Search results

1. cpt_paranoia

Why I don't bother with genre...

When I ripped my CD collection back in 2010, and with all subsequent purchase rips, I decided to be very minimal with sub-genre classification; it was just too hard to decide, and I didn't really understand all the weird names I sometimes encountered. It was hard enough deciding between Rock and...
  2. cpt_paranoia

'Mend my CD player' threads

It struck me recently that there are many threads in the Digital sources sub-forum, about broken CD players, and how to fix them. Now, whilst CD players are indeed Digital Sources (when working...), it strikes me that this sort of thread really belongs in the DIY sub-forum, which is much more...
  3. cpt_paranoia

Rogers LS1 (mk2?)

Anyone know anything about these speakers? Google is not very forthcoming apart from a few reviews. Rogers LS1. Small, bookshelf, 2-way reflex monitor. Bass/mid looks a bit like like a B110, but that had a lot of imitators... Treble driver looks like those used on many speakers, reports...
  4. cpt_paranoia

Digital Streamers & Audio Quality

The following are some thoughts on the factors that might affect the audio quality of a digital-only streaming system. Firstly, we need to be clear of the functions that a digital streamer performs: network interface to receive the stream using one of a number of protocols (e.g. DLNA, CCA...
  5. cpt_paranoia

LMS UPnP Bridge broken?

Frustrating day, trying to get the LMS UPnP Bridge plugin to work again. Installed an update (2.1.2), and it now refuses point blank to play to my DLNA devices. That device works perfectly with an LMS instance I haven't updated. I've tried to log in to the Squeezebox forums, but don't seem to...
  6. cpt_paranoia

Repurposing Android Media Boxes

I have a number of old Android media boxes. They were cheap at the time, but never received any Android updates, so they are largely obsolete. I recently picked up another one for £3 in a charity shop... They have a reasonable processor, Ethernet, WiFi, HDMI out, multiple USB ports, a uSD slot...
  7. cpt_paranoia

LMS artwork source

Just noticed that my LMS server is not displaying the album artwork (folder.jpg in each album folder) from my media library. All other tools are happy to use this (MediaMonkey, MusicBee, BubbleUPnP). I do have the 'Music & Artist Information' plugin enabled, but I think I've got it set to use...
  8. cpt_paranoia

Technology troubles...

I went away for a few days, and, given the crazy energy prices at the moment, turned off a bunch of unnecessary electronics. Came back and noticed the microwave had reset (should have turned that off, too...). Must have been a power cut while I was away. Set the clock time, and thought nothing...
  9. cpt_paranoia

MusicBee vs MediaMonkey

Fired up MediaMonkey this evening, whilst on a Zoom call, to update its library. Also fired up MusicBee at the same time. MB does a re-scan at startup. Done in a matter of minutes. MM is user-initiated (in my setup). Has now been running for 1hr45m, and is less than half way though. Now I...
  10. cpt_paranoia

Problem: Reply to thread

In recent weeks, the mechanism for selecting a section of a post and hitting either +Quote or Reply seems to behave intermittently. When it fails to work, the selection & pop-up menu simply disappear, but no text is added to the edit box. Sometimes I can get it to work, by refreshing various...
  11. cpt_paranoia

Repurposing laptop as server

Having been given a couple of old HP ProBook 4330s laptops the other day, one in reasonable condition, one very worn, battered, with dead battery and optical drive, I loaded the newer one with a clean Win7 Pro 64 image, let it do all its updates, and then installed my usual set of utilities...
  12. cpt_paranoia

piCorePlayer & LMS on an RPi B+

Whilst I've had LMS running nicely on my little Atom/Win7 SBC for some time, I've been wanting to play with it running under piCorePlayer, if only to keep up with the Pi fun and games... Now, the only Pi I had to hand was a 2014 RPi 1 B+ v1.2 I bought some years ago. Plus a uSD card lying...
  13. cpt_paranoia

UPnP/DLNA Frustration

I've been running DLNA server and endpoints on my home network for a few years now. Whilst it has had its odd hiccups, it has mostly worked without issue. However, I have recently changed ISP, and their supplied router seems to have broken it. Sort of... I have a Denon N5 that I have streamed...
  14. cpt_paranoia

Deezer free three month FLAC trial

Just had the following advert pop up on my Facebook feed: https://www.deezer.com/en/offers/hifi I'm in the UK. Not sure if there are geographical restrictions to the offer.
  15. cpt_paranoia

New plaything required

I need a new plaything... I've ripped all my CDs, and have them all tagged, with nice artwork. I've ripped all my cassettes and vinyl with Audacity, and have them all tagged with artwork. I have all my music imported into MediaMonkey and MusicBee, on a number of computers; desktop, notebook and...
  16. cpt_paranoia

Exact Audio Copy - new version 1.4

Whilst setting up a laptop for a mate, I downloaded EAC, and, when I configured it, I discovered it now has a dual compression option, allowing you to create two compressed output files (e.g. FLAC and MP3) at the same time. I know this is playing catchup with other tools, but it's worth me...
  17. cpt_paranoia

Library autumn clean...

It's time to tidy up my media library, sorting out the new files I've added. I rip new CDs to a 'NewlyRipped folder, which used to allow me to run scripts to add track names, and sort out scanned artwork. Since I now use maetadata sources to fetch metadata and artwork, these steps are no longer...
  18. cpt_paranoia

CD error correction

Picked up a few CDs in a charity shop, and, unusually, I didn't check them. But they were 20p each... Went to rip them and found the copy of Michael Jackson 'Thriller' special edition was scratched to buggery. Surprisingly, all but one track (the title track) ripped with perfect AccurateRip...
  19. cpt_paranoia

Creative E-MU 0404 PCIe sound card

Any thoughts on this as a DAC and ADC? Anyone used it? Or use for its more musical applications? Dates to 2004, but apparently will run under Win7.
  20. cpt_paranoia

A CD Jukebox (a 25-year throwback...)

This comment on the Frox speaker system thread got me thinking about someting I played with about 25 years ago... As my CD collection started to grow in the early 90's, I started playing with ideas for building a CD jukebox. It got the the stage of having a detailed design for the storage and...
  21. cpt_paranoia

Metadata massaging

I started the process of ripping my CDs in 2010, before I got an internet connection. In order to get track metadata, I used a file of track titles and durations I'd created on an ancient Sinclair QL, going back to the start of my CD buying. I wrote some linux scripts to take a file of...
  22. cpt_paranoia

Corrosive glue...or leaked electrolyte?

I've noticed a bit of discussion in various threads about old glue going corrosive. For instance: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/from-yamaha-to-nad-to-whats-my-next-move.800504/ IME, the glue I've seen is fine, but what is corrosive is the leaked electrolyte from capacitors...
  23. cpt_paranoia

Spam pop-ups from AK?

I am getting spam pop-ups intercepting AK, every so often. The AK forum page is replaced by adverts for a genuine company. If I hit 'back' on these, it goes to a (almost certainly spurious) virus alert page. I never click on pop-ups warning of virus infection, because they are almost always...
Back
Top Bottom