Search results

1. Shrugg

Anyone heard of Speaker Works? Model 328B

Unfortunately, no further info from seller about the company or its location. The number and type of drivers almost makes me think of it as a poor man's Dahlquist dq-10, especially when the brochure mentions a "phased array" of drivers. Even the impedance is unusual (anyone have a 10 ohm...
  2. Shrugg

Anyone heard of Speaker Works? Model 328B

Found these interesting looking set of speakers online, and wanted to know if anyone had any info on the company or model. Zero documentation online about the company or this model of speaker, though they do appear to use decent quality drivers and cabinets. What's most interesting is that a...
  3. Shrugg

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

Jan 20, 2018
  4. Shrugg

St. Augustine FL vintage speakers, Linear tracking TT, headphones

By the way, the TT looks like a cheap Teac model similar to the Audio Technica AT-LP60, rather than a Sony Biotracer. Sure wish it was a Biotracer, though!
  5. Shrugg

Yet another speaker ID thread

Just found a pair of these speakers online, with just the one picture. Appears to be a three way speaker, with a horn midrange and tweeter. I'm guessing that they are Japan made, but beyond that, I am not sure. Any ideas on what speaker this is, or who made it?
  6. Shrugg

Original Equipment Manufacture dp100 speakers

I would give a restore a shot, those speakers look to be relatively high quality. Looks like they use some good drivers as well, peerless tweeters, properly implemented motorola supertweeters, and a decently sized woofer magnet. They should sound pretty good. Sorry I can't offer any more info...
  7. Shrugg

JBL L100T spider loose, not glued to basket

I've had to repair two different speakers where the spider had separated from the frame. While many glues should work for this purpose, I used two-part epoxy to repair my speakers, applied with a wooden skewer. Since the part where the spider attaches to the frame does not need to be flexible...
  8. Shrugg

Anyone heard of them? Sony APM-11W

Thanks for the info @Natertots . Seems strange that Sony would sell another version of the APM-22ES stateside, as I've seen the 22ES for sale around my location once or twice. Then again, Sony was never great with consistent model numbering, and often used different model numbers for different...
  9. Shrugg

Anyone heard of them? Sony APM-11W

Just came across these speakers listed for sale near me, and found that there is absolutely no information on them on the internet, which seems rather surprising. Seller claims that they are equivalent to the Sony APM-22ES speakers, but I am not so sure. Has anyone heard of this model before?
  10. Shrugg

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Had a pretty good day at the thrift store today... Found a BIC T-4M , a ADC sound shaper equalizer , a Pioneer CT-A9X , an ADS C4 cassette deck , and a Sony TC - K88B cassette deck, all for less than $200.
  11. Shrugg

Rare and Seldom Seen Speakers

That driver looks like a Western Electric 755A. Not very rare, but very good, and probably one of the most expensive single drivers in existence. Your attic find may be a score of a lifetime. Stereophile impressions: https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-116-page-3
  12. Shrugg

Another speaker mystery

Top midrange is definitely a peerless unit, but it does look somewhat out of place, given the circular cutout on top of the speaker, and the expanding foam used to seal it in place. Also, the port on the bottom right of the third photo looks too small for the woofers. Maybe some sort of homebrew...
  13. Shrugg

NEC A-11 (Dreams Comes True)

According to The Vintage Knob, the A11 was only produced for a few years, while the A10 was continually revised over the course of a decade, which is why there is less info on the A11. Even so, the A11 may outperform the A10, as it is much beefier and has even more power output than the A10. As...
  14. Shrugg

Rebuilding Fisher XP-9C

Sure is an interesting idea. Personally, I would try to keep the drivers original, as Fisher already used high quality drivers in many of their designs, and it would not really be worth it to replace these drivers with modern ones. If you do choose to go through with the driver replacements...
  15. Shrugg

Chronology of Speakers you've owned?

Cerwin Vega L9 Realistic Minimus 7 Mission M70 Dahlquist M903 DCM TimeFrame 600 Dahlquist DQ10 Vandersteen 2c Currently running the Vandersteens in my main system, the Missions are in a second system. Still have the Minimus 7s in storage, and the Cerwin Vegas are in use as a stand for my Teac Rtr
  16. Shrugg

JBL L150 having needed up grades

AFAIK, The L150s were not studio monitors because there was no equivalent studio model of this speaker. The "L" prefix for JBL speakers meant that the speakers were for domestic use, whereas a studio JBL speaker would have a 4 number string as a model number, such as 4312, 4408, etc. Some of the...
  17. Shrugg

Eviction Notice Performance?!

I've certainly noticed it before on cd. The hiss is due to tape noise from the mastering tape of the album, so many albums that were originally recorded onto analog tape will have a certain amount of tape noise present on the recording. Even digital remasters from the original multitrack...
  18. Shrugg

Toshiba CS 747 uneven sound

Looks like the woofer drivers in the speakers are not original, unfortunately. The wrong drivers are likely causing the uneven sound in the lower frequency, and it will probably be impossible to find the correct drives given how rare these speakers are. In addition, your placement of the...
  19. Shrugg

Sony Gear bought in Japan, brought to the States

While Japan does have different power frequencies for different regions, the vast majority of electronics are not affected, including these units and can accept both 50hz and 60hz. This is because all components in this system have power supplies converting the ac line voltage to lower voltage...
  20. Shrugg

List of Absurd Prices for Items - Fun thread for obviously enthusiastic expectations

I know records can be expensive, but is this collection really worth more than most new cars? https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ele/d/los-angeles-1100-best-vinyl-records-of/7226182367.html
  21. Shrugg

Sony Gear bought in Japan, brought to the States

By the way, the foam on the APM-22 speakers should be fairly straightforward to replace, as there are square foams for sale to replace the old rotten ones. As long as the woofers and tweeters are not completely toast, and are just missing the outer foam, it should be a fairly easy repair. Here...
  22. Shrugg

Mystery speakers

Huh, interesting. Those drivers appear to be fairly high quality, especially with the large magnets. Despite the fact that they are Herald branded, they were made in Japan, leading me to believe that Herald contracted someone to produce their drivers. They look a lot like they were made by...
  23. Shrugg

How the mighty have fallen.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is an entirely different Kenwood company branded under the same name, well known in the UK for making kitchen appliances. Here is their wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenwood_Limited Kenwood (the hifi company) is still alive and well, though they...
  24. Shrugg

DQ-10 Drivers ID, Other Questions

Sorry, just wanted to correct your statement about the midrange not being original on this speaker. This midrange driver on the speaker is original, and it was mounted on the backside of the baffle for proper time alignment of the speakers. Definiteley a good thing that this is the original...
  25. Shrugg

Roger That! RSL CG-8/2!

Definitely! I just fixed up the bookshelf brothers of these speakers, the RSL CG-8, for use in a garage system. Even when lying on their sides on top of a workbench cabinet, they sound absolutely fantastic! Some of the best bookshelf speakers I've heard. Unfortunately, mine are extremely beat...
Back
Top Bottom