Search results

1. Calrissian

"You might be an audiophile if..."

You might be a redneck if... ...you mow your lawn & find a Martin Logan speaker. ...your porch collapses and kills at least three tube amplifiers. (wait, I think I'm just copying.)
  2. Calrissian

More Love Than They Deserve; My Advent Mini Restoration Project

I can't say I'm greatly surprised that you weren't that into the Advent Minis upon first listen as they certainly aren't what most people would consider hifi. Because they're ported and placed in a plastic housing most Advent fans don't really consider them to be real Advents at all. But, yes...
  3. Calrissian

Idea Help for My Vintage Advent Dolby Atmos Home Theater

Here are the finished Advent minis. I documented the restore over in the DIY section. I went with a lighter colored grill cloth as I plan to match these with the Large Advents I'm refinishing. The ones finished in original black cloth are extra as I'm only going with 4 of these minis for...
  4. Calrissian

I've got some center channels just about restored so I can test them out but, yeah, I should also give it a go with no center at all. I've read that the soundstage tends to move off-center for anyone not sitting directly in front of the screen when you don't have a center channel. I'd also...
  5. Calrissian

Good luck with your restore. Love the 901s. A good example of a speaker that looks as good as it sounds, especially if you have a set of those cool round bottomed stands. I have some banged up 501s but I've never been lucky enough to own the 901s.
  6. Calrissian

After a quick count I found that over the years I've taken in a total of 9 orphaned little Advent Mini speakers. Most I found abandoned and alone (albeit in pairs) at thrift stores. Recently I'd added a set of three (?) that was practically being given away on everyone's favorite auction site...
  7. Calrissian

I'm thinking lattiboy is dead on in saying that you can use vintage stereo speakers and get great results in a home theater system. It sounds like quite a few people have figured out how to do it. I do plan on subs from at least say the 90's on and I'm still not sure about the center channel...
  8. Calrissian

I considered this as it would eliminate the off-center issue completely. But it would mean moving the couch out away from the wall with the door and that doesn't work well with the flow of the house. If I could make this a dedicated home theater room it would be the way to go but my wife isn't...
  9. Calrissian

I've finished restoring the first floor living area of our 1908 home and now I'm ready to kick back, relax, and be entertained for a while. Time for a Home Theater System! And I have this crazy idea that I can piece together a decent home theater system using some of my favorite vintage...
  10. Calrissian

Active

Active
  11. Calrissian

Baby Advent ii woofer replacement question...

I'm gonna check into these. I'm not into the tower speaker look but I think I'd love the sound of this pair.
  12. Calrissian

Baby Advent ii woofer replacement question...

Thanks for posting these pics. Very helpful. I'm a big fan of the Advent Babies! The have a great transparent sound in my opinion, at least when considering the price point. The bass really does sound like it's coming from a much larger cabinet as long as you don't turn them up to 11. The...
  13. Calrissian

Gambler, Smuggler, Playboy, Artist, Colt 45 Spokesperson, Business Analyst

Gambler, Smuggler, Playboy, Artist, Colt 45 Spokesperson, Business Analyst
  14. Calrissian

My Barn Find

A remarkable story and well told. You found some great gear there but it seems the reverse is true as well; the gear found a great new owner.
  15. Calrissian

Best Vintage Preamp

I must admit that is a pretty piece of gear. It has the "Mode" dial every preamp needs and that centered volume dial is just calling out to me.
  16. Calrissian

Best Vintage Preamp

My favorite preamp is my McIntosh C28. It's circa 1972 and though solid state it has a touch of tube-like warmth to it that I love. It also has a great number of useful knobs that allow for making fine adjustments, accounting for room acoustics or issues with components upstream or downstream...
  17. Calrissian

Are earbuds better than headphones for home audio ?

While I don't think there is a clear answer to the question due to vastly differing tastes and uses I believe it's safe to say that earbuds fight an uphill battle when it comes to matching traditional headphones for overall sound quality and comfort. That said buds do offer more convenience...
  18. Calrissian

Sony Walkman? What to buy on a budget?

If you still haven't made a purchase yet you might want to consider the Sports Walkman line. Sony made plenty of them so they tend to be lower priced and easier to find than some other models. Most are bright yellow of course so you have to be up for that look. I tend to pick up Walkmans...
  19. Calrissian

The BEST car song not recorded by the Beach Boys

Tom Waits "Ole 55"
  20. Calrissian

Your main system - Tubes, Solid State or both?

Thanks GMC. I've been meaning to take a few pics but was waiting until, you know, I found the right rack, upgraded my turntable, replaced the faceplate lights in my preamp, etc. Everything's in progress and just sitting on a big sturdy table. I did finish replacing the lights though and like...
  21. Calrissian

Are AV mcintosh good for Stereo listening ?

p.s.-----I would not consider a Mcintosh AV AMP or any car components. For home stereo use a Mcintosh integrated amp from any era will give you far better results in connectivity and sound.
  22. Calrissian

Are AV mcintosh good for Stereo listening ?

You could use the MA252 with a speaker selector box. (Purists will scoff at these usually inexpensive boxes which add a few otherwise unnecessary connections to your system but I couldn't hear a difference with mine versus without.) Don't confuse a selector box with one of McIntosh's speaker...
  23. Calrissian

Your main system - Tubes, Solid State or both?

I'm all solid state. MC2105, C28, MR74, MQ101, ML-1C. After a great local auction score on the 2105/C28 I started looking for comparable gear from the same early 70s era. It made sense considering that all the newer stuff is usually too expensive for me to justify and all the older tube stuff...
  24. Calrissian

Dumpster score

Welcome. All good advice above and like the rest I'm very jealous. The one thing I'd add since you're new to this is that these units have large capacitors inside that have the potential to store current long after they are unplugged. Damaged goods can be the most dangerous and those cut...
Back
Top Bottom