Search results

1. nick parkin

DIY Ribbon tweeter

Hi everyone! Its been a long time since I have posted on audio karma. I've been super busy with my engineering degree but recently I have gotten a 3d Printer and I cannot believe I haven't had one of these before. I'm working on designing a dashboard mountable speaker pod for my car using a...
  2. nick parkin

kick ass diy 2.1 system

Tiny amount but the sub is terrible at reproducing the high frequencies and it is much more inefficient compared to the faital woofers and the morel tweeters
  3. nick parkin

kick ass diy 2.1 system

When I say a stupid amount of noise, it wasn't really a stupid amount, it was just a full spectrum background hiss going to both speakers(woofer and tweeter). In other words, even though the woofer and tweeter had digital crossovers, the hiss was comprised of frequencies outside the crossover...
  4. nick parkin

kick ass diy 2.1 system

Correction it was $10 for 2 so $30 plus $40 for the nicer knobs
  5. nick parkin

kick ass diy 2.1 system

I believe wiper type (smooth turning). Idk what brand but I but i got them on Amazon and it was around $20 for two so I bought 6 for $60
  6. nick parkin

kick ass diy 2.1 system

that's my brothers cat Raymond. he brings him whenever him and his wife come to visit. for whatever reason Raymond always makes a beeline for my cnc machine and he loves to sit and lay in there
  7. nick parkin

kick ass diy 2.1 system

well I've already coated the cabs in polyurethane. And yes, each driver has its own amp channel. the reason for the noise is that most electrical circuits have some type of noise and I believe the DSP chip picks up some noise after the DSP process and sends it to the amp which then gets...
  8. nick parkin

kick ass diy 2.1 system

Hi everyone! Im a broke college student and I spent the last 2 years with me and my CNC making this kick ass 2.1 system I want to share with the world. I last posted about these speakers over a year ago and since then this project has gone from “the ultimate party speakers” to a hi-fi 2.1...
  9. nick parkin

The best possible party speaker

I’m using 2x Dayton audio KABD 4100 Bluetooth amp boards. 4x100w faitalPRO 8fe200 woofer Morel CAT-308 tweeter in a biradial horn Ciare hs251 10” sub. i use a hybrid crossover (both analog and DSP) so far these sound flipping fantastic. Really good dynamics, super clear, great imaging, and...
  10. nick parkin

The best possible party speaker

Hi everyone! I’m still around lol. These speakers have turned into a pair of 2-way 8” bookshelf speakers. (Although Rather large for “bookshelf”) I’m working on an amp chassis and 3d printing the horns. I also added a ciare HS251 sub per @merdy recommendation And Merdy knows I am busy with...
  11. nick parkin

DIY Hi-fi two way speakers

yes I changed the wiring harnesses that came with the amp. Overall it is a very good amplifier and I would highly recommend it. Just make sure you use a high quality power supply. This is a fully active setup. Each woofer and tweeter gets its own channel but I can run the amp in two channel...
  12. nick parkin

DIY Hi-fi two way speakers

Hi all! A year ago I posed a thread on a pair of party speakers I wanted to make but they eventually turned into just a nice two way pair of speakers for hifi music and I wanted to share them on this thread as I have made a lot of changes. Originally I wanted a pair of speakers with high...
  13. nick parkin

Coral holey baskets horn design

Yes I did! Pm me for details!
  14. nick parkin

The ultimate party boombox

Ok so I was finally able to set them up at my buddy’s place and have a proper listen. imaging is pretty dang precise and it should get better once I put the radiuses front baffles on them. Tone and texture is flipping fantastic. The sound that radiates from these is beautiful. All of the fine...
  15. nick parkin

Hi all! I finally got both speakers going and they sound great. I’ve been listening to them near field about 6 feet away from my ears and they sound fantastic. initially they had a harsher more in your face midrange sound but with some measuring and eq I was able to flatten out the frequency...
  16. nick parkin

I made my first waveguide on the CNC! It immediately added 7db to the tweeter and now the tweeter is even more sensitive than its horn loaded cousin the Cat 378. It has a much fuller sound now too! I can’t wait to see how this turns out. I have a shipment of fancy Baltic birch ply coming in...
  17. nick parkin

Hi all! It’s been awhile but I have an update! Since it’s conception, these speakers have changed a bit. Since I can’t run the Dayton in mono with all 4 channels bridged (it only supports 2 x 200w) I will just be making the speakers as a stand-alone with a fancier Joseph Crowe waveguide model...
  18. nick parkin

Hi all! Being a 23 year old college kid i wanted to make the ultimate party boombox. And want to share the project. This is not quite a boom box but this is a reasonably mobile system in a decent size. Overview 2 FaitalPRO 8FE200 8” woofers 2 Morel CAT378 horn tweeters One Dayton Audio 8”...
  19. nick parkin

Sony TC500a Teardown questions!

It is a beautiful machine with great internals but the tube amp that comes with it isn’t any good. I’ve used the transformers and tubes to make a really nice sounding RH-84 and it’s fantastic. As for the corals, i’m still using them to this day.
  20. nick parkin

300 ohm headphones with 600ohm tube amp???

Hi all! I have an RH84 tube amp and was wondering if it is possible to use 300 ohm headphones on the 600 ohm output transformer tap. They’re vintage Tamura output transformers with an 8 ohm tap and a 600 ohm tap. My friend in the engineering club at my local college wants to use his sennheiser...
  21. nick parkin

Yuichi A290 build

Hi all! It’s been awhile. I’ve been super busy with school and running engineering club and have had a little time work work on a longer term project. I’m working on making the Yuichi A290 horn. so far, I made a 3d model, and “sliced” up the top and bottom flares into 4 seperate pieces...
  22. nick parkin

Horn curve equations

Hi all! I’ve been advised by my horn guru mentor to just take the original yuichi drawings and trace them. I projected the horizontal and vertical flare profiles to their respected axis’s and scaled them to the proper size. Then I traced them and revolved the shapes around the right axis and...
  23. nick parkin

Horn curve equations

Hi all! I’m trying to figure out what equations plot the horn curve for the Yuichi A290FL. I’m trying to carve some on my CNC. When I drew the reference lines to plot the horizontal flare curves, the lines did not make a nice smooth spline (I’m using fusion 360 )and instead had concave and...
  24. nick parkin

Best 2” hifi compression drivers for yuichi horn?

Hi all! I’m working on a Yuri A290 (yuichi) horn which I’ll be cutting on my CNC. I should be able to get great response from 20k down to 540hz. I plan on crossing over either as low as possible or as high as possible as I don’t want the crossover frequency to be right in the middle of the...
  25. nick parkin

Illinois?

Count me in! I got my frugalhorn lites with some vintage Sony coral holey baskets and they sound pretty sweet. I also have a schiit Modi 3 dac. I’m curious if we can a/b cheap and expensive stuff? Really curious how it’ll affect the sound! I also have my RH-84 amp with vintage Tamura output...
Back
Top Bottom