Search results

1. M

Cerwin Vega LS-8 on Sony STR-7055 Amp?!?!

I own the LS-8's which I have kept in reserve as backup speakers. They work fine for music only applications and are not hard to drive. As long as your Sony is in good condition it should have no trouble with the speakers. The LS-8's are decent speakers, neither great nor terrible, and should do...
  2. M

excuse my ignorance - dvd player for cd's

I think a lot of people use inexpensive dvd players as cd players. The key seems to be using one with a 24bit/192khz dac (96khz is pretty good too). Brands like Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, Pioneer and Sony have all had good feedback. A cottage industry has even sprung up for modifying these...
  3. M

Champion Jack Dupree

You should check out the Wikipedia entry for Champion Jack Dupree. At the bottom there is a link to an illustrated discography for him. Pretty interesting stuff. Years ago I owned a recording by him, a live recording he made with King Curtis called Blues From Montreaux. The discography says it...
  4. M

Today's JAZZ playlist

Kenny Burrell- Lotus Blossom Fred Hersch- Passion Flower
  5. M

What is around Livonia Michigan to see or do

Some places that weren't mentioned are Shields (various locations) for pizza, The Green Lantern (pizza and libations) in Madison Heights, BD Mongolian Barbeque (oriental & bbq) and Memphis Smoke (bbq & blues) both in Royal Oak, The Ark in Ann Arbor (music), Lafayette Coney Island in Detroit, and...
  6. M

Today's JAZZ playlist

We're All Together Again for the First Time-Dave Brubeck
  7. M

Cambridge Audio 340CB...Any Good?

Hi G, Have you checked www.audioadvisor.com yet? They carry NAD, Cambridge and Marantz single tray models in your price range and they are located in Grand Rapids. Check their demo section where they currently list a Cambridge 540C-v2 for $270 and an NAD C-515BEE for $255. Both are considered...
  8. M

Old School/New School, BA A150 or VR2

Each of these speakers is available locally and I was interested in getting some feedback from members who have heard both. I have the A70's but I have read in several threads here that the A150's are a considerably better speaker. That is good news to me since I am one of those rare people who...
  9. M

Vector Research VR-7000

Actually 65+ watts sounds about right, especially the +. I owned the VR5000 in my first real system and it was 45 watts. A recent craigslist ad showed the 9000 having 85. Vector got some positive mention back then for having amp sections which outperformed their rating by about 50 percent so...
  10. M

Vandersteen 2ce in a small listening room

Thanks for the feedback guys. It was just what I was looking for. There is a pair available in my area (with stands) so I think I will contact the seller and see if we can work something out. Gary
  11. M

Vandersteen 2ce in a small listening room

This is a question for any members with experience with the Vandersteen 2ce's or other Vandersteen 2 models. How do you think they would sound in a small listening room that is 13'x16'? I would not be placing them real close to the walls. I can easily place them two to three feet out. I am...
  12. M

cerwin vega re-foam: why so expensive?

You might consider giving the Speaker Exchange a call. They are one of the Friends of Audiokarma listed at the bottom of the page. They stock CV refoam kits in the size you need. You can figure what shipping would be to Canada with their shipping calculator and you would have a complete kit with...
  13. M

Can you run a Vincent SP-331 Amp in Bridged Mode?

Hi js, I'm going to have to agree with BalancedXLR in that I believe you are barking up the wrong tree. You are comparing how great your Klipsch KLF20's sound to the way the Taylo's sound. I was able to audition the Taylo's through their home audition program so I am familiar with their sound...
  14. M

Head Count: Who has Cerwin-Vega HED CV-3000's?

Hi birddog, I'm not familiar with the HED CV-3000's but your set looks to be in great shape. The cabinet looks similar to the D series and the tweeter looks exactly the same so I'll bet they sound real good. I have the D-3 which I really like. The CLS-215 is the top model in Cerwin's current CLS...
  15. M

Saturday Tunes

Eric Clapton: EC Was Here Holst: The Planets; Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Ella Fitzgerald: Best of the Songbooks
  16. M

Help me choose my 'starting point' first speakers.

Hi Mike, You seem to be on the right track with your initial choices. I like the Vandersteen 2C idea because they are great, all around type speakers and used ones would fit right in your budget. Audiogon usually has several pairs listed and that would probably be a good place to start looking...
  17. M

Has ANYONE listened to these new(ish) Cerwin-Vegas, the CLS Series???

I haven't heard the CLS series but I do own a pair of D3's which I have always liked. In fact these were the speakers I owned during the period when my musical tastes changed from rock and blues to classical and jazz so, unlike most listeners, I don't feel CV's are suitable only for loud, party...
  18. M

Today's classical playlist

Barber Korngold: Violinkonzerte.UA Shaham/London Symphony Orchestra/Previn Deutsche Grammophon 439 886-2 GH Samuel Barber: Concerto for Violin and Orchestra op. 14 Erich Wolfgang Korngold: Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D major op. 35 Much Ado About Nothing Suite op. 11
  19. M

This is probably bad karma, but I've posted photos at my AC gallery.

Very well done That's a terrific set of photos. Very comprehensive. Thank you for bringing the fest to those of us who could not attend. Welcome to AK. Gary
  20. M

AK fest 2007 pics

Terrific photos tri. You really covered the entire fest. Thanks much from those of us who couldn't attend. How are you feeling these days? Hope you are well. Take care. Gary
  21. M

Jolida Hybrid amp

While I don't have any personal experience with the 1501, I've considered getting it myself so I've researched it some and frankly I don't think you'll hear a "night and day" difference with it. It seems to me you have some very good Pioneer gear so I'm wondering this: What do you feel you're...
  22. M

Speaker Placement

Hey arm013, did you pick up the set off the craiglist in Clinton Township? I believe he had the manuals with the speakers. If so, then check the manual for Vandersteen's placement procedure. They should have a pretty detailed set of instructions according to the review I read of them online. If...
  23. M

AK Fest 06 - Any news?

The Fest is even better this year. Excellent member rooms and it's nice to have the swap rooms available on the exhibit floor. There are more vendors here than last year with some great (and different) gear to show. The low key nature of the fest makes it so enjoyable. Good people and good gear...
  24. M

Ak Fest???

Deja Vu Just got back from the first day of the fest and saw this thread. We had similar discussions after last years fest as well. First of all, the fest is not a 'rust belt' thing or a 'back east' thing. It is a 'centrally located' thing. Face it, no matter where you have it the location will...
  25. M

Wharfdale Diamond 8.4 or Vandersteen 1c?

Second guessing eh? Well I know what you mean about second guessing. Been there and done that. I'm not going to make things easier on you though. First I have heard the 1C many times and it is an outstanding speaker. They are a full, rich sounding speaker with excellent detail, balance...
Back
Top Bottom