Search results

1. TomB19

Polk RTi A9 - anyone upgrade the crossovers?

Warm up the flame throwers. :D My RTi A9 have beautiful spectral balance and massive power makes them bring the thunder but they are not as pleasant in the mid and high part of the spectrum as some other speakers I have. I won't bother to list the other speakers but a couple of them are...
  2. TomB19

MX-600 / MX-630 -> how similar sounding?

Has anyone compared the MX-600 and the MX-630? I would appreciate comments regarding SQ comparison. The schematics look nearly identical, right down to the components. I've only found a couple of variances on a quick scan. How similar do they sound?
  3. TomB19

I'm trying to find a FLAC copy of a Brazilian band. Any ideas?

I'm looking for a CD or FLAC download of a Brazilian band. I do not speak Spanish or Portugese. Any ideas on vendors for Brazilian music? It's not on HDTracks in any format. The album is available from 7digital in mp3 format. It is probably similar to CD quality but I'm kind of a FLAC snob...
  4. TomB19

3d printed TPU anti-vibe feet

As an experiment, I 3d printed some pads out of my softest TPU. I want to say shore 88 but my memory isn't great. I'm having problems after moving the system to a room with a sprung floor. It isn't ideal for a vinyl system. The pads are as squeezy as a slightly moist sponge. They can pinch...
  5. TomB19

Yamaha MX 600/800/1000 (and probably others) RCA repair part

I designed a part for the purpose of repairing RCA connectors on MX series amps. I have a couple of these amps where the ground sleeve has pulled off the RCA jack when I pulled the RCA cable. This is working fine as a repair part. Print in ABS to minimize creep, turn off the fan, and print as...
  6. TomB19

Would appreciate help identifying these vintage speakers

Sorry for the frivolity of this post. A friend and I are musing over the brand/model of these speakers from the 1978 film, "FM". Thank you!
  7. TomB19

Resistor load Q

I picked up a couple of 200W, 8ohm resistors from eBay, several years ago. These resistors predate my ownership of an MX-1000. I thought they would be sufficient. At the time, I tossed them in the parts bin and didn't look at them until a couple of days ago. One is about 8.4 ohm. The other...
  8. TomB19

Soldering sub board connectors on MX series

I'm currently working on an MX-800. I unsoldered the sub-circuit boards from the main board in order to recap. It wasn't a big chore with a Hakko 301 desoldering iron. It sucked out about three quarters of a pound of solder and performed brilliantly. The recap went well, as expected, but my...
  9. TomB19

Cap question: Nichicon MUSE 1000uF 100v availability

I have an MX-800 open and would like to replace a pair of 1000uF 100v caps (Nichicon MUSE). I can't find anything close at Nichicon or Mouser. For what it's worth, I try to replace like for like but I'm not adverse to going to a different brand or series. Any help or ideas would be really...
  10. TomB19

Enjoying my recently restored MCS 6700

It needed a transistor and new caps. Now runs like a champ. For such a cheap turntable, I'm pretty happy with it. The cartridge is a Shure M75-6S that isn't in great shape. I've never been a fan of spherical stylus so I have an N75ED stylus on order.
  11. TomB19

Oddly good bass demo

My wife has a copy of Nina's Live in Germany from 2010. I have no idea where she got it. Anyway, I just recapped a DVD player and was testing out. She wanted to hear it. The keyboardist put a bust of Hitler on the low A key at the start of the song and left it there for most of the song...
  12. TomB19

DIY binding post mounts for MX series amps

I had a bit of time to kill so I designed a mount to upgrade binding posts. It didn't take long. The binding posts seem decent enough quality. They come from a bay area auction. The mount is designed to locate in the elongated cut-outs in the chassis and use original screws. Pretty simple...
  13. TomB19

TomB DIY audio rack

I've seen a lot of fantastic DIY equipment racks on AK, over the years. This is mine. It's a small twist on the ready rod shelf idea. The shelves are bamboo countertop (1 1/2" thick) and the all-thread is 3/4". I want to bring about a dozen components online so I needed a couple of decent...
  14. TomB19

I'm looking for firmware upgrade for Denon AVR-3806

There was a firmware upgrade floating around for the AVR-3806. Some versions of the AVR cannot decode PCM 7.1. I need 7.1 for a linux/Raspberry Pi 4b based HTPC that can only output 7.1 or 2.0. There is a file floating around, called "Firmware_3806.rar' that is said to have this firmware in...
  15. TomB19

What do you do with CDs after you've ripped them?

