Search results

1. S

Enlighten me, please...

I am a big fan of Classic Rock. I listen to my JBL 4312G's during regular listening sessions at about 80dB. If I, for some reason, must turn it down to 70dB or so I kick in my Schitt Loki to tickle the loudness (FM curve) up a little. Works great for me!
  2. S

Anti skate apparently not connected

I don't use anti-skate, but my cartridge tracks at 4g on my Bokrand AS-309 tonearm. I've found that low compliance cartridges on medium to heavy arms don't seem to need it!
  3. S

Wanting to try JBLs - suggestions please!

4312G's work great in my small (13'x12') room powered by a 100wpc Cronus Magnum. Some might say that they're too large for the room, but I love the sound, the price can't be beat and because they're front ported, they're not difficult to position properly in most rooms. Of course, they require...
  4. S

Wanting to try JBLs - suggestions please!

4367's in a 15'x14' room? Quite a bit overboard, IMHO. I'm listening to the 'lowly' 4312G's in my 12'x13' room. I applaud you if you can make those 4367's work in that room. I wish I could.
  5. S

Which turntable to keep

Keep the Garrard. It will appreciate in value as the years go by. I can't say the same for the others mentioned. And (imo) nothing beats a heavy idler drive 'table. I've owned several 'tables over the years, but the keeper has always been my 301. Not much different than your 401. I also have a...
  6. S

Poll: What type of Phono Preamp do you use ?

Please excuse my screw-up. My answer should ave been - an authentic EAR 834P
  7. S

Bose 901's Rule!

My experience? I bought a new pair of the first series 901's along with a Macintosh C28 preamp and 2105 power amp from a local dealer. I had to take the amp back to the dealer after about a month when it blew a channel. The dealer had it about two weeks, then told me it was fixed. About three...
  8. S

Anybody ever heard of Korvette speakers?

I remember an EJ Korvettes located in Greenbelt (IIRC) while I was attending the U of MD. Fantastic record department. I spent lots of bucks there.
  9. S

Andrew Jones joins team Mofi

Hired gun, but nothing wrong with that in todays circumstances. I hope they have him design a reasonably priced full-range (or at least almost full range) speaker system as opposed to some "polite" mini-monitor that many reviewers love but won't go loud or low enough for folks who don't live in...
  10. S

Speakers for Metal…

He likes too many things.
  11. S

Cartridge for sampling with 1210gr

I'll also second the AT cartridges mentioned above. I dislike the 2M series of cartridges, but I really like some of the other Ortofon cartridges - in particular the SPU. Not recommending that for your purposes, though. But if you believe that you might tax the stylus/cantilever with a lot of...
  12. S

What Is The Lightest SME Style Headshell Available?

I have two SME lookalikes that I purchased on e-bay a few years ago. One weighs 5g, while the other 7.62g. While I can't tell you more about their origin, I can tell you that the lighter of the two has two small holes in its top face located just above the cartridge screw slots and features...
  13. S

New cartridge questions:

I use the same mechanical clicker (above) only I give it one click for every LP side I play. Allows for 20min. per side. Same as above, just different math :beerchug: My TT uses an SME-style detachable headshell so I can use a different stylus timer for each cartridge. I've found this method...
  14. S

Inserting a Schiit Loki Mini +

I've already got all of the "tube goodness" that I need ;) I'm running my vinyl from a Garrard 301 and an SPU #1S through a Cinemag Sky 40 SUT into an EAR 834P tubed phono stage, then into a Cronus Magnum integrated (the one with KT120 output tubes) driving a pair of JBL 4312G Control Monitors...
  15. S

My new Loki is in the clutches of the USPS. I will certainly post my thoughts on it after it gets into my hot little hands and I get it set up. :biggrin:
  16. S

Speakers for Metal…

I'm not what most would label a "metalhead", I'm a classic rock fan. But I'm not prejudiced - I've got a couple of metal head friends who both swear by Cerwin Vega. While it's true that "a good speaker should be able to do justice to whatever type of music you throw at it" I'll have to somewhat...
  17. S

I'm running an SPU#1S or a ZU DL-103 into one of my SUT's (an Auditorium 23 for the ZU or a Cinemag Sky 40 for the SPU. The output(s) are then routed to the MM input of my EAR 834P phono stage and from there into an AUX. input on my Rogue Cronus Magnum integrated. Everything I know tells me...
  18. S

I'm in a similar situation. I'm using a tubed integrated with no bass, treble, or loudness controls. Just a balance knob, and I suppose that I should be happy that I have that. I love the way my system sounds (just vinyl for now) but it lacks the loudness controlled boost at low volumes that I...
  19. S

Thorens TD-124 coming back from the shop!

Good for you :beerchug: It was about five years ago that I completed my 301 rebuild. Did everything I could do for myself (before retirement I was a journeyman machinist and prior to that I was an ASE Certified Master Mechanic), but some things had to go out for sublet. (Accoustand completely...
  20. S

Thorens TD-124 coming back from the shop!

Congrats! I'm positive that you'll enjoy every minute you own it. I completed my resto work on a 301 several years ago. It took a while and there were some minor frustrations, but the result has been excellent. My next acquisition will be a 124, but my age is catching up to me so I'll most...
  21. S

Would you spend $2800 on a cartridge ?

"What if?" Gimme an effin' break.
  22. S

I would like to be able to "try" that Koetsu, but what would I do if I didn't like it in my system? Surely, they're not going to allow a 30-day "trial" with full right of return on any cartridge, let alone one with the Koetsu Rosewood Signature's price tag. Then, there would be the question of...
  23. S

Who here owns their ultimate/dream/"grail" turntable and what is it?

Sorry, no pics. I don't even have an I-phone, nor do I participate in social media. Not really anti-social, just old and reactionary ;) But if you're ever in Western Colorado just PM me, I'll provide contact info so you can visit and I'd be glad to demo it for you.
  24. S

Nothing wrong with buying a $2,800 cartridge if you desire and can afford one. Not to brag, but I can afford to buy one. But I won't 'cause I don't want one. SPU's and DL-103's are more my speed :cool:
Back
Top Bottom