Search results

1. Wigwam Jones

Might want to stock up on Russian vacuum tubes

Honestly, sometimes I think my audio pals and my firearm buddies are cut from the same cloth; when the prices on firearms and ammunition spiked a couple years back, they were all going nuts, paying crazy prices, convinced that the end was nigh and prices would never come back down. Of course...
  2. Wigwam Jones

Tag sale stop becomes audio FREAKIN HEAVEN!! A few Pics.

Truly impressive! And I feel much less the hoarder now.
  3. Wigwam Jones

Might want to stock up on Russian vacuum tubes

Based on what I have been hearing from my friends who buy Russian-made goods such as firearms, recent sanctions against Russia will be resulting in severe restrictions on Russian imports to the USA and other countries. Not being political, I am only offering a recommendation based on recent...
  4. Wigwam Jones

Which Paradigm Atoms are these?

Well, I got the backs off. Both woofers needed to be refoamed. I believe the cast woofers are 6.5 inch and the 6.5 inch surrounds I purchased arrived, so I was good to go. I did notice that my replacements were a tiny bit too large. They measured 5.25 inches from the top of the roll to the...
  5. Wigwam Jones

Never seen these speakers before......

They were high-end speakers. Very expensive in their day.
  6. Wigwam Jones

Bought This As A Label Saver Not Working

Bingo. For some reason, it's hard to convince anyone of that, though. They see water on a label and freak out. It's water, folks. It dries. Get over it.
  7. Wigwam Jones

'70 Cuda stolen and now found. But police said they can't do anything .....

It's rooted in English Common Law. I sincerely doubt it will be thrown out in all US states. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_limitations "The purpose and effect of statutes of limitations is to protect defendants. There are three reasons that support the existence of statutes of...
  8. Wigwam Jones

Watch the video. Some states do not have a statute of limitations on stolen vehicles. This one apparently does. I believe it is a civil matter; the rightful owners will have to sue in court to regain possession.
  9. Wigwam Jones

Digital Confession

You can go with a simple miniplug-to-RCA adapter, such as those available from Radio Shack and elsewhere. Couple of bucks. If you aim for somewhat higher quality, you can go with a DAC at any price point you feel comfortable with, going from USB on your laptop to RCA outputs to route into your...
  10. Wigwam Jones

Take Batteries Out Of Unused Remotes

Good advice! You can remove the white 'stuff' with white vinegar on q-tips. The stuff is highly alkaline, and vinegar is acidic. They will react and neutralize each other. Best of luck.
  11. Wigwam Jones

Digital Confession

I enjoy digital and I enjoy analog. However, having said that, once an analog source is moved to the digital domain, especially if it was compressed to do so (MP3, etc), what was lost cannot be put back by copying it back to an analog source. In other words, it won't be the same as it was...
  12. Wigwam Jones

I don't think you quite grasped what I said. In the US, we have something called the Statute of Limitations, which basically sets limits on how long after a particular crime a person can be criminally prosecuted for something. The particulars of the law vary from state to state. Murder, as an...
  13. Wigwam Jones

Title establishes ownership for purposes of licensing. It is not a requirement for ownership, neither is a bill of sale. Granted that without a title, the current owner can do nothing with the vehicle, including driving it on public roads. But one does not need title to retain possession of a...
  14. Wigwam Jones

If I understood the text of the article correctly, the statute of limitations is up on the stolen car. The current owner cannot be prosecuted for a crime, which means the police can't do anything. It is a civil matter. The previous owner can sue to regain title and then get a court order to...
  15. Wigwam Jones

Wheeler Dealers

I have enjoyed that show from time to time, although I don't watch much TV in general.
  16. Wigwam Jones

Scrubbing Bubbles Results

I tried the advice about the microwave. Some of the ink on some of the covers melted; very bad. Smoke and stuff. Several covers started burning like toast, smelled like it too. I do not advise the microwave. Might work on SOME covers, but it definitely did not work on the ones I tried it...
  17. Wigwam Jones

50cal. Ammo Can

Thanks to your son for his service to our nation. Semper Fidelis! :thmbsp:
  18. Wigwam Jones

Stromberg-Carlson MONSTER RH-416 speaker cabinet

That's very kind of you! However, I think the 15 inch full-range Wolverine will probably do the job. Like you, I also have a few console pulls I'm trying to put to good use!
  19. Wigwam Jones

Power Of Observation

http://manchesterhistory.net/architecture/1990/zizkov.html
  20. Wigwam Jones

What is your eBay strategy?

You cannot snipe a live auction. High bid does indeed win in both cases, but since a live auction is not time-limited, sniping at the last second merely gives everyone present more time to bid; this can go on indefinitely until everyone eventually drops out. Live auctions are really not...
  21. Wigwam Jones

My 'strategy' if you can call it that, is information. I find things I'm interested in that are misspelled, mis-listed, mis-categorized, and so on. Fuzzy photos, bad descriptions, and some knowledge of the item in question is key. When I was seriously into camera collecting, I picked up many...
  22. Wigwam Jones

Actually, it is quite different. If you wait until the hammer is about to fall at a live auction, and then bid, the hammer doesn't fall and everyone has another chance for the "Going, going, gone." It resets the clock, so to speak. Sniping programs take advantage of the fact that the hammer...
  23. Wigwam Jones

Generations of Music

If it's OK for him to like it (and I agree that it's perfectly OK to like Taylor Swift), then it's also OK for him to not like it. Swords like that cut both ways.
  24. Wigwam Jones

Quadraphonic Receiver Question

I just picked up a Pioneer QX-8000 and it has them. Two complete sets, front and back. IMGP0031 by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr
  25. Wigwam Jones

Big name movies you have never seen?

People who like movies don't seem to be able to grasp the notion that many people just aren't that into them. A few, a select few, and on my own terms (meaning Blue Ray at home), and I'm good. Need to get out more? I'm in my dojo three nights a week. That's all I need to get out. Let...
Back
Top Bottom