Search results

1. C

Best tube amp to use with Altec gear

Transistor amps in my experience have a thin grainy sound. I even have the Altec receiver that came with these speakers and it sounds lifeless on these . Stick with tube gear.
  2. C

Best tube amp to use with Altec gear

I am using a 1966 Realistic STA- 30 receiver I restored. It has 6Gw8 Output tubes...about 10-15 watts/ch …. Fantastic! Also a Hafler DH 200 is excellent and will definitely move some air!
  3. C

Will Pioneer RG-1 upgrade music quality

Also , I have never aujusted anything inside mine amd it works perfectly . Just cleaned the controls . and replaced the light bulbs. c
  4. C

I used to have the manual for this . I would not ajust anything inside .. If there is uneven level , clean the tape switch and the other switch and the gain and DB knobs with a good cleaner . I remember reading that there was was a special calibration for this unit . Try cleaning it first . If...
  5. C

It is not a gain device and forget the sine wave ...put a record on , ajust the level knob to the 2 o clock position to start(knob on the right ). Set expansion to 8 Db . Listen and ajust as necessary . 14 db ,max, really gets the expansion going.. nice on flat sounding records and of course...
  6. C

I bought the RG-1 NEW back in the '70's .... Its use was intended to bring the dynamics back to LP's -which were incredibily compressed . No signal its -3db -which helps noise on quiet passages .. up to 14 db on expansion .. un-doing the comression .. great on most vynal ...... unlocks the...
  7. C

Sansui Model 250

I have one of these , I replaced the caps with orange drops and the electrolytic s - and power supply . Did this 24 years ago and still sounds great . Daily player . Have many hundreds of hours on it All tubes original ...except the 6AQ8 in the amp section ,,, subbed it with another brand ...
  8. C

Tiny part needed for Viking 433 reel to reel

THE 433 WAS MADE IN 1969 AND IS A GREAT MACHINE . i HAVE 2 . MAKE CERTAIN THE MOTORS ARE OILED WITH A GOOD NON DETERGENT MOTOR OIL --3 IN 1 HAS ONE THAT IS GOOD . KEEP THE VENT CLEAR ON THE TOP AND BACK---THOSE MOTORS MAKE SOME HEAT. ALL FASTENERS ARE SAE STANDARD NOT METRIC . TRY ACE HARDWARE...
  9. C

Pilot 602m restoration

I have a 602 M -Its one of the best sets you will ever hear . I have this and a Pilot Mono console . The amp in the 602 is of a Williamson design and there a a Sam's photo fact on this . Once you get it up and running make certain that you balance the output tubes. Pilot called it...
  10. C

Pilot 240 Curtain of Sound, opinions ?

I currently have a 602 M Great unit ! Great Sound . I have the 3 epeaker set up ... center channel ... it is the best sounding 6bq5 amp I agree .
  11. C

Try tightening the screws that hold the transformer together . The audible hum usually indicates that one of the filter caps is bad . Better take it back to the person who serviced it . I have never heard a transformer making a hum before . I am assuming that this is the power supply transformer...
  12. C

THat Pilot amp is a good one . CK all tubes and leaky electrolytics .. otherwise , more than likely it will work fine .. replace damaged(milky) tubes . These Pilot products are over engineered and robust . Rumor had it that Saul Marantz worked for Pilot . They made lots of gear for the...
  13. C

I have some Pilot Gear .... 602M receiver ,,, FM only. I have been using this for many years now . 6BQ5 outputs -15WPC... nice sound... Tuner is good . THe circuit design they ues was the "williamson type" design with simplimatic tube balancing which was required on t this design . (I built and...
  14. C

Will a bad output tube cause runaway bias? Dynaco Mk III

Silicon Diodes will have less voltage drop and can provede more voltage . Some of ther newer manufactuer tubes have a higher rating .. Ck with the manufacturer .. Your high quality tubes are much more tolerant especially at high levels . I have a Dynaco st-70 , With Russian outputs , been...
  15. C

Porting Altec A7's

THe advertised frequency reaponse was 35-22,000 Hz 30 watts power handling 105 DB 1 watt /meter 1000 hz. .. THey were awarded for acurate sound by the motion theater industry . Try playing the Matrix 1st one , you will experience home theater ... very impressive . A lot of these Altecs have been...
  16. C

Porting Altec A7's

I have a pair of A7's . I am the 3rd owner . These were made in 1966. Mine have the high freqiency horn mounted in the port which gives the port the correct size . I have measured strong bass to 35 HZ . After that 34 Hz on down it stops putting out sound ,, it drops off like a rock . The...
Back
Top Bottom