Search results

1. J

Has Class D come of age?

I had a Class-D receiver, Pioneer SC-27. With the right speakers it was the best sounding receiver I have ever owned (I used to collect vintage receivers, and had a few more modern ones, too). Its amp section was B&O IcePower.
  2. J

We are mispronouncing "Forte"

When I see a bunch of grown men debating inane minutia and patting themselves on the back over how much more learned their language is over that of somebody who uses a word in its popular pronunciation, I think of two things. Pedantic self satisfation, and a college Freshman who's just learned...
  3. J

Watts is watts? Do all amps sound the same?

McIntosh is in a hollow tin box now?
  4. J

"The Pedantic Semantics" would be a great band name. If you use a word that is "book correct" but nobody out in the real world understands what you are saying, I'm sorry to inform you that that particular word has "evolved" beyond saving. Words are used to communicate. If your use of that...
  5. J

It is impossible to lay physical waste to a day, which is not a physical object but merely an abstract idea based upon the movement of light across the Earth. Can you touch a day? If not, then you can't lay ruin to it. (sarcasm emoticon needed).
  6. J

I was about to say that his post takes the cake for pedantry, but I'd just get another paragraph directed at me that explains how a post cannot, in fact, abscond with any pastries and that pedantry, as a word, cannot eat sugary snacks.
  7. J

When I take out my cables and power cords, all of my amps sound the same.
  8. J

Billfort's system

That has to be one of the best looking systems I've ever seen. And it is also quite unique, obviously a reflection of having really found what suits you and not what others have told you that you'd like.
  9. J

I love that nearly to the degree that I can not stand a pedant.
  10. J

And the judges absolve the usage of evolve in crosswords solved.
  11. J

Language evolves.
  12. J

Language evolves.
  13. J

Which combo - Rega RP8/Harbeth P3ESR or Rega RP6/Harbeath C7ES3?

I couldn't really elaborate before. I do like the P-3 but only in the context of the idea that its a great small speaker. In the right setup, the C7 is just a great speaker, period, without any size stipulation. I had a pair and I never got them to work out here, but I have heard them sound...
  14. J

Heavily Tweaked Images

This is an heavily tweaked iPhone shot of the building behind my apartment, the "Aqua" tower. Looking up, as if it were a landscape. I take a lot of shots with my phone that I go back and redo with a "real" camera..this is going to be one. Just wanted to see what it would look like, roughly.
  15. J

Which combo - Rega RP8/Harbeth P3ESR or Rega RP6/Harbeath C7ES3?

The P3 doesn't do much for me. I'd say RP-6 and Compact 7s.
  16. J

I'm guilty of that. It's one of my escapes from it.
  17. J

I just audition something, buy it if it shows promise, live with it, and if I'm happy I keep it if not I sell it. So far that lack of OCD is working out well for me. After many many many amps coming through here, I've found 3 that I love, and am not interested at all in buying another. They're...
  18. J

You're missing my point. We disagree on this topic not because of the nature of what is being discussed but because of who we are. We will never agree because the argument isn't about amps. It's about who's way of thinking is superior. Which is my way if saying that beyond a basic level, these...
  19. J

I suspect there is a much higher percentage of people on the Aspergers spectrum in audio than there is in a random sample of the population at large. That's not meant as some judgment its just an observation. Much of the behavior exhibited on forums is strikingly similar to the personality...
  20. J

In all honesty, I think it is because they don't care. I've said this before but what we are debating isn't that amps sound different. We are arguing about different personality types. Take somebody who is into the spectrum of personality that is associated with Asperger's syndrome. It's...
  21. J

That still wouldn't remove the bias of the individual. Even not knowing which amp is playing, if they're predisposed to not think that there is a difference, then A would sound like B and both would sound like "X", assuming the bias is that strong. It's easy to remove the bias of the stimulus...
  22. J

I should reiterate that I don't think the differences in amps are price dependent. I bet a tripath amp would sound better on them than the Levinson 331 I tried a few months ago. It sucked, big time. Opaque, bloated bass, grainy highs. This whole "I see dollars signs and think something is...
  23. J

That's exactly what I'm saying. It wouldn't matter if the test was blind if your bias was already that amps don't sound different. You'd be listening for that result. You'd be predisposed to not hear a difference. As in, to actually, physically, not be conscious of hearing one, and that would be...
  24. J

I'm not saying that it does. But as far as I know, you haven't done a blind test to arrive at your conclusion. You only demand that others do so. If you have, details of what exactly happened would be interesting and add to the discussion. I'm also not saying that I'm immune to expectation bias...
  25. J

So lets talk about differences in step up devices for LOMC cartridges now because that's what I'm actually doing a comparison on at the moment, not amps ;). Well, I guess one option is an amp...a head amp.
Back
Top Bottom