Search results

1. Keating

Help identifying these speakers

Please help me to identify these speakers. Thanks in advance.
  2. Keating

Pioneer HPM-100 Restoration Project (Veneer removal)

Send me your email.
  3. Keating

My plan is to do a test piece and go through the entire veneer process. Then use my stains and test results. Acetone was good for the front "face" veneer strips but I used a belt sander, then orbital, then hand sanded for perfectly square edges on sides. Used my level and used wood bondo to make...
  4. Keating

Work and home life to busy. I'll get back at it soon.
  5. Keating

Need your email address..
  6. Keating

I'll email you a step by step project for HPM-100 crossover mod. Has everything you need and parts list too.
  7. Keating

The hardware showed up and it's a perfect match. Not as easy as you think to find these.
  8. Keating

I assure you this mod improved the HPM's. It's well documented on this site.
  9. Keating

I might be hitting you up!
  10. Keating

Been watching lots of videos for tips. I'll be using a 1/8" Mohair Roller to apply the adhesive and pros say not to use a J-Roller. Use a spatula because you can apply 8 times more force.
  11. Keating

Wanted to give something back. Learned so much about the hobby. You wont find that screw info anywhere else. Save this.
  12. Keating

I've decided to not use spray glue with this project. Instead I'm switching to Adhesive Gel. It has the consistency of grease but goes on like paint. This will assure I have no lumpiness under the veneer.
  13. Keating

Work has me going out of town, so I hope to be adding some more pics by next weekend.
  14. Keating

4 x 8' raw Walnut veneer sheet, no backing, 3/16". These are speakers so I opted for thicker veneer. This isn't a TT Plinth 1/40 peel and stick veneer. Will adhere with spray adhesive and J-Roll it. Here are my supplies. UV Dye, Gel Stain, Gel Coat and Gloss Finish. Yes they will be gloss...
  15. Keating

Don't sand off your Pioneer "Passed" Inspection Stickers. Tape over them before repainting the back of the cabs.
  16. Keating

The dust cap on my mid driver had a dent. No problem. Made a straw out of a ball point pen, wet the dust cap with alcohol and some water and 5 sucks it was good as newish..
  17. Keating

I upgraded the crossovers with new Dayton Caps and resistors. I tested these before the cabinet restoration work began. I used a build spec created by others from this site. Very detailed and quite easy. Not going to go into a lot of detail regarding the electronics but highly suggest you...
  18. Keating

Decided to fabricate a new spec sheet and laminate it for the rear cabinets. Laminated it to prevent tearing. Used PDF format for high res printing, and transferred the MM/YYYY info to the top of the sheet near SN info. Sheet size from Pioneer was 10 x 7", and I used Arial Terminal Font, 30...
  19. Keating

Attention to detail is a must. Including hardware. The previous owner damaged/marred all the driver hardware moving them around. After a lot of research I found a vendor who sells the exact bolts and washers. This wasn't easy. Most black oxide pan heads in this size are now hex key design...
  20. Keating

Cabinets have been repaired. I used the wood bondo as a leveling agent, so I don't remove to much of the wood underlay. All of the corners are now true and used a level to make sure all sides were plumb.
  21. Keating

After pictures of the grills. I'm very happy with the outcome.
  22. Keating

It was blazing hot out, so I took opportunity to repair the grills, grill covers and affix new grill badges. The grills were similarly over built with over 100 staples per grill. I removed these carefully with a small flat head screw driver. I repaired some splitting and fashioned a new cross...
  23. Keating

I decided the best coarse of action was to completely remove the veneer. This makes the project even more challenging. Removing the veneer was not possible by simply using acetone. I was able to achieve this on the veneer strips on the front of the cabs. Pioneer had some quality adhesives back...
  24. Keating

Before Pictures. Sets #1 and #2. As you can see they are in very rough shape. The previous owner didn't treat them well, and it appeared he moved parts from 200W version to 100W version to have the best cabs. He had three sets. I purchased the worst of the three. Started by removing all the...
  25. Keating

I purchased these Pioneer HPM-100's cheap and was inspired by several restoration projects from this site. My goal entering this project was to make them better than new, if that's possible, so here goes.
Back
Top Bottom