Search results

1. S

Suggestions for unknown capacitors

Nothing, looks like a brown paper bag. Might have originally been on the bottom side but since it is half submerged in black silicon goop the paper just tears off when removing the caps. The two I have out only have the inner foil wrapping now.
  2. S

Ok, let the confusion continue. Picked up a LCR meter. Cut and tested the larger cap first. 36pf. Smaller cap comes up as a 1 ohm resistor. Huh? So then I tested the cap I had removed from the other speaker. Larger one was 336 pf (and not 36pf like the other one but about a 3rd of it is gone...
  3. S

Awesome reply. Thank you. That gives me a direction to go in. Do you think the caps still will give any useable measurement? When I took them out of the first speaker they just crumbled like dust. There is a family owed electronics store here so I will see if they sell LCR meters before I order...
  4. S

Yes, 5 speakers and they are all connected to either one or both of the capacitors. Odd set up for sure . Caps are relatively cheap so I could just buy a range and see what sounds best. What would be a good starting point to get in the ballpark? The one speaker that is still hooked up has dried...
  5. S

If you look up a few replies I have it written out as well. 2 wires coming from each. Some go to both capacitors, some to only one. It is an odd setup for sure. In the diagram the 2 rectangles are the capacitors.
  6. S

All the wires have been traced. I posted a PDF that shows where they go. They were traced using continuity
  7. S

Does that diagram help any?
  8. S

I don't have access to a LCR, just a Fluke DMM.
  9. S

Here are some pics of the other speaker. This one doesn't have near as much silicon in it so I was able to tell that there is a coil under everything. In reference the top 2 brown speakers are labeled HF, top middle is UF, middle speaker is MF and bottom is LF. Yellows go to positive and green...
  10. S

Here is the other speaker that I have not taken a part yet. Everything seems to be working but the sounds just kind of fall over each other. definitely needs new capacitors to get all the frequencies pointed in the right direction. Just sat it at the table real quick so excuse the horrible setting
  11. S

Thanks for all the help so far. I am out of my element a bit. I tried Jensen directly but they keep passing me around. One email gave me a link to their marine division haha. Can anyone give me a list of what I should order?
  12. S

2 capasitors, 2 wires going to each.
  13. S

Thanks for all the replies. There are 5 speakers total. Ohm'd the wires to see what speakers the capasitors were driving. The wires are labeled as follows Woofer= LF Mid= MF 2 outer tweets= HF Middle tweet= UF Each has a green and yellow wire going to them. Here is what I found HF#1 green...
  14. S

Picked up a pair of Jensen 3-P/2 super slim panel speakers from 1961. They work but obviously the caps are dried out. Removed them from the first speaker hoping the paper would have some specs on it but nothing. Can't find anything online either (specs, schematics). How do you go about...
Back
Top Bottom