Search results

1. V

Incredibly strange problem. Help!

I have an Acoustic Research AU Integrated Amplifier that has a really strange problem. Everything sounds fine, except when the NULL position is selected. With NULL selected, it makes a terribly harsh electronic clacking and buzzing sound. Ok, so now the really strange part, while I had the amp...
  2. V

Acoustic Research AU Amplifier HELP

I'm working on my fathers AR amplifier. One of the channels was cutting in and out and there where just general noise issues with it. I did a recap of all electrolytic caps and everything works and sounds great, except one strange problem. The NULL position does not work right when selected...
  3. V

Capacitor help

Anyone know what this capacitor value and voltage rating is? Besides the - polarity marking, all it says is “telecon 1 / 50 capacitor.” Does this mean 1uf 50v? There are 4 of these in a 70s cassette player that I want to replace.
  4. V

MCS 3223

Found this on the street. Cleaned up very nicely and everything works great. Sounds pretty good on some crappy speakers that some family members had laying around. Thanks to COVID I don’t have access to my speakers right now to have a good listen nor any of my tools to take measurements. Any...
  5. V

Rek-O-Kut running fast

I've got a Rek-O-Kut Rodine Jr L-34. Works beautifully. Except it runs just a bit too fast. I set the screw for the slowest possible and its still too fast. If I move the screw any farther, the idler wheel doesn't contact the platter and nothing spins. Any ideas? The idlers look to be in good...
  6. V

Cassette stops in the same place.

One of my cassettes stops in the exact same place every time. It will be playing along and then all of a sudden the the tape stopes and the play button flips up as though I hit stop or something. Its very strange. Looking closely, I don't see any problems with the cassette. I'm sure its the...
  7. V

Help with these tubes.

So these Baldwin labels tubes are stated to be Raytheon. But they say made in Japan. Who exactly made this specific tube? And more importantly, how does this specific tube sound? Anyone know? EDIT: Removed ebay link. See pics in below response.
  8. V

JSE Infinite Slope Model 1

long story short, got a pair of these real cheap at a thrift shop. They seemed I. Great condition. But the tweeters are both dead. I’m visiting family for the next few days so don’t have any tools. The tweeters looks fine. Does anyone have a schematic for the crossover? I found a pic on eBay...
  9. V

Subwoofer Question

I scored a perfect condition pair of Epos M5 the other day for $30. Crazy! Anyway, they sound quite nice. But I'm finding I want more bass. Was considering getting a sub to try out. Not looking to drop a lot of money on one. Someone near me is selling a mint condition Velodyne Impact Mini...
  10. V

KLH 6 Tweeter Sealant

i have some very early KLH Model 6s that I love and use daily. Tonight I noticed that the paper surround is no longer glued to the back metal plate on of the tweeter. Looks like some sort of brown glue was used. What’s the best way to repair this? Will any glue do the job? This is not my pic...
  11. V

Acoustic Research AR6 HELP

Im looking to bring a pair of AR6 speakers back to life. Looks like they sat uncovered in a musky basement for years. The pots on the back are corroded stiff on both. One has no woofer or tweeter at all, but still has the crossover. The other has the tweeter, woofer, and crossover. But the...
  12. V

One channel dead?

So I did two mods on my Dynaco ST70 and now the right channel is silent. Any help woud be appreciated! I replaced the rectifier tube with UF4007 diodes. and used a 10w/50ohm resistor on the output of the diodes to bring the voltage down a bit. I also added a CL90 on the AC wall line, before it...
  13. V

Variac questions

So my wall voltage swings between 120 and 124v. Makes me nervous with my system. I was thinking of using a variac to bring it down a few volts. Is this something I could just set and leave on all the time, or should it be powered down with the rest of the system? I know I could also just build...
  14. V

Dynaco ST-70 Voltages?

Deleted original post message. All is fine. I was just misreading the dynaco voltage chart. Tried to delete this thread but it don't know how.
  15. V

Dynaco Tubes - HELP

I have an early Dynaco ST-70. I rebuilt it with new caps, resistors, PCB board, filter cap, etc. All stock values. No mods. It all works great. I'm considering getting a matched quad of KT77 tubes for the amp. Each channel of the amp has different brands of tubes. Original Mullard EL34s in...
  16. V

ESL S-1000 Arm Base

Well, it looks like the tonearm base, which is most likely Bakelite, has heavily cracked. It won’t allow me to tighten the set screw to set the tonearm height. Anyone know where I can find a replacement? Vintage or modern repo is fine. Metal is fine as well. Maybe even preferred so I don’t have...
  17. V

Shure M3D vs Audio-Technica AT964XEa!

Just thought I'd post this here for fun. Found an AT964XEa laying around that nobody wanted. System: Rek-O-Kut L-34 w/ ESL S-1000 > Dynaco PAS 2 (rebuilt, no tone controls) > Dynaco ST-70 (rebuilt) > KLH Model 6 (new caps & sealant). [ This forum has been incredibly helpful in getting this...
  18. V

Dynaco PAS2 Questions

I have a late 50s unit. I rebuild the two PCBs. All stock values. And replaced the selenium and a new volume pot. And bypassed the tone controls. Everything is running nicely. However..... The unit still has the original filter can cap. I’d like to replace this can cap. Im aware there are many...
  19. V

Rek-O-Kut L34

A new noise has developed in my L34. I'm aware of rumble, and low frequency stuff. I've taken a bunch of measures to diminish these noises to a level I'm happy with. However, a few days ago a higher pitched cricket like sound has developed and I'm certain its coming from inside the motor...
  20. V

KLH Model 6 - Help

I've got a nice pair of KLH Model 6 speakers. I've been reading up on them and all the methods people do the restore them, if needed. I've also read that the early models often don't need a recap because they used some military spec metal encased caps. My serial numbers are: 10,646 and...
  21. V

Sherwood S-3000 III Help

So I acquired this tuner. I've got it hooked up. Everything seems to work except I'm getting a loud oscillation that changes pitch when I turn the tuning knob. Any ideas on what this could be and how to fix it?
  22. V

Basic Help. I'm new to turntables!

So I recently was given a Rek-O-Kut Rondine Jr. L-34 turntable with an ESL S-1000 tonearm. I will say this now...I know almost NOTHING about turntables. I've never really used them before. I'm hoping the community here could help me out. Its up and running with my Dynaco PAS-2 and ST-70 and a...
  23. V

Audio Research Stereo Amplifier HELP

I'm wondering if you guys could help me out. My father's AR amplifier is not working properly, all of a sudden. The amp will work for about 20 min just fine when first turned on. After that, the volume drops significantly and the sound becomes distorted and staticky. This all happens much sooner...
Back
Top Bottom