Search results

1. c n

Kenwood Kd-2055 vs. Fluance RT85 (or is vintage still better even on mid-range tables)

For what it's worth, i'm still interested in the fluance. If anything, still leaning toward it because I have more confidence in it working out of the box rather than requiring fiddling, fixing, or adjustment and I'm not all that confident that a different table would be noticeably better to my...
  2. c n

Kenwood Kd-2055 vs. Fluance RT85 (or is vintage still better even on mid-range tables)

Very cool, I did not know that was an option. Thank you for sharing. As far as I can tell, the 5070 is not readily available, but the 2055 is. Looks like the 5070 sells for quite a bit more too. Since you have both, can I ask if you think the 5070 is worth holding out for, especially for...
  3. c n

The 2055 is a belt drive, not DD. But the DD Kenwoods with this specific plinth (and the plinth is the main draw for this table) don't have auto-return, to my knowledge -- and that's a dealbreaker for me.
  4. c n

Thank you for posting! I believe it may have been someone else's post -- that or it was long enough ago that I have forgotten :) This is definitely an intriguing option!
  5. c n

Hope you will humor me with one more "new vs. vintage" question. At the core, I'm wondering if I should get a used Kenwood KD-2055 or a new Fluance RT-85 (or RT-85n). My last turntable was a Kenwood KD-500 with a SME 3009 Series II tonearm. I loved the "marble" plinth, but I had a bear of a...
  6. c n

Good bookshelf speakers for QUIET vinyl listening? (Flexible budget, but $300 target)

Well these are certainly pretty. These seem like a ver intriguing option, thank you for sharing.
  7. c n

Good bookshelf speakers for QUIET vinyl listening? (Flexible budget, but $300 target)

Try as I might I can't find speaker reviews that focus on audio quality when the volume is turned down. I am buying a fluance rt-85 and need a set of speakers to go with it. I plan to hook them up with a receiver and preamp but no amp and no sub. Just a stereo bookshelf setup. I live in an old...
  8. c n

Anyone want to split an order for KEF q150s?

Hope this isn't against the rules to post outside of BarterTown -- let me know if it is. Since it's not a "sale" post I wasn't sure. I have a set of KEF q150s in Walnut, and want to get a third to use as a center channel. They of course are sold in pairs, so wanted to see if there's anyone...
  9. c n

KEF v300 amp -- still worth it?

Is timbre matching overblown/overrated? That's why I thought you needed matched speakers.
  10. c n

Yes -- it's money. Most of it will be spent on the center channel speaker though -- I was told I need to get one that is a good "match" with the bookshelf speakers, which for me, since I got KEF q150s, would be a KEF q250c... and that retails for $600. So was essentially looking for a way around...
  11. c n

Best (affordable) bookshelfs for vinyl AND movies?

I ended up going with the KEF Q150s! They are on sale and the reviews seemed reasonably good. Now I'm trying to figure out if I *NEED* a center channel (q250c) or if I can get acceptably clear dialogue just from 2 speakers and an amp. Will keep y'all updated :)
  12. c n

I've been on a quest to get better dialogue clarity for watching movies and TV, and to that end recently picked up a pair of KEF q150 speakers. I was planning to eventually pair them with a q250c center channel, and then buy a modern receiver to route it all through. If it matters, all of my...
  13. c n

If I hook up two bookshelfs and a center channel, will music play through the center channel too?

So you route it through the center channel connection even though you don't have L and R speakers connected? Am I understanding that correctly? TBH I didn't even know that was an option.
  14. c n

If I hook up two bookshelfs and a center channel, will music play through the center channel too?

This is probably a really dumb question... but does that mean all of your TV audio comes out just the center channel, or do you have some way to still route the sound through both the amp and the receiver, and get L/R sound out of your bookshelf set and center channel audio out of you're AV...
  15. c n

I haven't purchased the receiver yet. I do have an Onkyo TX-NR809 that I got for free off a Facebook "Buy Nothing" group, but I haven't had speakers set up to test it with and I'm assuming it doesn't work. They didn't know if it worked when they gave it away, which I took to mean something...
  16. c n

I know this is probably a really dumb question, but I have never used more than two speakers at a time. I'm (still) exploring options so that I can route both my turntable and TV through the same receiver, and was wondering: If I hook up a center channel speaker (so I can get better dialogue for...
  17. c n

That decision may also blow my marriage out of the water lol
  18. c n

Well, just showed these to my wife and she may be sold. Definitely adding these to the list to look into.
  19. c n

Update to an aging thread in case anyone stumbles upon this with a similar question and wants resolution: I used the advice in this thread, researched the suggestions, and settled on trying to find a pair of Jamo C103s in wood veneer and then pairing them with a modern receiver. The reason I'm...
  20. c n

One other factor that just dawned to me and which could be a dark horse from when I was using a modern receiver -- I was connecting to the receiver via HDMI (Xbox --> receiver --> TV). Does anything get lost in translation with HDMI? would I *need* an optical out? I hope not -- because they...
  21. c n

Maybe I should have clarified, while I am using a receiver, it is a vintage receiver without these sort of features. I have just played with the treble and bass settings. And to be clear @BMWCCA, it is not the bass that's the problem. It's that dialogue is underpowered. The bass sounds great --...
  22. c n

I have tried that. I really don't think it's a receiver problem. I think I'm asking the speakers to do something they weren't designed for.
  23. c n

Lots of great suggestions in here. I am still open to more suggestions, but I am going to get to work researching some of these options tonight!
  24. c n

I have a receiver, and the bass still overpowers dialogue, even with the bass on it's lowest setting.
Back
Top Bottom