Search results

1. Tinman

A 1/4 track Studer A810!

Introducing possibly the first successful conversion of a Studer A810 to a 1/4 track RECORDER. The reason to try this is the fact that the A810 just lends itself to being the ultimate do it all machine. After all, it is modular and can accept various head stack by simply removing 3 screws...
  2. Tinman

On Tape decks and capacitors

SLIGHTLY off topic, but since I use most of my capacitor stock on tapedecks, I thought to post a pic of my wall-o-caps. MOST of these bins are full of capacitors, arranged by value. I go through a lot of caps. Had to take it sideways to get most of it in. The wall is 8 ft tall.
  3. Tinman

No more A77's.

So I have decided NOT to accept any more Revox A77's for service. It seems that people are unrealistic of the effort and number of parts required to bring one of these old decks back to original specs. This costs money, which everyone thinks should be around $85. Not possible, guys. I...
  4. Tinman

Repair: Sharp DX-3 CDP

Not sure where to put this, but it's vintage enough, I think. So I got a Sharp DX-3 Vertical load CD player from tubeboob to look at. At first glance I was quite amazed by this little brick! Sharp???? Solid STEEL???? Really??? The thing is a BRICK! Complaint: Door won't open. OK.... new...
  5. Tinman

Revox B225

The Revox B225 ready to be completely overhauled. There it is, pretty much in all it's pieces. And also WHY you'd want anything made by Revox. :thmbsp: Just look at it! Built like a tank, completely serviceable and will likely last another 3 decades. :yes: Note it's heart, the...
  6. Tinman

Busy weekend!

So I am waiting for a parts order to finish some customer machines...... this leaves my weekend kind of open. So I decided on Saturday to FINALLY re-cap my own Studer A810 and get it properly set up again. Turns out it was high time! The Rifas on the reel and capstan drives were split and...
  7. Tinman

The horror of AKAI

I tell ya..... finding a flaky connection in modern AKAI decks is soooo much fun! Here is a GX-646 for you. This one has capstan problems, tape alignment issues, and it slows down and stops only in record. I fixed the first 2, but the erratic speed in record only is a new one to me...
  8. Tinman

A word on Revox and Studer

Just a note to everyone that PM's me or posts a thread about their newly acquired Revox or Studer deck. You can whine, complain, be in complete denial and even throw a tantrum kicking and screaming on the floor...... But it doesn't change the fact that these decks (and other gear from...
  9. Tinman

Thanks leesonic!

A thanks to leesonic for the beautiful AKAI EQ complete in original box and manual. All expectations were exceeded!! :thmbsp: Marc
  10. Tinman

Tandberg 10XD... I am so sorry....

But it's ANOTHER FREEBIE!!! :banana: Another freebie from the e-waste yard. The damage was: One bad capstan belt, One bad linear pot, One cut off power cord, And loads of stuck mechanics. All fixed, cleaned and lubed. Runs like a dream. The pot I fixed by "riveting" the...
  11. Tinman

My Twins.... RS-1500

Here are my "Twins".... My RS-1500's with their shiny new solid wood side panels installed. :thmbsp: The 3rd deck still has the old one's, so not in this shot. Sorry... :D The panels were found on the usual place... very happy with them. Hope you like.
  12. Tinman

A little collection...

I thought I'd share a PART of my Revox collection that I repaired over the past few years. One day I'll have to set up all the reel to reel decks and turntables as well.... This has certainly proven to be an obsessive hobby.... I also thought I'd add my latest ebay score as well. I serviced...
  13. Tinman

I ALMOST kissed a MAN!

Yeah, you read correctly. A few weeks ago a good friend of mine ran across not one, but THREE nagra SNST spy recorders. I had the pleasure to fondle them a bit, as I have never actually held one in my hands before. So I checked them out and returned them knowing that he will likely get...
  14. Tinman

My latest freebie.

Hi guys. Well, here's my latest freebie from the recycling yard. It had a shorted capacitor killing the 24v supply to the audio amp, seized up grease, and the reel tables were damaged. Cleaned up well considering where it came from. Well.... I'm not that impressed with the build...
  15. Tinman

Many warm thanks to Sir.Byrd

Thanks to Sir.Byrd, I realized another long time dream of mine. A Beogram CD-X player! :banana: It arrived swiftly, double boxed, and in fantastic condition. Yes, it was a fixer, (as stated) but it is now playing tunes like new. :thmbsp: Thanks again! Marc
  16. Tinman

This outlet will change your life!

Well, I ran across this today. I thought I'd share some good humor. DO ABSOLUTELY read the comments. It's worth it! :D http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=110-439&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand=2818820
  17. Tinman

Studer A721 score!

Yep, came to me FREE!!! :banana::banana: It had one flywheel knocked off the transport and a dead shorted....... You guessed it...... FRAKO capacitor. Works like a dream again. This deck has it's share of battle scars, but I think it gives it character. It's a survivor. Now I...
  18. Tinman

Dusted off one of my oldies!

So while getting to those "Projects" I have been putting off, I decided to dust off an old conversation piece of mine. Cleaned and lubed, she plays just like back in the days. Even still have the spare needle for the Audio Technica cartridge in it. :thmbsp: People used to really do a...
  19. Tinman

My latest, a Studer B67

OK, so I recently acquired a Studer B67 to add to my little collection. It was apparently sold for $850 running, but returned broken for a refund. I then got it as-is for $250. Well worth it just for the very good butterfly heads it has. And so it began.... No power. OK, one connector...
  20. Tinman

My B7XX system.

So I finally found a B791 turntable to finish off my B7XX system. :banana: I won't even go into how much Revox I have managed to acquire, but the B7XX is so far my favorite look. And it's ALL re-capped and working purdy..... :D Lousy Picture of it on my bench included. Now I just have to...
  21. Tinman

PENTA'S.... a childhood dream.

Well, I have had a lot of speakers in my life, even a sweet set of white van specials in my youth. :D Back in the late 80's I wandered into a Bang and Olufsen showroom (BIG mistake) to look at all the neat stuff inside. The 2 things that left a permanent impression seared into my brain...
  22. Tinman

Revox B780

Well, as some of you know, I am a big Revox fan. I just took delivery of my first Revox B780. It's been a dream of mine for years. It arrived double boxed, with original manual and cord. I nearly broke into tears when I unboxed it. No, UPS didn't kill it. What was before my eyes was a...
  23. Tinman

It won't work. Suuure.....

Among other decks, I also own an Otari MX-5050BII and a BIII. One thing that always bugged me about the machine is that it couldn't be had with a 1/4 track rec/pb headblock. I'd love to be able to record and play in both formats on the one deck. The head block is removable with 3 screws, so...
  24. Tinman

Tube Tech PA-6, any info?

I think I may have asked about this thing once before..... not sure. Anyhow, I was given a Tube Tech PA-6 headphone amplifier that someone turned into a speaker amp. I hate it when things get "modded". I finally worked up the courage to run it up on some beater speakers and my trusty...
  25. Tinman

BLASPHEMY! Or is it?

So I have been playing around with audio since my YUT. :D I have had just about everything from tube gear to white van speakers to high end stuff. And then some. Fixing this stuff also exposes you to many flavors of equipment you'd normally NOT own. SO what's the deal? Well, I have...
Back
Top Bottom