Search results

1. hillaryj

What are my options for this restored SX-880?

Greeting all. I haven't been on this forum for ages. I had my SX-880 fully restored in June of 2017. Now I find out it cuts out at half volume. I took a video: What should I do? Any help is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! Full story below: Not sure if I should name the...
  2. hillaryj

Don't know what it is, don't know what it's worth

The listing is for the furniture and the receiver, 8-track, and turntable just happen to be included. I am totally unfamiliar with Harman Kardon. THANKS!
  3. hillaryj

CT-F9191 Eating my tape!

The good: I am really excited to bring home my first vintage tape deck, a CT-F9191 that I got for free from a friend who wasn't using it. I'm still really pumped about it, especially after reading more online about the model. The bad: I have no experience with tape and instantly realized...
  4. hillaryj

What are these worth?

Bates Model 12s. Yes, this is a repost. The other got taken off. I guess I had some rule breaking comments in there. Sorry bout that. Not intentional. These are really large speakers and the flagship model of a company that was here in Minnesota (80s). Each tower has two active 12", 8...
  5. hillaryj

Why do my woofers pulse for "no reason"?

I'm sure there is a reason, but I don't know it. Only noticeable when playing vinyl with my Pioneer PL512 through my Sansui 4000 into AR 58b's. More obvious as the volume level is increased. I want to understand this.
  6. hillaryj

What should I offer a friend for these (if anything?)

The title says it all. AR 58b. My buddy had these and I told him I was interested. They need a refoam but I think that is all. He said they were working up until the foam split. Veneer is pretty good, one side's grill cloth has a little hole and a broken off grill peg (stuck in hole). That...
  7. hillaryj

Twin Cities Speaker Company?

Anybody ever heard of an old speaker company from Litchfield, MN called Bates? My friends dad is getting rid of a pair of model 12s and I'm not sure I should take them on. Big weight and lots of drivers (and foam rot). Any advice is much appreciated.
  8. hillaryj

Which deoxit to use on SX-880

Title says it all. Should I use the 5% stuff or the other more potent solution (97%?) on pots for this receiver? THANKS
  9. hillaryj

Calculating volume of speaker cabs??

How do you figure out what size your speaker cabinets should be if you are building your own? What do you need to know about the actual drivers, tweeters, etc? I just know there is a whole lotta complicated science going on here but I was wondering if there is a kind of general rule? This...
  10. hillaryj

Audiophile Vinyl

What is it? Why is it considered Audiophile? I see a bunch online and they mostly seem to be 180g. Does that have much to do with it?
  11. hillaryj

Tuner Slippage on SX-880

I can't figure this out. I just got into my first Pioneer, an SX-880. The tuner slips as I turn the dial. I took all the cord off and re-wrapped it using the directions from the service manual and the original cord. The tension seems maxed out to me but it will still slip after running from...
  12. hillaryj

Anybody use Oink??

Curious if anybody here is a member? I am NOT looking for an invite.
  13. hillaryj

Tuner Tension

I just got my first Pioneer (SX-880). And I am trying to figure this out. I need to put the tuner wheel (I don't know what the tech term is) back on inside so that the needle on the front is at its lowest when the tuner inside is at its lowest. Question 1: where should the needle...
  14. hillaryj

2000 wood case fit 4000?

Anybody know if the wood case off a 2000(x or a, not sure which) fits a 4000?
  15. hillaryj

Need help with my first TT problem

Hey all. My recently acquired pioneer PL-512 is my first turntable ever. My problem is this: when the arm is dropped onto any record, it quickly skates across the record towards the middle. It sometimes catches and then puts out some really bad audio. What do I need to do to fix this?
  16. hillaryj

Plastic Push Buttons

This might be dangerous to post this in here, but I am curious to see what everybody thinks. How do you feel about the plastic push buttons used on these great receivers? I am not a huge fan.
  17. hillaryj

Need to learn

Hey Pioneer people, I'm a newbie to the vintage audio obsession and have a lot to learn. I have been looking at equipment for months on CL and got a decent Sansui to start off with (don't stop reading yet!). That isn't enough for me. I want to hear more. I want a Pioneer. And I want to...
  18. hillaryj

Technics SB 2765 Any Good?

The title really says it all. I can't find good info online and I haven't ever heard them. I don't even know when they were made. Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking about buying a pair.
  19. hillaryj

Newbie first piece - RA500...NIB

Hey everybody. I'm new on the forum but have been reading stuff on here for a few weeks researching my entry into vintage audio. I'm 23 and just graduated. I just wanted to share with you guys my first purchase: a MINT condition RA-500. Saw it on Craig's List last night and I was the...
Back
Top Bottom