Search results

1. J

Best Vintage Speaker Kickoff!

Own B&W's 602 S2, 600 S3, LCR6, 605 S2-love em all but blew plate amp in one of my 605's by accidentally bumping into turntable as needle dropped and set up a feedback loop--sometimes I'm such a klutz. B& w parts can be hard to find and expensive.
  2. J

Technics SL-1800 ?

I'm also thinking of buying a Technics to replace my audio-technica a-t-pl120 which is a copy of 1200. I put a pretty good cart on it as I'm told that will make the biggest difference. I would like something like the 1600 and was wondering if I would notice the difference with my nagoaka mm mp...
  3. J

First time I ever heard hi-fi was before stereo--early 50's my older brother became really interested and got an invite to hear this early audiophile system. I don't remember all the components but do remember Fisher tube amps and I believe a huge either Altec-Lansing or Klipshorn...
  4. J

CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

For cleaning stylus drop it on a thin slice of Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser that can be bought at any supermarket for 2-3 bucks. I drop needle once after playing each LP--ner gets stylus wet so don't have to worry about glue holding stylus on being loosened. people who have used this technique have...
  5. J

Definitive Technology SM 45 Loudspeakers

Has anyone heard them? If you have what are your impressions?
  6. J

avr vs dedicated amps

Don't forget when starships crash as in Planet of The Apes but the deal is I like good drama now that decrepitude has set in and a good stereo setup will do just fine for dialogue.
  7. J

avr vs dedicated amps

So whatdyou guys think--Emotiva or Crown?
  8. J

avr vs dedicated amps

Oh, incidentally for whom it may concern I have instruction manuals for both these units and I will be running small subwoofer with this setup. Maybe at later date I will replace it also but I'm not a big basshead--hearing bass is OK, I don't need to feel it.
  9. J

avr vs dedicated amps

I want to use zone 2 in same room to hook up a separate amp to run analog sources primarily turntable but also fm analog and cd player w/analog outputs. I am thinking about emotiva bas-x a100 which is 50 wpc 8 ohms 20 Hz to 20Khz it is class ab w/ one pr. speaker hookups and inputs and outputs...
  10. J

avr vs dedicated amps

Only interested in analog sources thru zone 2--turntable and older cd player w/anolog only outputs--wonder if crown class D amp could be run in zone 2?
  11. J

avr vs dedicated amps

how about a Crown XLI-800 with 300 wpc--it has gain controls?
  12. J

avr vs dedicated amps

What do you think of Emotiva Bas-X A100 for use in zone two?
  13. J

avr vs dedicated amps

How about hooking up a power amp to my zone two outs?
  14. J

avr vs dedicated amps

Yeah, I get that in the same price range a two channel amp is better as an amp--but what I'm wondering say in the 200-500 dollar range is it going to be enough better to be really noticeable. I remember the "old" days I had an ERA turntable with Grace 707 tonearm Grado cart speakers with KEF...
  15. J

avr vs dedicated amps

all of this stuff is hooked up including 39 inch visio 1080 tv and sony smart bluray player and subwoofer
  16. J

avr vs dedicated amps

Currently running onkyo tx606 7.1 for three channel music--am I going to appreciably upgrade on sound quality without going to expensive separates. Running this with B&W 602 S2 and LCR6 ctr. Amp rated 90 wpc with two channels running 8 ohms 20hz-20kHz. A-T PL 120 TT w/Nagoaka mp mm 110 cart...
  17. J

Subwoofer chuffing

Thanks for the input everybody
  18. J

Subwoofer chuffing

Got any low budget recommendations as I'm a Sr. living on fixed income.
  19. J

Subwoofer chuffing

Actually I'm using it with onkyo tx606 my two 602's and an LCR6 center speaker, flatscreen, smart blu-ray player, old onkyo cd changer and audio-technica atpl 120 turntable w/nagoaka mp mm110 cartridge and pro-ject phono preamp. My jack of all trades smallish living roomsystem which is kind of L...
  20. J

Subwoofer chuffing

Hav'nt made a big study on subs and frequency response just usually adjust till it sounds good to my ears--just know that to keep them from chuffing on really low passages I don't get much improvement over my B&W 602 S2's which go down to about 52 Hz. Just know that chuffing sound is very annoying.
  21. J

Subwoofer chuffing

I have been using a small Pioneer Andrew Jones eight inch subwoofer and have noticed chuffing whenever I turn it up even a little way. So I stuffed the port with a sock and it eliminates the chuffing. My question is:Does this interfere with amplifier ventilation as I can't see any other way for...
  22. J

Don't know if they are considered vintage or not--but I believe late 90's design--I'm runn ing B&W 605 S2 floor standers an LCR6 center channel and 602 S2's--I bought these at a local audio shop in 2002(not too many brick and mortars left around). I swooned and had a bad case of the vapors when...
  23. J

Yamaha or Onkyo Amp?

O.K. I didn't think there would be a free lunch--thanx for clearing that up. Between yamaha A-S301 and vintage Denon PMA 520 w/torroidal transformer and class A circuitry would you choose.
  24. J

integrateds or receivers

Am thinking about yamaha a-s301 or r-s 500. Cost the same. R-S 500 has higher power rating than a-s301 measured the same way--what gives?
  25. J

Yamaha or Onkyo Amp?

I am thinking about buying yamaha R-S500 as it costs the same as A-S301 and has better specs75wpc @8 ohms 20-20khertz as compared to 60wpc for A-S301. Their power ratings are measured the same. They are practically identical in weight--actually the R-S 500 and A-S 500 are nearly identical in...
Back
Top Bottom