Search results

1. nick parkin

DIY Ribbon tweeter

Hi everyone! Its been a long time since I have posted on audio karma. I've been super busy with my engineering degree but recently I have gotten a 3d Printer and I cannot believe I haven't had one of these before. I'm working on designing a dashboard mountable speaker pod for my car using a...
  2. nick parkin

kick ass diy 2.1 system

Hi everyone! Im a broke college student and I spent the last 2 years with me and my CNC making this kick ass 2.1 system I want to share with the world. I last posted about these speakers over a year ago and since then this project has gone from “the ultimate party speakers” to a hi-fi 2.1...
  3. nick parkin

DIY Hi-fi two way speakers

Hi all! A year ago I posed a thread on a pair of party speakers I wanted to make but they eventually turned into just a nice two way pair of speakers for hifi music and I wanted to share them on this thread as I have made a lot of changes. Originally I wanted a pair of speakers with high...
  4. nick parkin

The ultimate party boombox

Hi all! Being a 23 year old college kid i wanted to make the ultimate party boombox. And want to share the project. This is not quite a boom box but this is a reasonably mobile system in a decent size. Overview 2 FaitalPRO 8FE200 8” woofers 2 Morel CAT378 horn tweeters One Dayton Audio 8”...
  5. nick parkin

300 ohm headphones with 600ohm tube amp???

Hi all! I have an RH84 tube amp and was wondering if it is possible to use 300 ohm headphones on the 600 ohm output transformer tap. They’re vintage Tamura output transformers with an 8 ohm tap and a 600 ohm tap. My friend in the engineering club at my local college wants to use his sennheiser...
  6. nick parkin

Yuichi A290 build

Hi all! It’s been awhile. I’ve been super busy with school and running engineering club and have had a little time work work on a longer term project. I’m working on making the Yuichi A290 horn. so far, I made a 3d model, and “sliced” up the top and bottom flares into 4 seperate pieces...
  7. nick parkin

Horn curve equations

Hi all! I’m trying to figure out what equations plot the horn curve for the Yuichi A290FL. I’m trying to carve some on my CNC. When I drew the reference lines to plot the horizontal flare curves, the lines did not make a nice smooth spline (I’m using fusion 360 )and instead had concave and...
  8. nick parkin

Best 2” hifi compression drivers for yuichi horn?

Hi all! I’m working on a Yuri A290 (yuichi) horn which I’ll be cutting on my CNC. I should be able to get great response from 20k down to 540hz. I plan on crossing over either as low as possible or as high as possible as I don’t want the crossover frequency to be right in the middle of the...
  9. nick parkin

It’s been awhile! Update + Question

Greetings all! since Covid happened, I’ve been offline for awhile. I spent most of Covid delivering packages with Amazon, and got laid off last December just before the new year. Unfortunately I’ve made 0 progress with my engineering degree, having to drop out both semesters since taking...
  10. nick parkin

The mother of all Bluetooth speakers

Greetings all! Hopefully soon I’ll be getting my CNC machine and with it I will be doing so cool projects. To start I am planning on making the mother of all Bluetooth speakers. Here is the plan a 2.5 cubic foot braced enclosure. 2 Parts Express/Morel Ardon speaker kit which includes one 6”...
  11. nick parkin

Dumbest thing someone has ever said to you?

Greetings all! we’ve all been there. Arguing with armchair scientists on the inter-web. Just today I had one gentlemen try to convince me that you can miniaturize bass wavelengths by turning the gain on those frequencies down. This got me thinking. What’s the most blatantly dumbest thing...
  12. nick parkin

Foster 10F3/Coral holey baskets

Greetings all! I’ve been getting back into my full range open baffle kick and I’ve just rediscovered a version of the “coral holey baskets” called the foster 10F3, quite possibly my favorite driver. Setup my setup is a Dayton 8” ultimax in 1.5” thick MDF box Two different sized baffles with...
  13. nick parkin

DSP-408/ cad audio question

Greetings all! I just did the sound system in my friend jakes 2015 GT mustang. I’m using two morel TIW634FT 6” woofers up front, paired with FaitalPRO 3” full range drivers. The efficiency of these drivers make it effortless at high volumes. I also have two morel coaxial in the rear, and a...
  14. nick parkin

Car audio/amp gain question.

