Search results

1. MattiaM

Opere Sonore speakers: has anyone heard how they sound?

I have come across some speakers from a company called Opere Sonore. They are basically resonance boards made of spruce grown in Val di Fiemme. This wood has a illustrious history having been used to make violins by luthiers such as Stradivari, Amati and Guarneri. I cannot find any info on...
  2. MattiaM

Sony TA-1010 transformer hum

I got a Sony TA-1010 for parts that I just completed reparing. It had for some reason a catastrophic short that took the rectifier, most drivers and one of the output transistors, together with a couple of resistors. The fuse was also blown, and the main board under the rectifier was charred...
  3. MattiaM

Pioneer SA-7800 unstable with blown output transistors

I am trying to fix my SA-7800, and I am having a lot of issues. I purchased it for parts with blown output transistors; about a year ago I fixed it (or at least so I thought), with an extensive refurbishment (the guy who had it previously had attempted a repair and destroyed half of it, with...
  4. MattiaM

Pioneer CT-F900 broken switches

I recently bought from teh Internet a Pioneer CT-F900 cassette deck that looked alright and that I was planning to restore. When I received, I realised that whoever owned it in the past broke the acrylic (or is it glass?) cover of the plate holding the displays and three of the switches just...
  5. MattiaM

Sony STR-7035 FM issues

I have been recently working on a Sony STR-7035 with a number of issues. The FM tuner appeared to have very little reception, picking up only one very strong local station. I figured it was misaligned, and after a quick alignment of the IF section, it worked much better. However, there are...
  6. MattiaM

Sony TA-5650 loud pop at power-off

I recently refurbished a Sony TA-5650 v-fet, with a full recap, replacement of the killer diodes, addition of the voltage doubler on the power supply and replacement of the speaker relay. Bias adjusted fine at 50mV and the DC offset at the speaker output is about 2-3mv on one channel, and 15mV...
  7. MattiaM

SX-850 with badly corroded chassis

Hi, I have a Pioneer SX-850 receiver that was given to me a few years ago from someone that had it stored for years in an attic. While the front panel was in great conditions, some of the shafts of teh potentiometers were broken, the wooden case was missing and the chassis was badly corroded. I...
  8. MattiaM

Pioneer M90 restoration

Even if there is another similar old thread from @hennessy, I decided to still share my work on the restoration of a Pioneer M90 that I recently bought for parts. The manuals online are quite bad, and I really hate the way Pioneer at that time did not list the parts as every other manufacturer...
  9. MattiaM

Sony TA-1630 bias and oscillation issues

I got a Sony TA-1630 that I am restoring for a friend. Found it online advertised for parts with distortion on the right channel. Once received, I noticed that someone had already got inside and made a mess. Traces interrupted, bad soldering joints, melted wire insulation. The power transistors...
  10. MattiaM

Sony TA-8650 bias adjustment

Since there is no unique source of information on the bias for the Sony TA-8650, with no mention of changes from the 125mV in the original Sony Service manual in any service bulletin, and rumors from a Japanese forum of a required new value of 30/40mV, I decided to do a quick and by no means...
  11. MattiaM

Sony TA-1066 -- loud pop switching on or off

I have this little Sony TA-1066, which I have repaired and restored. I changed all electrolityc capacitors with Nichicon FG and the two main filter caps using new Panasonic high ripple low ESR caps. I also reflowed a few solder joints that would make intermittent connections around the speaker...
  12. MattiaM

Sony TA-8650 filter cap replacement?

I got my hands on a beautiful TA-8650 that I bought broken a couple of weeks ago and brought back to life. It's the best example I have ever come across, nobody had ever worked on it, and it was in storage for a very long time (in a very dusty place). It came with 3 of 2SK60 gone and a burnt...
  13. MattiaM

Technics SU-Z2 acting strange...

I got a non working Technics SU-Z2 that I have been unsuccessfully trying to get back to work. I am not an expert and I have been self learning about electronics on books and forums, and trying to apply that knowledge hands on with a few amps I got from friends or at carboot sales. This one had...
  14. MattiaM

First attempt at FM alignment

I have a Technics SA5400X receiver that I got for parts and just completed its restoration. The tuner seems to be working, although reception is quite weak, it only picks very few stations and it is pretty noisy. I therefore decided to use it to try my first ever alignment. I currently do not...
  15. MattiaM

Sony TA-5650 V-FET high pitch annoying noise

Hello, I just completed (or so I thought) the restoration of a Sony TA-5650. I am a novice in electronics, and this is one of my first restorations. I replaced the kilelr diodes, added the voltage doubler mod for the power supply, replaced the transistor that control the DC offset, recapped it...
  16. MattiaM

Sony TA-1010 restoration

Hello, I found a Sony TA-1010 for almost nothing, the person who sold it told me the left channel had a loud hum and the left channel was OK. I got it home, cleaned it thoroughly, and started checking what's wrong. The preamp section and the tone control section appear to be working OK...
Back
Top Bottom