Search results

1. concertfiend

Dilemma- Onkens or 9849A?

Oh yeah, those aren't too deep they look about the same as mine. But I imagine they're quite heavy :) A friend helped me move once and was shocked how heavy mine are. I told him that my dad taught me weight=quality as a general rule with stereo gear. Yours look really nice! You made the cabinets...
  2. concertfiend

Yeah those look big! Maybe a foot wider and 18" taller than mine. I bet they sound great in those cabinets :) What difference do you notice with the super tweeter? I really wish I could find something of the Altec quality like the 604's in a smaller (8") point source driver for the ultimate...
  3. concertfiend

Sorry, I missed this somehow. I just flip them so the horn is on top and at the ear level that sounds best to me. But I've had the thought to build some stands that are lower and angled up, like Polk stands IIRC? Essentially a mirror from what they would be if mounted from a soffit, instead of...
  4. concertfiend

Scott 222C and 222D Any Sound Difference

FWIW to any future readers, it's easy to replace the knobs with the gold end caps with new replacement ones for Marshall amps. I did that when restoring my 222D to its former glory
  5. concertfiend

I've always wanted some Tannoy.............??

Thanks Gordon. Came across an ad for a pair of these for about $150. I own a pair of 615's (will be sold, replaced by Altec 9849 for living room) but was looking for bedroom speakers on a budget. I have also been considering used B&W like CDM1 (or NT), or even 707. I love the treble air/...
  6. concertfiend

Pioneer PAX-30G speakers

Fritz- I have been away a while, but if it helps you the cabinets were approximately 2 feet tall by 18-20" wide and deep. I'm not sure the origin of the cabinets, but they sure looked nice. Whoever built them and decided to put the Pioneers in them did an outstanding job. If I'd kept them I...
  7. concertfiend

Nearly a year later and these are definitely my favorite speakers. They just sound so RIGHT with everything I throw their way :music: Thank you bowtie for the recommendation and helpful info!
  8. concertfiend

Anyone in Denver interested in a meet?

I have an extra scale now, I bought a more precise one for measuring supplements in mg. You can just have it if you want it, I'm an hour north though
  9. concertfiend

Denver meet ups?

Dr Dan went through my Scott tube amp for the previous owner right before I bought it and it sounds pretty fantastic . I can't speak personally to his depth of knowledge for tubes in particular so it might depend on what work you need done
  10. concertfiend

Don't skimp on interconnects, they are very important...

I'm by no means a "cable guy" (I hope to try out decent cables at some point, but work with a limited budget), but I find that last statement a little ridiculous . There's plenty of scientific things that work that I can't explain. I was watching a movie recently with a line in it that was...
  11. concertfiend

Don't skimp on interconnects, they are very important...

I'm by no means a "cable guy" (I hope to try out decent cables at some point, but work with a limited budget), but I find that last statement a little ridiculous . There's plenty of scientific things that work that I can't explain. I was watching a movie recently with a line in it that was...
  12. concertfiend

Refoaming Infinity RS-325

What's the best way to glue the foam to the underside of the cone? This will be my first refoam and looked up videos on refoam jobs but they were all standard style (foam on top of cone ) and I want to make sure I do this right without making a huge mess or messing it up. Thanks for any tips!
  13. concertfiend

Infinity RS 325 install foam or rubber surrounds new caps or not.

How did you replace the foam on these? The foam is on the backside of the cone and I'm not sure the best way to glue the foam to them when it's tricky enough just to get the foam behind the cone... Don't want to make a big mess, apparently I picked the wrong speaker for my first refoam job :dunno:
  14. concertfiend

Check out Jcrickets link there's a handful of members who appear to be going with possibly breakfast before
  15. concertfiend

Denver meet ups?

I've been considering going, it would be my first time. Would be cool to meet some other members...I think I've only met one "active " member, the rest were through craigslist and said they weren't really on AK anymore. Anyone from North of Denver going? I'm up by Fort Collins
  16. concertfiend

I was thinking about going, I've never been. Anyone else?
  17. concertfiend

Big ol' Heathkit AA-1640 left channel issue

Well last thing I did last night was give all 4 sets of pins a healthy spray of the deoxit, so it would have plenty of time to evaporate . I just went down to test the amp out... And so far so good! :banana: I'm going to "cold start" it ten times or so over the next day or two just to make...
  18. concertfiend

Tube ID help needed

I'm guessing quality control... I saw similar cheap Chinese 6J1's for a buck each on eBay. Unless there's something wrong with the preamp to where it would blow the tube ? But I'm assuming it had a leak because it died pretty fast and when I pulled it out of the socket it cracked by the base . I...
  19. concertfiend

Ok great, I'll try that out tomorrow. Obviously you know more than I, but I would think if it was the start up relay that it would start crackling in that channel as soon as the amp turned on? The relay acts as a sort of timed, normally open switch right ? I'm an apprentice electrician and...
  20. concertfiend

Are these the connector pins? Not exactly sure what I'm looking for, or what the differential pair is. If those are the pins, would deoxit be good for them? And can they be wiggled while the amp is on or are they carrying high current? Thanks for your help!
  21. concertfiend

Big Bertha's been better. The left channel crackles and pops on cold startup. Some are small, some are loud and my little test speakers really don't like it (they can't handle much power). I was hoping it might be the gain pot...Deoxit, spray, rotate the knob 20-30 times. Still happened...
  22. concertfiend

Newly acquired Pioneer PL-A35

I love PPL, Brewer and Shipley and other American roots bands on vinyl. Of course CSNY too, and had Jackson Browne and the Cougar going today too before switching over to Santana. But PPL "Bustin Out" was much clearer than I remember ...the cymbals rang out clear as a bell and the harmonies were...
  23. concertfiend

Amazed by the sound quality of a 1974 R77S Scott Receiver, untouched,

Sound Dr is where I bought my first stereo when I moved here , an Akai integrated amp with matching tuner and deck. But closer to you is Dr. Dan in Littleton . He does quality work, restored my Scott tube amp for the previous owner right before I bought it and it sounds fantastic. Read his...
  24. concertfiend

Tube ID help needed

Hi all, I wanted to set my lady up with a little system of her own. She's no audiophile but I wanted it to be decent but convenient. I got one of those cheap Nobsound /Douk Audio Bluetooth tube preamps off eBay...and one of the tubes died pretty quickly. I'm trying to find a replacement but I...
  25. concertfiend

Newly acquired Pioneer PL-A35

It sure is pretty! I love wood plinths and cases . And the Stanton cartridge is pretty incredible sounding , I can see why it was the "calibration standard". ..hooked up to Scott and Altecs, I've never had the pleasure of listening to vinyl that sounded this good for extended periods. Was...
Back
Top Bottom