Search results

1. scottyawd

Tandberg 3000 Series knobs

@jdurbin1 Thank you for the knowledge drop.
  2. scottyawd

I have a 3012A and a 3008A with the machined knobs as well. I really hope that's not plastic, but powder coated aluminum. I've seen plastic switch-gear on their really low end parts (the 3030 Receiver). Even the 3000 series parts that Tandberg refers to as "budget conscious" parts in their own...
  3. scottyawd

So I've noticed in my that some Tandberg 3000 series components have machined aluminum knobs and some have what looks like powder coated knobs. Even the same model of equipment has different knobs. See below: Machined- Powder-coated- Does anybody know what/if there's a difference? I've...
  4. scottyawd

Post Your Marantz Gear Here!!!

NR-1504 Receiver It was my first quality piece of gear.
  5. scottyawd

Thoughts on 80's equipment

@Boozehound lol I had to look that term up. I was borne in '82.
  6. scottyawd

@opusarlo Your points are well taken. I have yet to see a Sansui AU-919 or a set of ADS SAT6s at my local thrift store, but prices for equipment from these two decades are "reasonably" priced.
  7. scottyawd

I had never seen one before, so I looked it up. Reminds me of a VCR. Also, I had never owned any gear with VU meters until my Yamaha CA-1010. (Then the LED meters on my ADS A2) The novelty still hasn’t warn off. It’s just neat. Not helping anything, but still fun to look at every once in a while.
  8. scottyawd

Show Me Your Sansui!

Sansui 5000X Receiver (w/ MusicHall MMF 2.2)
  9. scottyawd

That's probably the type of individual that prefers their equipment with silk screened wiring diagrams and graphics on their equipment. :D
  10. scottyawd

@eiraved Somebody should teach a class... (I was shipping an IBM ThinkPad from CA to IL) FORGET about having a turntable shipped. Most shippers I've had the pleasure of dealing with (when it comes to fragile equipment), really have no idea how to pack things.
  11. scottyawd

@eiraved I think you’re spot on with that. The high grade 80s and 90s gear I’ve been looking at still has that pretty machined switch-gear but for the most part has traded VU meters for LEDs. My Tandber TIA 3012A for instance:
  12. scottyawd

@SkyRanger Cool unit. Before tho was a hobby for me, I had no idea that Kyocera made stereo equipment. I see them come up in eBay from time to time, usually with little information.
  13. scottyawd

@bigx5murf The linear tracking turntables were mostly B&O and Sony, right? My co-worker and I have a communal system that we set up in the office. His contribution was a Sony PS-X600. He can go on and on about the "Bio-Tracer" Tech.
  14. scottyawd

What is your occupation?

CADsmith for a commercial AV integrator (Specializing in video conference and media sharing technology)
  15. scottyawd

Pics of your listening space

@ictwoody Your execution is top-notch.
  16. scottyawd

@ictwoody That's so cool. I have a pretty much worthless Motorola console system in storage that I was looking to re purpose at some point. Who has two thumbs and might steal your idea? (This guy)
  17. scottyawd

New HiFi Enthusiast Setting Up a Reference System

@JoeESP9 Thank you for the tip. I guess my concern, is it worth it to complicate the system this early on. This may be a good argument to the significant other to allow for tower speakers, and that opens up a whole new world.
  18. scottyawd

New HiFi Enthusiast Setting Up a Reference System

So I listened to a set of passive KEF LS50s over the weekend. I was BLOWN AWAY by sound that came out drivers of that size. They really are amazing little buggers. I was told that (for coaxials) they are pretty finicky about placement. (May have to do with the small driver size?) Weird. If the...
  19. scottyawd

@Robisme That looks like some nice gear. A bit shiny for my taste, but cool none the less. Reminds me of my Yamaha RX-V530 AVR that I bought in 2001. (Great piece for what it was, recently retired)
  20. scottyawd

What a great thread! It's like a car meet, but with less douchy, entitled, teenagers. (No offense to teenagers)
  21. scottyawd

@for_p1 Mass market systems are cool if a picture of a one brings good memories about serving in the armed forces. This doesn't only have to be about high end gear. But in all seriousness, my dad's plastic fisher system really was horribly awful crap.
  22. scottyawd

@for_p1 I disagree with your assertion that 70's gear is mostly poor sounding by today's standards. But maybe I've just been lucky. As with all electronic equipment maintenance is inevitable. My Sansui 5000X and Yamaha CA-1010 both required service when I acquired them. Such is life. Now they...
  23. scottyawd

@Chris Brown That's really interesting. It makes sense that in that era so much manufacturing moved to China. I did not anticipate the reception of this thread. I'm so happy that so may people are like minded people. My gear from that era: A/D/S/ (Braun) Atelier A2 integrated amp Tandberg TIA...
  24. scottyawd

@bigx5murf Glad to know there's one other person out there that appreciates gear from that era. :thumbsup: @Splatter Pak I was shocked at the weight of my Braun A2 ('88) when I received it. When I was growing up my dad had a Fisher Studio Standard all in one stack that was absolute junk...
  25. scottyawd

What are your opinions on hifi equipment from the 80s and 90s? It seems that everybody has an opinion or a memory on pieces from the 70s. From the beautiful silver faced Pioneers and Kenwoods to the amazing wood cased Luxman and Marantz plus all the sweet Yamahas and Sansuis between. Not to...
Back
Top Bottom