Search results

1. T

Russian K40Y-9 PIO vs K42Y-2 Caps, any difference?

Soviet K40Y-9 are PIO caps that use foil. They are not metallized pio Soviet K42Y-2 are metalized PIO Sorry to post in an old thread. But it was pointed out other forums are coming to this thread for reference. With the popularity of the K40Y-9 I wanted to post this for those that come across...
  2. T

Modern Tung-Sol 7581a Tubes

Yes, I have tried 3 of the TS variants you mention. The 6L6G, 6L6GC-STR, and obviously the 7581a I started this thread about. All three are remarkable tubes. For decades I’ve been a “Vintage NOS Only” guy when it came to tubes. Current production TS has changed that for me. While I still love...
  3. T

First DAC, a bit of a disappointment

@Cylontymany Yeah, the Tesla has a number of variations. I’ve tried 4 different that I own. I’m pretty critical/anal when it comes to tubes. Some may say “crazy”. Lol Personally the best I’ve found is an ‘O’ getter, date code 1967. I really enjoy it, and am using that right now. Ive also got a...
  4. T

Welp....yeah, I agree with @SWL3600 here. This certainly is hilarious! Just so much fail in one paragraph. Honestly....I’m almost impressed! Lol
  5. T

Well, it’s been nearly a year sense my earlier post(a few up this page) and I’m still in love with the Maverick DAC’s. The D1+ May be the best deal in all of HiFi! DAC’d at least. Well, I went the distance on my D1+. I’m a BIG tube guy. So I’ve got about 12 different tubes. Basically all that...
  6. T

@fredgarvin interesting. I’m surprised the JJ’s came out on top for you...not that I’m questioning/doubting you. Just haven’t had much luck with any JJ output tube. Though to be fair, I’ve only tried a few. Cool how we have som many “flavors” to choose from right now. I suppose some might have...
  7. T

@Brice thanks for the Heads Up on the KT66’s! They’ve been on my radar. Certainly wanna try em. If they sound half as cool as they look, that’d be quite cool! Also looking at a quad of Winged-C 6L6GC’s. Sure read a lot of good about those! Bet those MC-30’s were the cats meow with the Coke...
  8. T

So I recently purchased a Quad of Tung-Sol 7581a tubes. After seeing a few glowing reviews, from “so-called” modern tube “haters”. I figured for the cheap price....why not? I’m a Big 6L6 amp guy. So I had plenty of amps to try them in. I’m usually a Vintage NOS tube guy only, if I’m buying...
  9. T

Stromberg Carlson ASR-444 - Studio 60 series. WOW

Well, this will probably be my last post for this thread, unless people have further comments/questions. I’ve got about 100 hours on the newest parts I installed. I finished all the parts under the ‘tone control cover’, up top. Which made a really nice difference. I used a mix of orange drop...
  10. T

@gadget73 Touché! Yeah, didn’t mean to make it sound like S-C’s wiring approach wasn’t very solid. The fact they used Star Grounding and Shielded Signal Wire really surprised me when I first saw it. I get a little carried away sometimes. Like ya said, not like I would see it while listening...
  11. T

Agreed @gadget73 ! With the huge selection of components we have today. I just love trying them all! Even if some people don’t hear a difference. It’s worth it to me for the quality alone. I really kinda went bonkers on this 444. I’d really like to replace the internal wiring, but as I’m sure...
  12. T

Ok, back with another update. Might be talking to myself at this point, however, perhaps this thread will help someone down the line...... Ok, so after replacing all the passive components “under the hood”, I moved onto the Tone Controls. Man, it’s even tighter in there than under. I’ve got...
  13. T

Back with another update... So I went ahead and re-capped and replaced all the Resistors on the 12AX7’s for the Phono. I used the OD’s and managed to shoehorn the 600v version in there, also some IC yellow films as well, used 1% Metal Films for Resistors.(they’re are a few metal oxides where I...
  14. T

Back with another ASR-444 update. Well, this amp just keep getting tastier and tastier! Not sure if it’s the caps “breaking” in, if you believe in that, or if it’s just me settling into the sound. TBH, I don’t really care. This 444 is now my favorite amp I own, out of about 50, SS and Valve. SET...
  15. T

@gadget73 I also meant to ask... What were your thoughts once you changed the PEC’s? Did it help the Phono gain? Overall sound? Did you use NOS PEC’s or make an equivalent? Any and all advice on this part is gladly accepted and appreciated. Thanks again!
  16. T

[ @Tom Bavis .....Yeah, that’s kinda what I thought. Figured it was “wishful thinking” that those Bumble Bee’s would be able to stay. I’ve got caps here and ready to go. I’ll install them. Not going to question the “Stromberg Carlson Swami” Lol Thx again for all your work on that website...
  17. T

Ok, well. After a full night (13 hours of listening to the ASR-444), I’m more in love than ever! I tried 5 different 7027a/6L6GC quads last night. Giving each plenty of time to warm-up and settle in. They were the following: RCA 7027a’s that came with it - just perfect tubes for this amp...
  18. T

You sir are correct! That extra “cooling” pin sure can throw a monkey wrench into everything. Unless however your 6L6 amp has sockets wired for both, like say the McIntosh MC240. However, if it’s not printed on the chassis, make sure and double check everyone. This nice thing is, because I have...
  19. T

Hello again fellow Stromberg Carlson fans! Well, I’ve got to say. This ASR-444 is one of the best tube amps my ears have ever heard. Like I previously mentioned, I picked it up cheap and in rough shape. After a typical cleaning of all the pots/switches and all the inputs. I plugged her into my...
  20. T

@gadget73 Thanks for the feedback! My initial thought was the “RCA RIAA” Phono circuit. Think I’ll take that approach. Always wanted to check that circuit out anyway. Listening to the 444 right now. Decided to throw a spare Quad of RCA 6L6 Black Plates In, while it sounded killer. I felt it...
  21. T

Wow Tom! That MadeinRochester site sure is really cool! Thanks so much for the heads up about it, and your work on it! You’ve got some really cool SC gear on there! I really like the some of older SC amps you have on the site, got a great mid century Industrial look, I like and bet they sound...
  22. T

Yeah, think I may go the “shotgun” route myself, on both the caps and resistors. Why chance it. I’d like this to be reliable as a daily driver for a second/third system. While it’s certainly not a “pretty” piece of equipment. Mine isn’t too bad. Gold and white aren’t really my first choice...
  23. T

So I’ve read a bit about Stromberg Carlson in the past. Apparently they were a formidable force in the early HiFi days.(1930’s-early 60’s). Though I’d never stumbled across one of their units before. Well I recently was GIVEN an ASR-444, along with a few other tube amps and about 1000 tubes...
  24. T

Converting a Fisher X-10 to Bozak B-401 Rhapsody

@drbiggles , that’s EXACTLY the answer I was looking for! I love tweaking these Bozaks, but I’m ready to just listen and enjoy for awhile. This winter will have plenty Bozak “tweak time” when I restore the B4005 Symphonies! Which on another note, oddly enough I received a phone call today, from...
  25. T

Converting a Fisher X-10 to Bozak B-401 Rhapsody

Hey @drbiggles , man, sure hope you feel better soon Bud! No worries, obvioously. I’ll figure it out. You, as well as Retrovert have been BEYOND helpful to me, and my Bozak journey. Hope ya feel better Bud! Rock on, Indeed! Again, your help has been indespensible. Get some rest my man. Many...
Back
Top Bottom