Search results

1. Pentotark

Can't set up antiskate correctly on a SME 3009 S2 Improved with Grado Gold Cartridge

Hi, I own a Thorens td 124 with a SME 3009 s2 improved arm and a freshly bought Grado Gold cartridge. But I cannot make the anti-skate work as I can see the tonearm moving toward the center of the blank test record instead of holding steady in position. This is what I do: 1 - I set the rider...
  2. Pentotark

Nakamichi BX-100 does FF and RW but not playback

Hi, a couple of months ago I bought a Nakamichi BX-100E. It worked well for a while and then I started to have some issues with playback. I can fast-forward and rewind no problem but sometimes playback stops after a second and I can see the right spindle struggling. I made a video about this...
  3. Pentotark

Looking for suggestions on my first cassette deck.

Hi, I am looking for a reliable mid-range cassette deck as my tapes collection is growing. I am new to decks and I am not savvy enough to know what to look for. I did a small research online and I think a good starting point could be a 3 head unit with full logic controls from the mid...
  4. Pentotark

How to connect Marantz Imperial 6 ?

Hi, I own a pair of Marantz imperial 6 speakers and at the moment they are connected with bare wire like this: I was wondering if there are better ways to do that because couple years the cable is oxydised and I'd just like a nicer/easier way to connect them. I tried to use spades, but the...
  5. Pentotark

Is it possible to stream music while displaying track info and artwork to a tv?

I think it is pretty common to have an hi-fi stereo sharing the living room with a tv, and at first I used to stream Spotify, Tidal and Plex music using the smart tv apps hooked to a dac. The cool thing about it is that you can display track info, progress and album art on a big tv screen. It's...
  6. Pentotark

Speaker Pops when turning tube amp on and off

I have a Primaluna Prologue Classic hooked to a pair of Martin Logan Motion 20 Speakers. Just recently, when I turn the amp on, after a minute or two I hear a series of loud pops. When I turn the amplifier off, I can hear one pop right away but that one it is much quieter. What worries me are...
  7. Pentotark

Help figuring out tube branding on a Primaluna Prologue Classic

Hi everyone, Few weeks ago I bought an used Primaluna Prologue Classic from a local dealer and enjoying it since. The amplifier came with non stock tubes, they all look from different brands and I wanted to ask if you people could help me figure out the brands and if these are good matching...
  8. Pentotark

New Isolation Feet for My Pro-ject Essential Turntable

Hi everyone! I have upgraded my project turntable with an acrylic platter in the past and for a while I wanted to replace the stock feet with nicer looking ones: These are custom made by the folks at mnpctech . The installation process is quite easy. First you gotta fix in place the tonearm...
  9. Pentotark

Are these cork panels any good for sound absorption?

I have a bunch of these 5cm thick cork panels laying in my attic. They were used as roof insulation to let heat not to escape. I was wandering if it is worth to recycle them to make some sound absorbing panels out of it but I have no sound knowledge to understand if that is a good option or not...
  10. Pentotark

Looking for tube amp suggestions for a entry level system

Hello, I am owner of the following stereo system: I want to switch from integrated to a tube amp and thought asking here would be a good starting point for my research. What would you guys suggest given the equipment I already own? Budget wise I am not sure, but I suppose around 200/300...
  11. Pentotark

Amplifier noise (hum?) at zero volume

I while back I got an used AKAI 1030L integrated amplifier. It worked great for a few months, then a background noise got louder and louder to a point that its audible during playback of quieter or acoustic songs. No matter how I turn volume, balance, bass or treble knobs, the noise is always...
  12. Pentotark

Volume too low after installing Grado Black 2 cartridge

Today I visited a near HiFi shop, they're really friendly and nice so, after I told them about my system and my desire to upgrade it, they recommended to upgrade my needle to a Grado Black 2 to make my system more even in quality. Here my system before the upgrade: I installed the cartridge...
  13. Pentotark

