Search results

1. spark1

Amazing to me !

Digital recording systems pick up breathing, room noise, etc just fine. Good thing, since most vinyl produced since the mid 80s was recorded digitally. I hear all kinds of details in both digital and vinyl recordings. Speakers play a big role in this aspect of sound reproduction. I like...
  2. spark1

analog vs digital

I value sound quality over convenience. I prefer digital for both casual and serious listening, even though I have several very nice turntables and a fairly large vinyl collection. One of the factors in my preference is access to an exponentially larger variety of music with digital. A big...
  3. spark1

Receiver WPC Question - Building A Vintage System On A Budget

The power you need is dependent upon: Desired maximum listening level (Sound Pressure Level, or SPL) Distance from speakers Speaker sensitivity (the higher the sensitivity, the less power you need to achieve a given loudness (SPL) Power in reserve for transient peaks (9-12dB is adequate for...
  4. spark1

Dilemma: stay vintage or go modern?

I have some older gear that puts a lot of modern stuff to shame. And some newer gear that puts a lot of vintage stuff to shame.
  5. spark1

What is the consensus on replacing working transistors?

That's what the repair tech who did the work called them. Obviously a butcher. But it got rid of the noise. Should I throw the amp away?
  6. spark1

I replaced some noisy small signal transistors in my amplifier. So now it's butchered and wrecked? On a related note; I'm glad he didn't take your advice and put down the soldering iron. His STK replacement design has made better amps of many Pioneer SX780s. If that's butchering, I'm all for...
  7. spark1

analog vs digital

Make a CD-quality digital recording from an LP. Do a blind A/B comparison between that recording and that LP, played back on the same TT used to make the digital copy. Then let's see who can tell the difference. I did this with a group of audio-enthusiast friends without their knowledge...
  8. spark1

How does replacing a transistor or diode ruin an amplifier? Is any amplifier that's been repaired ruined?
  9. spark1

Marantz 1030 and 1060 push buttons

Just the buttons, or the switches and buttons?
  10. spark1

Question About Voltage Compatibility for Amp: Seeking Guidance

Take off the bonnet. Check the voltage adjustment knob, near transformer, be sure it is set to 120V (assuming you are in the USA).
  11. spark1

My first external DAC - Semibreve DA10S Stereo Audio Decoder

Looks like an interesting DAC. It's amazing to me that one can get such good performance for such low prices in today's DAC marketplace. FWIW, aptX HD is quite good, but not lossless.
  12. spark1

AR 3 vs AR 4x speakers

This is by far the best guideline. I might add "and assuredly harmful to sound quality".
  13. spark1

AR 3 vs AR 4x speakers

Actually it's not. But this horse is so dead that beating it again is pointless.
  14. spark1

Actual watts....who can shed light on this subject?

Assuming the meter is accurate (generally a bad assumption), 60 watts. In addition to other factors that reduce power meter accuracy, mentioned earlier in the thread, transient peaks are usually not fully represented.
  15. spark1

Relatively low wattage on an RMS/continuous basis. 16x to 32x that on a momentary/transient basis, assuming a good recording. Sometimes even more. If you think about it, you can see that running an amp at more than about 10-15% of its continous/RMS power output capability is very likely to...
  16. spark1

I have no issue with saying the amp pushes or the load pulls. Amp must have enough voltage to push the current being demanded ("pulled").
  17. spark1

AR 3 vs AR 4x speakers

The distinction is that it is too much power that does the damage, regardless of whether or not amp is clipping. You can clip the signal all day long without damage (assuming that the amp doesn't get thrown into oscillation by the clipping). So clearly it is not clipping that does the damage...
  18. spark1

AR 3 vs AR 4x speakers

I've not noticed this to be the case. Have you been keeping a tally? And even if you have, the data would not be valid since it would not represent a random sampling. Clipping can certainly result in more power going to the tweeters than would normally be the case. Clipping will usually...
  19. spark1

Thiel CS2 decision time

Yes, that's why I mentioned high-passing them at 70 Hz.
  20. spark1

Another sub change, REL Q201E

Same. I tried a pair of Rhythmic subs without high passing the 2Ce Sigs and could never get a good blend. Picked up a pair of Vandy subs after that. and using the filter that comes with them was able to dial them in nicely. On a related note; I recently sold the Vandersteens and replaced them...
  21. spark1

Does it work without sound card but DAC installed?

Huh?
  22. spark1

Another sub change, REL Q201E

I am not familiar with that sub, but What I do know is that it is difficult to integrate any subwoofer with the Vandersteens without high-passing them. I had 2Ci's for many years, and the 2Ce Sig II's for the last ten years or so.
  23. spark1

Upgrade from my Pioneer Pl10?

OP has left the building!
  24. spark1

And of course the very popular, and quite good, AT VM95 is another inexpensive cartridge option. Well, inexpensive if you get the conical or elliptical stylus option. And at $120, the VM95EN (nude elliptical) is not so inexpensive, but is a real improvement over the bonded elliptical. I have...
  25. spark1

You might give some thought to a replacement stylus for your cartridge if it is original. Or a new cartridge/stylus. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-pl-10-pioneer-pl-12d-cartridge-suggestions.858881/ I don't know much about aftermarket stylus options for your Stanton...
Back
Top Bottom