Search results

1. Nixxuz

Preamp build no channel separation.

So this is like my 4th build. I believed I had everything right this time, but running a 1khz signal into a single channel on the preamp gives me the exact same 1khz output to both the right and left channels. This is true whether I'm running the right or left input. I ran it in my system and...
  2. Nixxuz

Is this correct?

I recent obtained a chassis that came with multiple switches. I guess I've never had one come with everything, so I was a bit confused at the included 0.01uf X2 cap. Based on what I have read, this is a "snubber" cap to prevent arcing across the poles from AC? I assume I'm doing this right?
  3. Nixxuz

Basic question from an uneducated DIY'er.

So I'm doing a build of the KSL-M7 clone that's been around a few years at this point. I've built up just enough knowledge to not follow pictures and instead try to pay attention to actual schematics. This might be a case of a little bit of knowledge being worse than none at all. I've got 2...
  4. Nixxuz

Help me build a sub enclosure for HT use?

So, some years back I got a sub driver for use with my main 2 channel system. I eventually went in a different direction, but I still have the driver, and amp to power it, and it's currently residing in my HT system. I have a feeling the driver is capable of better sound if I were to build an...
  5. Nixxuz

EHX's Mike Matthews claims worldwide panic on vacuum tubes

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/panic-on-availability-of-vacuum-tubes-mike-matthews-future-valve-amps/ For what it's worth, the guy is probably full of it, and trying to increase demand. AFAIK, Shuguang is in the process of relocating after a fire in their previous factory, during an ongoing...
  6. Nixxuz

Subbing a 5U4GB for a 53ZP...in this design

So I was reading through one of the threads concerning the interchangeability of the 594GB and the 53ZP, and noticed one of the possible caveats has to do with the circuit used. Something about the value of certain caps in power supply section. Based on this schematic, am I asking for trouble in...
  7. Nixxuz

How hot should 845's get?

Wondering what the "average" operating temp for 845s would be. I ask because the Chinese... well, they don't always wire transformers to the exact voltage they tell you. I have a cheaper 805 based amp that was getting VERY hot after an hour or so of use. I used an IR thermometer and the plates...
  8. Nixxuz

Schematic question

So my Himing Mona monoblocks showed up today. Really, really, heavy. Before even thinking of firing them up, I wanted to take a gander at the guts. I had emailed the seller for a schematic before I ever even though of ordering, and was provided one. From their website pics, they were going with...
  9. Nixxuz

Just a heads up from a music producer concerning Tidal and MQA.

I don't have a dog in this race, but I know a lot of people on AK use Tidal, so I figured they should see this. I neither endorse nor dispute the opinions expressed in the video. I am also not the creator of the video, so I can't answer any questions concerning it or it's claims.
  10. Nixxuz

Mmmmm, thick Polish ladies...

Gotta love em'.
  11. Nixxuz

Looking for thoughts on a prospective purchase.

Though I'm pretty sure I'm making the order, I figured I'd just casually see what the forum thinks about a pair of 845 monoblocks I'm interested in. I ran it by my EE friend, and he said it looked ok.
  12. Nixxuz

Voltage converter suggestions.

So, in a few weeks, roughly, I may take ownership of a tube amp wired for 220V. I do not live in a place that has 220V on the mains. I assume I can use a simple voltage converter, but am unsure if there is anything, outside of wattage rating, to be looking for. The amp is rated as having a power...
  13. Nixxuz

What's the deal with Kelvin leads?

Looking into some electrolytics for a project, and I find a few manufacturers using 4 lead "kelvin" configurations. From what I can ascertain, it's just dual parallel leads? What the point, exactly, for using this config?
  14. Nixxuz

Great Heil 3D printed diffuser? Can't seem to find the thread...

I'm pretty sure one of the AK members has done some mods for the Great Heil AMT1 tweeters and they did it with 3D printed parts. I was just trying to find either the thread or the member to see if they have any SRT files I could get to print my own.
  15. Nixxuz

Welp, here I am.

A couple years ago I posted amazement on AK, after discovering the crazy prices certain PIO caps can go for. Yesterday I ordered a pair of almost those same caps. You people are a menace.
  16. Nixxuz

Question concerning 6X4 vs SS rectifier.

So I built a "study" of the KSL-M77 preamp some time ago. Love the sound, but I've been looking into solid state drop in rectifiers vs tube, and I wanted to see if swapping in an SS, probably diode based, rectifier, would change the sound for the better. This is all based on the voltage sag...
  17. Nixxuz

What are the arguments against nonpolar electrolytics in coupling?

Just digging into caps, as I am wont to do, and I'm not seeing a lot of actual evidence for or against electrolytics vs film caps in coupling roles. In fact, most of the evidence presented suggests electrolytics are probably better at reducing distortion. Is it just a matter of value variances...
  18. Nixxuz

3 way toggle switch for Elekit 8200R?

Just wondering if anyone has tried installing a pair of 3 way toggles for changing the operating modes on the Elekit 8200R. Since it can run in triode, pentode, or UL, and it's just a matter of moving a jumper on each side to change them, I figure it shouldn't be hard to install switches. I...
  19. Nixxuz

Long distance help.

So a friend bought a DIY 6V6 amp. He's roughly 1500 miles from me, but he's having problems and asking for a hand in diagnosis. Supposedly, all tubes are new-ish, though I understand that doesn't exactly mean anything. He gets a crackling sound when tapping the chassis or any tubes, but not just...
  20. Nixxuz

How to ribbons/planars present an impedance to amps?

Just wondering, since I have read that most ribbon/planar tweeters have, essentially, almost no impedance in and of themselves, how to the off the shelf tweeters present an impedance to an amplifier? I've run HiVi RT2C's and now Great Heil AMT1's. Supposedly there is a matching impedance...
  21. Nixxuz

Can someone recommend a transformer?

Based upon this terrible hand drawn schematic? I can include the entire schematic for the amp, but I really just want to initially replace the mains tranny, and then replace the output trannys. My problem is; I'm not really conversant enough in reading schematics to totally understand what I am...
  22. Nixxuz

Anybody know who manufactured tubes for the "AMC" brand?

I got a couple of generic NOS 6SJ7 tubes from an online retailer some time back. Nothing mentioned about branding or anything, but when they showed up they were "AMC" and labelled Made in England. Anyone know anything about who might have been the manufacturer? I know lots of brands just...
  23. Nixxuz

Any recommendations for custom wound power transformers?

I know there are tons of threads discussing this, but a casual search tends to offer up any mention of anyone using custom wound. Not where they got it, or what it might have cost. I'm specifically looking for companies people have used for custom transformers, along with, hopefully, at least...
  24. Nixxuz

Just got the wife a knife for her BDay.

For those who are interested in such things. We have a Shun Premier 8", but I thought we could go in a different direction this time. Wanted something a little more handcrafted. Ordered a Tanaka Blue #2 Kurouchi Gyuto 210mm Custom from Chef Knives To Go. I think she will like it, and she has a...
  25. Nixxuz

Peter Green dead at 73.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1173764/peter-green-fleetwood-mac-co-founder-and-guitarist-dead-at-73
Back
Top Bottom