Search results

1. cpt_paranoia

Whoops. CDDB fail

Back up before embarking on such a big change...
  2. cpt_paranoia

Whoops. CDDB fail

A quick google leaves me with the impression that iTunes doesn't support retrieving metadata for incompletely tagged files. It does remind me that disabling automatic organisation is a wise move, as iTunes can completely screw that up... Some third party programs pop up; iMusic, TidyMyMusic and...
  3. cpt_paranoia

Installed Daphile last night

I look forward to hearing your longer-term experience, then. Not that I've had too much trouble getting pCP or DietPi going; the biggest learning curve was getting LMS set up; not exactly hard, but there are a lot of settings, as it's very configurable. I have a thread on LMS 'glitches'...
  4. cpt_paranoia

Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

Your humour sensor needs recalibrating, I think... If you're going to get all PC, then I would remind you that you could be a woman, and have a wife...
  5. cpt_paranoia

Have you found any significant benefits of Daphile over, say, LMS under piCorePlayer or DietPi/x64? After all, it's based on a cut down Linux and LMS.
  6. cpt_paranoia

Understood. There's no 'right' or 'wrong' in this. Well, entirely flat structures wouldn't be sensible, for a number of reasons... In Windows, you will eventually run into the 32K items per folder limit... If you have more than 32K albums, AlbumArtist/Album will help you. I only have 6500...
  7. cpt_paranoia

Just how many levels of DACs are there?? (Help me to get my next DAC)

Well, I'm sure every 'audiophile DAC' manufacturer will tell you theirs take it to another level.... Diminishing returns, as with all audio (and most things in life). Think a logarithmic curve of cost vs performance.
  8. cpt_paranoia

Whoops. CDDB fail

Most media manager/player apps will add metadata. What tool are you currently using to play music? I'm sure it will add metadata. I currently use MusicBee (on PC). All you need is the basic metadata: AlbumArtist, Album. <right-click>Auto-tag by Album Some people like MP3Tag. I don't seem to...
  9. cpt_paranoia

Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

You don't want the kids or the wife to be in control, do you...?
  10. cpt_paranoia

LMS will index using metadata, so the physical file structure is largely immaterial. Unless you only ever access via 'Music Folder' (physical file structure). If you access via 'Album Artists' or 'Albums' logical/metadata views, it will present a hierarchy identical to the default Daphile...
  11. cpt_paranoia

Have an odd CD player right channel issue

Plug something else into the receiver, in the ports you're using for the CDP. Divide & conquer.
  12. cpt_paranoia

Any decent media manager will reorganise files in whatever structure you want, using metadata tags to create the path names. Likewise, if you're compressing your library for mobile use (please tell me you're ripping lossless...), the compression utility should also be able to create whatever...
  13. cpt_paranoia

Have an odd CD player right channel issue

If mechanical wiggling temporarily restores audio, then it is almost certainly another solder or connection problem, so don't start worrying about faulty ICs. Have a close look at all the joints and discretes in the signal path. Try pressing on the PCB, and gently tapping the discretes to force...
  14. cpt_paranoia

How to Correct "Remastered" for earbuds, midrange-less, horrible EQ

Oh, I understood. I was just trying to point out the remastering might actually be beneficial for those (i.e. remastering isn't uniformly a bad thing). Done sympathetically, though, and not loudness wars/earbud bias.
  15. cpt_paranoia

IMF owners thread!

I'm no IMF expert, but the woofer doesn't appear to fit the cutout, and the midrange drivers seem too big; overlapping the woofer surround. Doesn't look original to me. The surface of the midrange cone also looks weird; irregular reflections.
  16. cpt_paranoia

Sorry, I can't help you there... Rip those CDs, then... ps. Leave the mastering, even for those early CDs you said sounded 'ice-picky'...? Remastering is a double-edged sword... Some are better (e.g. the Steven Wilson efforts), but the loudness wars and earbud bias are tragedies; the music...
  17. cpt_paranoia

My first external DAC - Semibreve DA10S Stereo Audio Decoder

USB also gives the opportunity for using a destination-clocked interface (often called 'asynchronous USB'), where the DAC clock is the timing master, and the USB interface requests packets from the source (slave). This gives the potential for the cleanest possible DAC clock, minimising jitter...
  18. cpt_paranoia

I'm talking about the technical aspects of digital representation, not how that representation is exploited by recordings. Spotify maxes out at 320kbps MP3, 44k1 Sa/s, 16-bit. Lossy means information has been discarded, and the replay of the MP3 file is done by reconstructing an approximation...
  19. cpt_paranoia

Well, Spotify is lossy, relatively low quality. Other services (Qobuz, Amazon, Tidal, Deezer, etc) offer lossless (CD quality or better) services. All have fairly generous trial periods; give them a go. The remastering problem is somewhat endemic, both in CDs since the early 90s, and on more...
  20. cpt_paranoia

Technics SL-P600C cd changer (1987) pix here, and SM needed

Looks like some are using Vout (with internal I/V conversion stage), some are using Iout, and an external I/V conversion (the last, JVC, example).
  21. cpt_paranoia

Using Wiim Pro Plus timer to trigger other devices

That's a very good question... If I were Wiim, I would have added a 'manual override' on the Trigger Out, within the Wiim app. If that doesn't already exist, I would put in a feature request; it's a very good one, that should be fairly easy to implement.
  22. cpt_paranoia

My first external DAC - Semibreve DA10S Stereo Audio Decoder

Usually because of the limited bandwidth of the TOSlink optical receiver.
  23. cpt_paranoia

analog vs digital

That's true. But this only happens at a SNR where you would be covering your ears in an analogue system... Actually, it's not quite 'all or nothing'. Raw BER rises as you drop off the knee of the error curve. The error correction will attempt to recover, but there comes a point where the error...
  24. cpt_paranoia

Using Wiim Pro Plus timer to trigger other devices

For the same reason as the OP...? Maybe it doesn't have a timer function, either... You seemed to be bemoaning the 'lack of facilities' of the $200 Wiim. I was just trying to point out that more expensive devices don't even provide the facilities of the Wiim... Your post also added nothing...
  25. cpt_paranoia

Girls on LP cover - REDUX

She seems quite angry about something... Maybe she is demanding someone bring her a beer. Or even a Budweiser... Or maybe someone did bring her a Budweiser...
Back
Top Bottom