Search results

1. Brent71

Dunlavy Audio Labs Archive - From the mind of a "Legend"!

They must be prototypes, or something built with leftover parts, because I've never seen a DAL speaker with Morel drivers, except for the early SC-IVs that had Morel woofers. Those were changed about a year into production to Vifa woofers. edit: From what I remember, the Morel MW 1076 is the...
  2. Brent71

Not a clue. I pulled 6 drivers out of my first pair of SC-V and none of them had numbers written on them like that. It could be something as simple as how they were cataloged into their computer records, or it could be something else entirely. I'd be curious to know.
  3. Brent71

Congrats on the new speakers. I started with a pair of SC-III, and even those needed help in the bottom-end, so I guarantee your smaller SC-II.A would benefit. I used a pair of B&W ASW600 subs and they did a nice job. I'm not sure how to interpret the serial numbers because all 4 pairs of mine...
  4. Brent71

Previous post should say Feb '22. ‍:crazy:
  5. Brent71

Which pair? ;) I have two pairs, one with dome upper-mids and the 2nd pair with cone upper-mids. The first pair which have the dome upper-mids arrived with dead tweeters and upper-mids so I had to buy replacements from Madisound. Even though they sounded great once I got them up and running, it...
  6. Brent71

4 ohm speaker shows as 6 ohms with multimeter

One of the wires on one of the woofers came loose, so he was only measuring one woofer and tweeter at the binding posts. That would definitely make the difference.
  7. Brent71

4 ohm speaker shows as 6 ohms with multimeter

Dunlavys don't have a big sweet-spot, and that's due to their design, but sit in the sweet-spot and they're incredible. John was really big on getting the beam width to approximate as close as possible the aggregate of all the instruments he measured. Too wide of beam width introduces it's own...
  8. Brent71

The rarest speakers you own or have owned?

Dunlavy SC-V. The IVs are much more common, but the Vs are a big improvement over the IVs John Dunlavy claimed they were the most accurate speakers he ever built, and after owning pairs of both, I can understand why he said that about the Vs. They're huge, heavy, and kinda plain looking, but...
  9. Brent71

Vampire Wire out of Business

It looks like Parts Connexion has bought all the inventory and is selling it off. I have a few pairs of Vampire CC and SC RCA cables that I bought probably 20 or more years ago and have been very happy with them. https://www.vampirewire.com/
  10. Brent71

You'd have to measure it because JD tweaked every crossover while making real-time measurements for that particular speaker. That's why there's no schematics for Dunlavy speakers.
  11. Brent71

Dunlavy SCII $850 - opinions?

You are incorrect about them being difficult to drive. John Dunlavy took great care in designing speakers and crossovers, and they have very flat impedance curves and very low phase angle. Except for being nominal 4 ohm-rated, they're very easy to drive with any decent solid state amp. I own 4...
  12. Brent71

I've driven my SC-IVs and SC-Vs with a Wyred 4 Sound ST-1000 mk II amp and it a great job. Sounds incredible, small, efficient, and tons of power.
  13. Brent71

I know that baco99 has done a couple pairs, I think IVs and VIs. I was recently picking his brain about modding my Vs. I haven't done anything to mine yet, but would like to in the near future. There's so many choices for caps and resistors it's hard to make a decision on what to use.
  14. Brent71

How to clean old Altec 515B woofer cones?

I'm looking for some advice on how to properly clean the cones on a pair of Altec 515B woofers. The woofers have a decent coating of dust on the bottom half of the cones, and dad and I are looking for the best way to clean them without damaging or discoloring the cones. Never been around any...
  15. Brent71

Time for me to add something I haven't seen yet in this thread, the SC-V review from Audio, March 1999.
  16. Brent71

The new drivers showed up on Tuesday, I got them installed on Wednesday morning. and everything worked. I didn't get them into position until last evening and I've been listening on and off ever since. I'm amazed at how great these sound! I thought the IVs were excellent, which they are, but the...
  17. Brent71

Dunlavy SC-V replacement Vifa dome mid drivers (Vifa D75MX-31-08?)

The new drivers arrived yesterday, I got them installed this morning, and they sound good. They're no into position yet, moving things around in the living room is my next project.
  18. Brent71

Yes, they're 4-way speakers with first-order crossovers. I also have a pair of SC-IVs and SC-IIIs (3-way) and I've played the IVs a couple of times with peaks around 110 dB (for one song) without issue, which far louder than I normally listen, even when turned up. If a 3-way system can play that...
  19. Brent71

All 4 mids, and both tweeters! To me it says they were fried from being overpowered, but previous owner swears they worked when put into storage a year ago. I don't detect any odor of anything burnt, but since the voice coils are so small on the mids and tweets that might not mean anything...
  20. Brent71

Mice? That stinks! Were you able to get them back up and running? Since these are sealed enclosures there's no way for anything to get inside them. I just can't wrap my head around how storing them in an unheated garage would cause 4 mids and 2 tweeters to fail. To me it screams they were blown...
  21. Brent71

Unfortunately it's all 4 that need replaced, so there's really nothing left to match. My choice is 4 new -41 drivers, or grabbing 2 new/2 used -31 versions that are old stock. I don't know what caused the drivers to fail, they were this way when I went to test them the first time. Seller claims...
  22. Brent71

Madisound recommends replacing with the newer D75MX-41-08 drivers.
  23. Brent71

You're the second person to mention that the -41-08 should be fine. I did find a post on GearSlutz though that said the -31-08 was a little darker sounding. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=13624777&postcount=47 I'm hoping Madisound gets back to me tomorrow and lets me know what...
  24. Brent71

I replied to your comment in that thread. That's a newer version, but different specs and response. If I could measure and tweak crossovers like John did it might be a better driver to use, but I have no way to do that. =/
  25. Brent71

How could he not know if he listened to them, it's immediately obvious. The only possible explanation is somebody messed with his stereo before they were crated and blew them up, but I'm guessing the odds of that are low.
Back
Top Bottom