Search results

1. B

First home set up need helpppp

If you like the Bose 901 series IIs, you’d probably prefer the later series (III, IV, V, or VI). They got better and more efficient. You might find a series VI for $300. Regarding amps/receivers: with 901s, more power is better. You’ll need a tape monitor.
  2. B

If you get the 901s, make sure they come with the working Bose Series II Active Equalizer.
  3. B

Can an Amplifier make this huge difference in sound?

Or if your speakers are unable to reveal the differences between/among the amplifiers.
  4. B

Holy Grail Turntables

There was an AK thread, in which I participated, which discussed the amount of money each of us has invested in his/her current system. I started doing the sobering math—but wondered how/if/when to calculate all that went into getting that current system: buying and selling; making sideways or...
  5. B

Holy Grail Turntables

6. B

I can only recount MY experiences with amplifiers. I’ve had six different McIntosh amplifiers, both new and vintage; and both tube and SS, in my current system, which has Klipschorns. In my experience, Klipschorns are very temperamental and revealing. If anything, they amplify every change and...
  7. B

My sonic temple...new listening space under construction

Please post an update regarding your current setup and where you are with the space/stereo. Thanks.
  8. B

JBLs.
  9. B

What vintage speakers are you using with your Marantz receiver?

Nice cabinet. Congrats. And better than what Marantz offered then. I had one of their walnut cabinets from that period for an integrated amp. It wasn’t even a cabinet but two sides and a thin top.
  10. B

The Bose 301 another opinion.

^^^ @MaxP I bought a 40-year-old Jaguar. Absolutely sucked as a combine on my farm. Jaguar: They just plain suck…Masters of marketing. Whatever. I owned two pair of (new) 901IVs. They were by no means perfect. But they did what they did well. And powered by 420WPC, they could rock and satisfy...
  11. B

When my brother bought his first Rolex, my other brother’s wife looked at it and asked him if it was real. He handed it to her. She looked it over and said, “It’s definitely real. But it’s the least expensive model they make.” Ain’t family grand?
  12. B

Ever turned 100,000 miles over on a Car

I guess it gets into the weeds regarding what’s maintenance and what’s a repair. Is replacing an exhaust system, starter, rotor, oil pump same as replacing batteries, belts, and tires? Is a complete engine rebuild (new gears, etc.) same as an oil change? IDK. I’m still impressed. Just had to...
  13. B

Re: Another round of Rolex bashing… I don’t own a Rolex, but I know plenty of people who love them. As has been pointed out here by other AK contributors regarding expensive vs. much less expensive timepieces (or anything else, including audio equipment/jewelry, for that matter), one less...
  14. B

Ever turned 100,000 miles over on a Car

I read an article about a Volvo owner. He bought the car new in the 1960s. He and his car were featured because the Volvo had hit 1,000,000 miles. His “secret?” he was asked. He said he never ever let anyone else drive his car. I think he also did all of the maintenance on it himself.
  15. B

Thorens TD-124 DD VS. Classic TD-124

Andy—Please weigh in with your experiences of either/both (and especially compared to a refurbished 301^^^—which would probably be my first choice). When I discussed buying a refurbished 124 from someone who makes his living refurbishing 124s and 301s, he said he could not honestly recommend...
  16. B

Thorens TD-124 DD VS. Classic TD-124

I’m interest to hear from anyone who owns or has auditioned the new Thorens TD-124 DD—especially from those who own or who are very familiar with a refurbished, classic TD-124 and can compare them. Thanks.
  17. B

No surprise. Amplifiers, preamplifiers, turntables, cartridges, CD players, streamers, DACs…even cables, outlets, and ICs, etc. all have an impact—greater or lesser—on the ultimate sound of a stereo system. But I’ve also found that there are often big differences among components (such as...
  18. B

Joined the Klipsch Club Today

Congratulations! Welcome to the fold. Obviously (and you already know this to be true in your heart of hearts), you should now be out shopping not only for bigger Klipsch speakers (CWs, La Scalas, Klipschorns, Jubilees…) but also for a larger home with a bigger listening room to accommodate...
  19. B

C22 Mkiii or MkIV Photo

I own the MKIV and absolutely love the dusk-blue nomenclature and the sound/features. I prefer its face to that of the brighter lime green of the MKV. Obviously, the aesthetics matter. But I chose the C22MKIV over all other then-current Mac preamps because the sound was very different and more...
  20. B

Has the USPS Lost Its Mind?

Or it ended up with Tom Hanks and Wilson on a deserted island.
  21. B

Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

“BPC” Black Plastic Crap. “SPC” Silver Plastic Crap. And then there’s just Crap—no matter the cost or material. Party on…
  22. B

Did Mac Ever Rebrand The MR78 Tuner into a Tuner/PreAmp?

Thanks @damacman. This is all very interesting. I had always wanted an MR78. Bought one in 1990. Had Richard M. overhaul it in 2015/16. He said he had already been inside it once before, in the 1980s (he noticed his handiwork), and, therefore, improved upon it further but charged me a lot less...
  23. B

Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

As someone who makes his living as an author and professional critic (not about audio equipment—even though I’ve also been offered but not followed through with assignments from Stereophile), I would just put forward that the particularities and difficulties of every profession (maybe you have...
  24. B

MC60 Joins damacman's lair

Godspeed! Please let us know how it compares to the original 275 (and any other Mac amps: 30s? 225?). I did a lot of A/B-ing at Audio Classics among original 275, 240, and later iterations of 275 before I decided on the 275 MKVI. Curious about your take.
  25. B

Has the USPS Lost Its Mind?

Kafkaesque.
Back
Top Bottom