Search results

1. J

Sherwood S 5000 II Tube Amp - C1 capacitor ??

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!! I hooked the new edition to the collection this morning - my first tube amp and tuner. Thought I would share some BEFORE and AFTER pics of the Sherwood S5000 II amp and the Sherwood S3300 tuner. Need to start off with thank yous to those that offered help but gotta say this...
  2. J

All I can say is ---- you da man GADGET !! Thanks again
  3. J

Had some time this AM so I swapped tubes - redid the HUM test and readjusted the pots so one side has both tubes that are under 35mv and the other side has the two that are reading a little over 36mv/ I am thinking of changing the 2.2K to a 3.3K ( thinking more resistance = less current ) as...
  4. J

Gadget - I did the mod but did not set everything in place as I could not find any bread board. I used a 2.2K 1W resistor and only had 10K ( .5W ) pots - thinking I need to order slightly bigger pots. Before the mod my voltage readings at Pin 5 to ground were between 43.3mv to 47.9mv and my...
  5. J

I am hoping to be home by 2 and will give this a go - I know I have 2.2K 1W resistor and I have the 10K pots as well - just need to see if I have any pieces of bread board - thank you again for your help and for sharing your knowledge - I can not wait to get this going - I picked up some Mothers...
  6. J

I also contacted the seller asking if these reading of 42.9 mv to 47.6 mv is normal for a matched set and stated as long as they are within 15% of each other I should be good? I was under the impression that they would / should be within a few mv max of each other. Not sure if this correct or...
  7. J

Gadget, let me premise by saying thank you for your help and I hope can repay you someday in the near future - I enjoy a nice aged cigar every now and then - how about you? If so shoot me your address in a Message and let me put something in the mail for you as a token of my appreciation. As...
  8. J

Gadget73, would happen to have the drawing and parts list you used to do your Sherwood 5000 II bias board. I have a feeling that 45ma to 47ma might be a bit high for these tubes.
  9. J

I think I am making progress - I removed the (2) 6.8 ohm resistors and added the (4) 10 ohm resistors to each tube at Pin 5 to ground to the switch. I replaced the (4) diodes in PS section. I plugged it in and tested all the supply voltages - all good. I installed the new TS tubes, hooked up...
  10. J

I am replacing the 4 diodes now with (UF4007 ) - but so to just confirm - I am removing the (2) 6.8 ohm and replacing with (4) 10 ohm - one each at (4) tubes at pin 5 and then to ground - again - thank you much for the answer and help - Paul
  11. J

Good Morning !!! Well I thought I would try and get some work in on the amp before heading out this AM. I wanted to remove the (2) 6.8 ohm resistors (PIN 5) that go to ground and the TEST / NORMAL switch and install the (4) 10 ohm 1/2W resistors on each output tube pin 5 to ground. What I...
  12. J

Thank you both for the input - I am looking for the easiest yet effective way to use the TS tubes - looks like I will be trying to tackle this after Christmas - and i am sure i will have more questions :) again - THANK YOU guys - and from me and my family to you and yours .... MERRY CHRISTMAS...
  13. J

Morning bdbell and gadget73 - Hoping you can assist me - if I place the 10 ohm resistors between pin 5 and ground what wattage should those resistors be and what should I be reading at B1 and B2 ? and should R65 and R67 be replaced with pots so I can adjust the reading at B1 and B2 ??? If so...
  14. J

Hi Pablodeux - TY for the info - I am hoping I can get schematic and parts list for putting in bias control on my S5000II w/ 7591 tubes -
  15. J

Sounds like bias / balance setup is something I would like to do - here is the output drawings - any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much .. FYI - the unit had (2) RCA tubes for outputs on the right, and on the left side ( the glass on one was completely gone and the other...
  16. J

Gadget73 - can I pick your brain??? I ordered a quad set Tung Sol 7591a ( tried Jim McShane but he has none ) - To adjust the bias on these I just move the switch to TEST and adjust for the lowest hum / noise on each side???
  17. J

Sherwood S5000 II rebuild - What are good upgrades?

Thank you very much for the advice over the last couples days - it was very helpful - I am very excited to get this usable, cleaned, so I can start cleaning Sherwood S3000 Tuner that came with it. I can not wait to bring it up with a turntable and listen to it :) Hope you and yours have a...
  18. J

Sorry to hear that gadget73 - hope it is an easy fix and that parts are in your drawer and not ONLINE :) As for my unit - I removed C1 ( 150uf 275v ) as it was reading pf and then started reading OHMS so I removed and popped in a electrolytic ( jumpered it is place to test it ) used a 150uf...
  19. J

Thank you Gadget73 for the input - I greatly appreciate the help and sharing of knowledge here on this site - I did take a couple voltage readings at one of the outputs - here is what I got. (see attached pic ) Also, I tested the C1 150uf 275V cap out of the circuit with my ESR tester and it...
  20. J

Well after thinking my ESR meter might be misleading me and reading the replies I decided to power it up to take some voltage readings - attached are the voltage readings I got - please note I also connected speakers, tuner, turntable and AUX (MP3) and system played on all functions - had an...
  21. J

John, not I can not wait to get home as I will have to check my meters when I get in - so used to using my cheapo but very handy ESR - thanks for chiming in - Juicer
  22. J

Thank for the reply FLACHARLIE !! I am replacing as I read when recapping the unit they should be replaced in tested bad - when I removed them from circuit they read " Damaged or Unknown Part " on my ESR. Is my thinking that they are bad wrong? Thanks also for heads up about DigiKey - Juicer
  23. J

I hope someone can help me with this question ... I want to replace the .068uf 600V capacitors in my S5000 II (7951 Tubes ) as seen in the attached picture - I am having a hard time finding these but I read that .1uf 600V are usable. Are any of these acceptable equivalents?
  24. J

S5000II one more time

10 years ago .... wow - and here I am in need of a service manual for a 5000II with 7951 tubes - I have a great copy of it for 7868 tubes - anyone ???
  25. J

THANK YOU AGAIN !!! Think I am going to head to hayseed
Back
Top Bottom