Search results

1. T

Calling all PX-3 owners

Hey all, picked up what I will call a "survivor" PX-3 recently for $250. Appears to have been in storage for many years, but complete (minus a broken stylus). I've had it apart to refurb the belts, and it seems to be *nearly* functional. As in, Ive played records on it. I swapped the...
  2. T

Polk Score/thrift store budget system

Yeah, been researching since I brought them home and took picture. Gathered they were 1C’s from the serials, guess I’ll have to eBay a cable. Though I’ve read plenty of people saying they tired of the “gimmicky” SDA aspect, nixed it, and just drive them normally, like I have them now. The...
  3. T

P.S. i saw a pair of ADS L1290’s go for, i kid you not, $30 on OfferUp last week (I’m up here in Seattle). Missed out by an hour or so. So these Polks are my consolation prize. They have a sorta ADS look to them, tweeters especially. Ima just pretend they’re L1590s, lol!
  4. T

Hey all, picked up these minty (drivers anyway, cosmetics “good”) Polk SDA-1’s at the thrift this morning for $60. Still feeling them out. My only other Polks were ...RT7’s? RT9’s? Modern theater bookshelf’s that I’ll admit i rather liked. But having had Infinity Kappa 6’s and ADS L690’s...
  5. T

CR -1020 score! Pair with a PX-3?

The c55? Is it silver or black? I have the black t35 tuner, any interest?
  6. T

CR -1020 score! Pair with a PX-3?

Hey all, scored this ridiculously minty(there isn’t even a speck of dust inside it!) CR-1020 at the local thrift for $25 this weekend. It is a thing of beauty! Anybody running a full vintage Yammy system? ‘Cause i have a bead on a local PX-3(at a more appropriate/expected price). But my current...
  7. T

Off the wagon, back in the game. Also, Sanyo Plus!

So i’m strictly a “found” vintage audio person. Thrift stores, garage sales, etc. After about six months of delving into this hobby I’d managed to assemble what i think was a pretty decent system: Sansui 5050db Realistic LAB-440 Marantz CD-53 ADS L690’s Learning and finding the stuff was a...
  8. T

Electro-voice score/info??

Hey all! Scored this pair of Electro-voice EV-8's in ridiculous condition for $8 at the thrift. Upon hooking them up, wasn't real impressed; had that veiled/muffled thing going on. Ya know, sounded a little *too* vintage. But after fiddling with the "acoustic balance control" (what seems to be...
  9. T

How do ADS stack up?

Okay, so A/B’d them for a while. Conclusion arrived at. Here’s a partial listening list for anyone who might be interested. Marantz CD-53 through a Sansui 5050, btw (I spin LP’s on a Lab-440, through the Sansui, and out RtR exp-8’s for a decidedly 70’s vinyl sound. But I don’t condsider vinyl...
  10. T

How do ADS stack up?

Hey all, so maybe six months ago I scored a perfect pair of Infinity Kappa 6.1 series II's for $20 at the local Value Village. Recently decided to flip them(for a healthy profit!), make room for whatever else I might run across. Quite serendipitously, I'm poking around the Goodwill today when...
  11. T

Strads

Hey, just chiming in, but I came across a mismatched (different models) pair of Stradivari speakers at the local goodwill(which is kind of a dumping ground for the Seattle area audio community, so nice rare/nice stuff isn’t uncommon: Beogram 5000, Marantz 950, etc. always missing a cartridge or...
  12. T

Mystery thrift store speaker.

Well spotted to those who said Vifa, the serial on the tweeter does indeed seem to match those used by Vifa/Peerless/tymphany(which is the parent company I cannot tell). Nothing on the woofer but it looks like it could be an early version of Peerless SDF line. If it is home brew, it’s...
  13. T

Heres the back panel pulled off. The two coils appear to have come unglued from where they were mounted on the panel.
  14. T

Another thrift store "score". $10 for this handsome vintage tower. Two way. Real wood veneer on very well assembled cab. It blew away all the Sanyo, Sony, etc at the store, and compares quite well with my Infinity Kappa 6's (as good, less low end, but maybe better imaging) No markings. The...
  15. T

Thrift store Infinity Kappa 6.1’s

Hey all, scored a pair of Kappa 6.1 series 2’s for $20 at the local Value Village. Seem to be in perfect condition, sound excellent. Also found a Denon DCD-1000 for $12, which i think makes my CDs sound noticeably better! I always kinda scoffed at CD player connoisseurs, but... ANYWAY: I’m...
  16. T

My thrift store set-up: nothing over $30

Sure. I'm in the middle of renovating a little cabin > garage conversion back into a cabin/tiny house. That's why everything looks half built It's all just displayed beneath my tv. Had the audio technica LP60 in place of the Lab 440. Looked more contemporary/ fitting, but it doesn't sound...
  17. T

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Good god what a bunch of boring "dad's", lol. Although whoever posted Al Di Meola's Elegant Gypsy knows what's up! I'm currently spinning Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues on my Lab 440, into Nova 10's Today's listening has/will also included: Fleet Foxes - Crack-up, Sun Giant EP Radiohead -...
  18. T

My thrift store set-up: nothing over $30

So I travel for work. Lotsa time in rental cars. Due to my growing discontent with Bluetooth streaming to modern car audio systems(you'd think they'd be prime examples of modern drivers/bitrates/ blah blah. Nope! Appallingly, disgustingly bad! In a blaring, bass-y, fatiguing way) I was compelled...
  19. T

Nova 10 score: ...passive radiator??

So I found a pair of Nova 10's at a local GW today for $25. A bit steep for my thrift store audio tastes, but the drivers were pristine, and I have a weakness for the sound and aesthetic of vintage 70s audio... Plus they match my current tt, a Realistic Lab 440 (like new, $10. thanks Value...
  20. T

Powered Advent Loudspeakers: anyone have repair experience with these??

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster. So I picked up a pair of PALs at the thrift store the other day. One wanted to work, the other had the overload light on, but they only wanted $30 for the pair so I rolled the dice. I'm a novice with electronics, but not an idiot, so I was able to...
Back
Top Bottom