Search results

1. Odie3

What are you listening to on your reel to reel right now?

Listing to Mix Tape from iphone 8! (so far my Dad's old Ampex is holding up - no SSS - yet). Fun Fact: My 14 year old daughter made this mix playlist and thought her to thread the reel, clean the heads between the reel flip for side 2 and adjust the recording input. Her grandfather would...
  2. Odie3

Moved on to Recording on Sony TC-255

No mono on my amp but I do have "Y" adapters of various types and 1/8 to RCA adapters (quite the hook up from my iPhone 8). However, I seem to be all out of microphones (only UBS ones around the house) but before buying one I wanted to know what this old girl could do. I think what I am really...
  3. Odie3

got it dnash, did not think to look to the schematic for that information, hindsight tells me "duh". Especially since I have already downloaded it and printed it out from my printer ;-)
  4. Odie3

Best resource for learning how to repair reel to reel machines?

First I have to agree with dnash above. I am not sure how similar (internal design) of your TC-377 is to my TC-255 but I was able to get a lot of "self-help" by searching on this form and others (generally using Good Search). While I did get my Dad's (originally bought) TC-255 fully...
  5. Odie3

So, my daughter wants to record on it - does anyone know if the TC-255 will record the Mic and what is coming into the Line-In - so her voice is on top of the incoming music track?
  6. Odie3

After getting my TC-255 running and playing back (dubbed off my Dad's Moonwalk recording to MP3) I've made my first recording. I did not have a blank tape so I re-dubbed one on of my Dad's Ampex Plus Series 1800 reels. I was worried about it having SSS but does not seem to be suffering from...
  7. Odie3

Box of Tapes - Worth Much?

i have found that the Animals Animalism is a mighty fine album (I even remember my mom singing or quoting "hit the road, jack" lol!
  8. Odie3

Sony 255 - Heads and alignment?

Well, I have done #1. First on my Dad's head and got 'better' performance (it was really in bad shape). Then I did the heads that came on the unit I got from ebay - great improvement on that one. 10k hz -10db is still a little lower on the left (only slightly moved before sanding) but 400 hz...
  9. Odie3

That thing is ... odd. not my cup of tea ha!
  10. Odie3

Santana was/is awesome - I been jam'n to that! Mostly yes of the pre-recorded stock. Dad's home made records on Scotch Tape, which some the music track listing is written on US Navy letterhead paper are in poor shape (these are mono, each track used for a different song) - these are 65~67...
  11. Odie3

Aretha is magical, love "Think"! I'll give Brubeck a try too!
  12. Odie3

naw, not for sale - just wondering really. Plus I can tell my kids, hey these are not trash and don't just throw them out when I kick the bucket LOL
  13. Odie3

Sony 255 - Heads and alignment?

Hi all. I have really gone down the rabbit hole working on my Dad's TC-255, which has now been put to the side as 'donor' status. I picked up a TC-255 from Ebay that likely had been in a storage unit for years, in a box wrapped up in a sheet with its Sony cover on it. Calling it clean is a...
  14. Odie3

Fake Stereo? I have not listened to Aretha yet, that only list. I just love listen to Cash!
  15. Odie3

so I just put on Peter, Paul, & Mary and Track 1 was suppose to be "Early in the Morning" but it was "Puff the Magic Dragon". This was unsettling as it was unexpected and I clearly remember forcing my Dad play that over and over for me on this very tape deck (i could not been more than five)...
  16. Odie3

well here is Rascals playing from my Pioneer SC-LX801 (new pinch roller, new idler wheel, and new run-cap but I am still waiting for my belts). It really sounded bad when I incorrectly hooked the 255 to 'photo input' of the stereo LOL. However, the left channel is snarfed but hoping my ebay...
  17. Odie3

Sony TC-255 suddenly playing slower?

The new run-cap fix the play speed problem! I have picked up a donor TC-255 that will be here in a few days but I expect my dads to be the 'donor' as I think the left channel is fubar'ed (but the right sounds smashing good).
  18. Odie3

Thanks guys for all your input thus far! I just sampled the Rascals on iTunes, gee how could I now remember the Rascals! Duh!
  19. Odie3

And since Blue Shadow brought up the Rascals, this is what the Reel looks like. Granted 'looking' at it will not tell me how it will play but at least it does not look like it is falling apart. I'd say most of my Dad's tapes look like this one inside the box. Also to soundmotor, while I am...
  20. Odie3

my dad kept these always in the house but I guess moving from Texas, Indiana, and back again (plus the different houses) did not help. I think I had to be 8~10 years old the last time I can even remember him firing up a Reel-to-Reel. By the late 70's early 80s he was dubbing everything to...
  21. Odie3

Good point on the tape speed - just seperated the boxes again (home recordings, 3 3/4, and then 7 1/2 reels). These are all the 7½ ips tapes.
  22. Odie3

ya - I suppose I should have expected a answer like that ;-) I am in Austin, Texas (a bit south of Austin really). EDIT: I am not selling Johnny Cash :p
  23. Odie3

So on my trek of getting my Dad's Sony TC-255 running (run cap and various rubber parts on their way in the mail) - I've been looking at his tape reels. Here is a box of music artist I know - I am looking forward to listening to most of these, especially 2001 Space Odyssey. Sadly, the Sony does...
  24. Odie3

Sony TC-255 suddenly playing slower?

Thank you for this post. My dad's Sony TC-255 played for a bit, then slowed down. So I am going to give this a try (found a cap for Sony TCs on Ebay). If I get this thing running, he would be proud of me if he was still around. With a little luck and the ordered belts and NOS Sony idler...
Back
Top Bottom