Search results

1. K

Pioneer CT-F950 issues

I would add the popping is either a grounding problem or bad caps.
  2. K

Pioneer CT-F950 issues

The ”Ker-chunk” you will sadly have to live with. The deck`s spindle is of a smaller dimension relative to the cassette’s hub (obviously) and therefore the weight of the pack on the supply side will drop with a Ker-chunk as it turns. This will get progressively less as the tape transfers to the...
  3. K

The myths of demagnetizing?

I understand the principles, but the end result is the same. Low coercivity = easy to demagnetize, low retentivity = cannot retain magnetism.
  4. K

I do demagnetize as a habit, been that way since the 70's as it was the accepted norm, but I'm trying to understand why it's needed since the materials in question have low coercivity / retentivity.
  5. K

Permalloy, mu-metal, sendust and (soft) ferrite all have the following properties that make them ideal for tape heads, high permeability and low coercivity. Permeability is a measure of the ability to accept and thus pass on a magnetic field, i.e. from the coil to the tape and coercivity is a...
  6. K

Sony Eklcaset EL-5: Help/Advice needed

I don't have an EL5 or a service manual, but this sounds like dirty record/play switches, the long multi-contact switches on the amp board that either send signal (and bias) to the head or receive signal from the head. You will find these on 2-head cassette decks of the 70's. If this deck has...
  7. K

My latest 'Back From the Dead' project

Primitive decks, even in this last incarnation, but boy do I want one! I'm so jeolous.
  8. K

Philips N4520 or N4522

The PC I scanned the manual on to went belly up a few months back, well not completely, it just advises me it will self-destruct in the next five seconds everytime I power it up. I can't find the file on my NAS or backups either, sadly. Luckily, I haven't disposed of the old PC yet, so att...
  9. K

NAD 6300 frequency response

There were very few UK branded/designed cassette decks. NAD was one, NEAL was another (still make interview recorders I believe) and Arcam made one model based on a Denon transport. I did play with one of these at a show, but of course you can't really listen properly with all the noise. Would...
  10. K

Tandberg TCD 310 mkII wood panels?

The current definition of an inch is exactly 25.4mm. In other words it is just as accurate as the metric system. And if you look at standards measured in inches the metric version looks 'inaccurate', for example 15" = 38.1cm. Having said that I agree the metric system is simpler and more logical.
  11. K

Replacing 2sc458's in Akai GX-266D

The difference is in the gain of the transistor. 2SC2240GR has gain 400, 2SC2240BL has gain 700. The GR is closest to the 2SC458 which has gain 350 if I remember correctly.
  12. K

Nakamichi DR10 - How is it?

Single deck, dual capstan, 3 heads, Dolby B and C.
  13. K

Nakamichi DR10 - How is it?

I have one of these, bought new 13-14 years back, the last three head deck Nakamichi made. There are no flashy functions on it, just simple bias adjust, but it does sound very nice.
  14. K

Welcome to the British Audio Forum!

Just discovered this forum today. I haven't read all the posts so apologies if I'm repeating what has been said. IMO British stuff generally focuses on functionality rather than aesthetics. Soundwise the electronics vary from brand to brand just like anywhere else, with the possible exception of...
  15. K

What's British in your system?

Quite a lot actually. Main: Linn Genki, Kolektor, LK100, Sekrit. AV: Cyrus AV5, SmartPower, 2x power amps name forgotten, Linn Unik x5. TV room: B&W MM-1. Cabin: NAD 514, 414, tuner modell forgotten, Cambridge Audio 500 power amp. Gathering dust: Rega Planar 300, Musical Fidelity...
  16. K

Sound quality of Tandberg TD-20A SE open reel recorder and 3014A cassette tape deck?

I live in Sweden and I have never seen a TCD3014 for sale on the local sites, or even the 400 series, so they are either very rare here or people don't sell them or both. The TD20 does show up regularly though. I have two. Mains voltage in Western Europe is currently 230V vs 220V when these...
  17. K

Pioneer CT-9R

If I remember correctly the 8R and 9R had the same transport, which did get very hot, differences being in features. These units sounded surprisingly good despite the plastic flimsy look (compared to the previous silver series units etc CTF-900/1000/950/1250).
  18. K

Akai gx630db reel to reel

That's the one I meant too (small board). TIP50 has higher tolerances, no reason not to use it when replacing the TIP47.
  19. K

New Tape vs NOS and used.

Pressure pads and back-coated tape is not a good idea. There will be increased friction and perhaps flutter and definitely a shortened lifespan of the pads, not to mention the mechanical noise.
  20. K

Akai gx630db reel to reel

Begin by cleaning the tape speed switch (and all other switches while you are in there). If the problem continues after cleaning then you may need to replace the TIP47 transistor on the motor control board. Use TIP50.
  21. K

ATTN elcaset guru's-- I need advise

Most likely the tension of the tape between the capstans is wrong. There are several possibilities here. The capstan belt could be worn. The pinch rollers could be stiff. The back tension function that pulls tape tight on entering a tape in the deck might not be working so there is slack when...
  22. K

Top three best consumer and prosumer reel to reels in your vision, designwise

At risk of drifting off topic, I believe all circuit components on the Ferrographs, switches, attenuators etc are standard products still available today and mechanically (once the original faulty rubber has been replaced) these decks are pretty much indestructible. However. the heads are known...
  23. K

Nab / iec

The RT2022 has NAB/IEC capability
  24. K

RTR channel drop out

Changing speeds while the deck is on in normal use is fine, but my point was it is unnecessary to put strain on the servo circuit and motor by flicking the switch up and down many times and quickly to clean the switch. Better to do it with the deck off.
  25. K

RTR channel drop out

But don't do that with the tape speed switch while the deck is switched on!
Back
Top Bottom