I hope he's joking ...!
  21. R

What Interconnects for your Mac Gear?

There's the spirit! :D I have some silver ICs from ... http://www.whitezombieaudio.com/zeropointzero.html for ~$100, I like them. Haven't compared them to other ICs for a long time tho. My other ICs (between pre and amp) are copper/silver hybrid (or something) Synergistic Research...
  22. R

SS vs. hybrid tube

Errrrr ... I respectfully disagree. I have a C220 (hybrid) and 300B tube amps, but I submit that even the C220 (which uses the line stage tubes basically as a 'tube buffer') will give you a real tube experience. I don't think every amplification component has to be tubed to give you that. I...
  23. R

What Interconnects for your Mac Gear?

1000s of possibilities, but UsedCable.com may be a good source if you want to try some 'exotic' cables (and compare with home made or generic but good Canare etc. type cables). http://www.usedcables.com/Product/Alpha-Sterling-X-Active are older, but well regarded by those who espouse exotic...
  24. R

C2300 preamp

If you can, certainly give him more (now and/or later), and possibly allow him to buy it back for the same price as you paid (including any extra) when they get back on their feet. At least on A'gon, there's one for $4000 ... Maybe I'm too generous (with other people's money).
  25. R

Parasound A21 or Macintosh MC452. Pls advice.

I would say if you can afford it, the MC452 would be a good choice ... Altho I do agree that a McIntosh pre is about essential - another option would be to get a C50 and wait on the amp upgrade ... then sell your A21 to me! :music: I MIGHT be able to afford it by then ... :D Actually, I...
Back
Top Bottom