Tark's system

Hi, I wanted to show to AK community my system to get some feedback and precious advices on how I can improve it. The speakers are a beautiful pair of Marantz Imperial 6 I found a while ago at a thrift store. I took care of them and made a pair of wooden stands a while ago. I love the sound...
  14. Pentotark

Watching movies with my music listening setup: voices and dialogues issue

I own a decent entry level stereo setup with witch I primarily listen to music. Every now and then I watch movies as well but I noticed that voices and dialogue are the hardest to grasp, they are low and confused while everything else is loud and immersive. Is that a common thing when using...
  15. Pentotark

DIY Speaker kit from Europe?

A couple weeks ago I asked about a good DIY speaker kit to play with, as a first timer, and we ended up choosing the overnight sensations. Unfortunately shipping cost from parts express in the US to Europe is really high and doubles the cost of the kit. I was wandering if you guys could advice...
  16. Pentotark

How to align an OM 10 cartridge

I own an Ortofon OM cartridge with a 10 needle. I cannot find any guide online with useful tips about how to align this cartridge. The cartridge does not have any straight edges or a boxy shape to ease up alignment and when I use my Baerwald protractor it is quite hard to align it to the lines...
  17. Pentotark

DIY speaker kit suggestions?

I have never built a pair of speakers before so I was looking for taking a mid step and buy a pre-made diy kit to assembly. At the moment my top choice is the Overnight Sensations MT speakers from Parts Express. I would like to know your option about it and if you think its a good entry level...
  18. Pentotark

Old type binding posts, which connector?

On the back of my Marantz Imperial 6 there are this old type of screw binding posts. Right now the bare cable is wrapping around them as you can see in the picture I attached to this post. I would like to make an easier way to plug and unplug the cables without changing the binding post type...
  19. Pentotark

Looking for a used integrated amplifier (150$)

Hi, I was thinking if you guys can help me find out a good sounding integrated amplifier on the used market for around 150$. Any brand or model you would recommend looking for? Thanks =)
  20. Pentotark

Simple Speaker Stands (Marants Imperial 6)

A few days ago I drew a simple project of a pair of speaker stands for my Marantz Imperial 6 speakers. Each stand is made by 4 pieces of 2,8cm whick glulam timber. I will also use 4 black aluminium feet with rubber on the bottom. I am making such a tall stand because over time I realized I...
  21. Pentotark

AT95E wiring help, and Spotify comparison

Today I received my Audio Technica AT95E cartridge to replace an Ortofon OM 5E that came pre-installed on my turntable, a Pro-Ject Essential 2. The reason why I changed is because the needle's suspension on the 5E collapsed and the body of the cartridge was touching the record. I rewired the...
  22. Pentotark

Phono pre-amp humming noise

I recently purchased an used Pro-Ject Phono box phono pre-amplifier. I am extremely satisfied with the sound quality, definitely richer when compared to my Pyle PP999, but what annoys me is that the background humming noise is much louder and can be heard much sooner when I turn the volume knob...
  23. Pentotark

Woofer paper surround replacement (Marantz Imperial 6)

Right now I am going through the process of cleaning and restoring a pair of Marantz Imperial 6 speakers When I unmounted the woofer I noticed there is a paper surround that is extremely fragile, broken or unglued from the bottom, where the rubber of the woofer is glued. Here a photo. I had a...
  24. Pentotark

Sound distortion from turntable

I am owner of a Pro-Ject Essential II turntable and when I play some records I noticed the sound has some kind of pitch fluctuation that can be unnerving ad distracting because it sounds like the voice or instruments are off tune. This also happens cyclically at each revolution of the record...
  25. Pentotark

Connecting 4 speakers to an amplifier with only two speakers out

Hello, I have 2 sets of speakers, both rated 100Watt but my amplifier supports only one set. Do exist a safe to connect both sets to my amplifier? The amplifier is rated 44Watt per channel. Thank you very much.
Back
Top Bottom