I'm an older man with roughly 1200 CDs in big packing boxes in the basement. We are now considering moving into a condo. It will be a huge downsizing. I'll have to give up a couple of my stereos and probably trim down the home theater system. I've always considered physical media to be proof...
  16. TomB19

C-80 vs CX-A5000/5100/5200 for stereo

I understand I'm comparing apples to kitten, four nickels, and a burrito wrapper but my system currently uses a Denon AVR for HT and a C-80 for 2 channel. It's complex and my wife refuses to touch it. That's not a bad thing but I'd like to improve her life a bit. I read a review that said the...
  17. TomB19

Question about Marantz SD9000

There are several posts on the SD9000 in here, so I know there are a few around. Can someone please describe the sound? I'm guessing it's pretty good at standard speed with Dolby B NR but obviously not as good a deck with C and HX Pro. I've never been a big fan of DBX but I can see why some...
  18. TomB19

What has come of the Apollo Masters fire?

Have small shops been able to ramp to fill the gap? Is the industry moving toward metal masters? I'm curious to know if the future of vinyl is safe and how the industry is adapting, if anyone knows. Thanks!
  19. TomB19

Q about Technics SL-1950 operation

How does the SL-1950 handle the repeat selector when using the stacking spindle? Play the stack first, then repeat the final disk? Repeat each disk in the stack the requested number of times? Play the stack, then repeat the entire stack? :D
  20. TomB19

Does anyone else struggle with SQ on Moondrop Starfields?

I picked up a set of Starfields and they have taken me on the most amazing journey.... but, they should bloody awful on one of my cell phones. This same phone sounds excellent with SoundMagic E10. On my other cell phone and from my Topping A50, they are a delight. I just ordered an ES100...
  21. TomB19

Need a Black Eyed Peas expert

I recently picked up a the Elephunk CD by Black Eyed Peas CD. Specifically, I wanted the song "Let's Get it Started". The CD cover shows "Let's Get it Started" but the song is "Let's Get Retarded". Can someone draw me a map to which CD / pressing I need to find to get the original, "Let's Get...
  22. TomB19

Can someone point me in the direction of a music download service?

I'm looking for an album that isn't available on HDTracks.com. Amazon has it on CD but I would rather download it, if I can get it as a FLAC. 16/44.1 is fine. It's a CD from the 90s, and not particularly popular at that, so I might find it at a used record store but I don't want to make it my...
  23. TomB19

Looking for an amplifier for a Raspberry Pi

This is the wrong forum and I apologize but I suspect the audience I'm looking for is in here. I have a few systems built on Pi 4 computers with Volumio. Many bad things have been said about the onboard headphone amplifier but it sounds excellent to me. It is easily the equal of my Topping...
  24. TomB19

Building a foot for an MCS 6700

I picked up a three legged MCS 6700, thinking it would be fun to build some feet. I'm sharing this, in case someone finds it interesting. The most attractive design, to my eye, strays from the original a little bit. I'm good with that, as I'm not trying to restore this table with faithful...
  25. TomB19

How vinyl records are made (a couple of YouTube gems)

I'm not 100% sure this is the correct forum for this but I believe it to be, due to the interest group. I've been thinking of building a record lathe and stumbled across this gem. It's old, under-produced, and entirely wooden but it has most of the detail of a master/stamping run. It's a...
Back
Top Bottom