Greetings all! move just completed my friends car audio install in his 2015 GT mustang and it sounds superb! I have a question about the amp gain, because I feel I’m not getting the most wattage out of the system. we have morel coaxials in the rear FaitalPRO 3” full range drivers up front...
  15. nick parkin

The best possible party speaker

Greetings all! As a young 21-year-old audio file I am enraged when I go to my friend Coles house for some college parties and the stereo they have sucks ass. given my proclivity for engineering, I want to design a Bluetooth speaker to END ALL Bluetooth speakers. I will be getting a CNC machine...
  16. nick parkin

What are your favorite speakers to look at.

Greetings all! i’m just curious what are you guys favorite speakers to look at. They do not have to sound good or be good speakers at all, as long as they are just your favorite speaker to look at. Drop some pics below.
  17. nick parkin

Horrible midrange distortion in my stereo

Greetings all! I don’t know where to start. I’m very frustrated. Whenever I get in my car and listen to the stereo, it sounds great and has amazing detail, and some tracks sound fantastic, but there’s just too much midrange distortion. When songs hit certain notes, the sound is so ear...
  18. nick parkin

What is the best woofer/midwoofer box design?

Greetings all! I will be getting a shapeoko 3 XXL CNC machine soon and wanted to start work on a new horn loaded design made from it. I can cut horns and stack different shaped rings together to form a woofer enclosure. Basically, you make your design in CAD. Then you slice it up and cut out a...
  19. nick parkin

im frustrated, please help

hello everyone! I am frustrated as hell. I made a few posts about horn design, and all anyone was able to do was avoid my questions, and make me more confused. I posted on here and DIY audio. I want to be clear, I dont hate anyone and im not trying to be unappreciative of people taking time...
  20. nick parkin

Speaker horn business

Greetings all! I am planning on getting a CNC mill soon, and wanted to make and sell horns and was wondering about the business. there is already someone named Joseph Crowe who has a georgeous website, logo, and creative projects that already fulfill some of my design goals and if I wanted to...
  21. nick parkin

What is the best horn geometry?

Greetings all! Im only 40% through with my degree in mechanical engineering, so my grasp and ability to understand papers and technical mumbo jumbo isn't that great. Its like a can partially grasp what I read on horn design but not fully. The smartest people are really, the smart people who...
  22. nick parkin

Thomas Edison Phonograph restoration

Greetings all! I have a vintage Thomas Edison cylinder phonograph (with records) that was gifted to me from an old family friend around 6 or 7 years ago. it was purchased by this woman’s father, new back in the 1920’s I believe. any idea as to what finish they would have used on these? I want...
  23. nick parkin

AR3a’s Why all the hype

Greetings all! it seems I got the bargain of the century. I traded someone my rebuilt La Scalas that look like garbage (they need a veneer applies over them) for some AR3a’s. Original drivers, re-capped crossover, original pots and documentation glued to the back of the speaker. first off...
  24. nick parkin

Making Horns and Waveguides

Greetings all! I am selling lots of my audio gear to raise money to purchase a CNC Mill. Most of my stuff has been sold already, and I wanted to inquire you knowledgeable folks about horn and waveguide design. Lots of questions.... First off Am I correct in saying that the goal of a horn is...
  25. nick parkin

CNC horn business?

Greetings all! I want all of your two cents on the subject of selling CNC horns. I have some klipsch la Scalas and I’ve heard heresy III’s and Cornwall IV’s and I Absolutley love the horn sound and I want to design my own. I’ve noticed that there’s a market for klipsch la Scala horns, and...
Back
Top Bottom