Search results

1. Steve Smiley

Name that tonearm?!

Can anyone name this tonearm? It is on a Technics SL-1100a I am looking at. It doesn’t not look like the tonearm I am seeing in photos of that particular table. I do understand that it is a deck that people mod to their liking. Thank you in advance, Smiley
  2. Steve Smiley

Is this a capacitor, and if so…

And if so, do they have a long life, or should it be replaced? I am recapping a MB-Electronic Quart 280. I do believe I’ve seen a similar cap before but can’t remember for sure. Thank so much, Smiley
  3. Steve Smiley

Bucket sub bonus bargain

Head's up, Parts Express is having a Cinco de Mayo sale with 25% off all clearance items. You'll find some handy items and a good selection of one-off drivers. I saw a couple 2" compression drivers that might be nice... But what really caught my eye was an additional discount on open box...
  4. Steve Smiley

Altec 808-8Z?

I recently saw these and am unfamiliar. What can you share about an 808-8Z compression driver? Some kind of a utility driver? I see it with spray-painted driver designation. Thanks for anything you can share! Regards, Smiley
  5. Steve Smiley

Beware-Scam, Audio Research Sp-3, Flint, MI

Posting here in Dollars and (Common) Sense, because I didn't use it (the common sense part) I responded to a FB ad earlier today. A Beth Johnson was selling a nice SP-3 for $350. Yes, perhaps, should have been my first clue to proceed with caution. But shiny object! The description was fine...
  6. Steve Smiley

Altec 604 B rescue

You may have seen my recent post about an exciting find of a very early Altec 604; https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-do-we-have-here.995717/ Well my current obsession/compulsion has me looking in every nook and cranny for another hidden gem. Well, I did find something but it...
  7. Steve Smiley

Dynakit MK IV, feedback, recap confirmation

Hello All, I have threatened to get into tubes for some time. Had my hands on a HK A500 that I was bullied into selling. Regretting that, but then again, probably not a good example on which to cut my tube chops... I've had great feedback and encouragement on mono blocks I have for four panel...
  8. Steve Smiley

What do we have here?

Saw a FB post 9 minutes old with these listed. Priced such that I need to take a chance they are something good! What do you think? Smiley
  9. Steve Smiley

CW II cabinet, to stuff or not to stuff?

Hello, I'm starting work on a Klipsch project, my first. Been tied up in Bozak and Econowave . A friend has asked for some help with his Klipsch Cornwall II. I am refreshing his original pair and building (DIY) another set for his large rec room. He had the horns, I'm providing the woofers...
  10. Steve Smiley

Acoustats and servo amps, help, I'm outta my league!

Well, look what followed me home last night! Just when I was wholly committing to finishing my Bozak projects... The seller shared with me they are Acoustat Monitor 4. I've started my research (gonna have to do a lot of that!) and I thought the Monitor 4 were 58" tall, 4 panel. These are 51"...
  11. Steve Smiley

Bozak CS-4000A and crossover conundrom

I was fortunate to come into a very nice pair of Bozak CS-4000A. The previous owner had passed and it was difficult for his widow and son to let them go, so they shared with me. They both seemed pleased they were going to someone who appreciated them like he did...really nice people, and then...
  12. Steve Smiley

Can anyone ID equipment, Estate sale this weekend, Detroit area

Does this equipment look familiar to anyone? The top piece I believe is Pioneer EQ. The Facebook add is easier to see. What caught my eye is what is below the EQ. I'm curious about the potential the two bottom pieces may have. They appear to be matching and the bottom looks like a tuner with...
  13. Steve Smiley

Need help figuring out Dukane pro/pa co-ax or tri-ax driver

I'm working on a driver with a friend of mine. We are wondering if this might make a good driver, maybe for a bass guitar... It is a Dukane Spectra-Phase -15, phase corrected loudspeaker, Model 5A445. I saw one post regarding this driver on AK commenting about a unique cabinet and enthusiasm...
  14. Steve Smiley

Victor Console amp rescue, or leave it?

I have been looking for an inexpensive tube amp to learn on. I found this on social media sales site. It is a Victor (JVC) Delmonico Model 1330 Stereo phonograph. Does it look like a good candidate for a quality tube stereo amp? I might be able to post a bigger picture to see tube layout if...
  15. Steve Smiley

Which LF driver would you choose in this situation...

...or better asked, which driver should I choose? I'm including WINISD graphs for your review to comment as I am trying to learn how to use measurements to support my decisions. I have a pair of 5.9 cubic ft cabs (bass-reflex) that I would like to use as the low frequency section for a two-way...
  16. Steve Smiley

Advice on transporting tube and TT console, please

Hello AK! I just purchased a stereo cabinet/console at an estate sale about an hour's drive from home. The rig includes a tube integrated amp, tube tuner, turntable, and reel to reel. I drive back tomorrow to load it up for the trip back home. My question is; What should I do to ensure as...
  17. Steve Smiley

Magnavox Console ID help, Decoder..., is it worth it?

There is a Magnavox console available in town, they just want it hauled away. Owner says it works except for the turntable. I have heard the wonderful stories of Maggie console finds with good tube amps in them. I thought this would be the best way for me to get into exploring tubes. Any...
  18. Steve Smiley

EV DH1A, possible magnetic interference with mounting bolts?

I made a DIY adapter to mount my EV DH1A compression drivers to an EV HR6040 horn (see recent thread). I picked up 1/4 bolts at the local hardware store that are zinc plated. The mounting holes in the driver travel through or adjacent to the magnet structure in the driver. It was immediately...
  19. Steve Smiley

DIY EV HR6040/EV DH1A driver adapter

Much to my happiness, I recently acquired two beauties (or soon to be). I have a pair of Electro-Voice DH1A compression drivers and a pair of Electro-Voice HR6040 Constant Directivity horns. Thank you Moray James for the guidance along the way! Now the challenge, the DH1A wasn't made to mate...
  20. Steve Smiley

Electronic Crossover find, treasure or trash? Crown FFX-2

I was visiting my favorite Michigan State University surplus store today. Always a great place for unique finds. Lately there has been a lot of pro sound gear available, probably upgrading sound systems in athletics facilities. I saw these Crown FFX-2 electronic crossovers. Would these be...
  21. Steve Smiley

Reference one refoam tips

Infinity folk! I just picked up my first pair, starting small. A pair of Reference One from the local Salvation Army, going out of business. I ordered new foam surrounds but I wonder if anyone has any tips for getting the plastic trim rings off without damaging them, or at least keeping them...
  22. Steve Smiley

"Name that...speaker"

Hello AKers, I picked up a little project that I could use your help with. My research suggests that the horns are an Oxford variety. I can't find anything on the 12" woofer. it seems like it might be a full range number. probably an inexpensive console number. I am doing a bit of a refurb on...
Back
Top Bottom