Search results

1. airtime

Gold Lion KT88 Alternatives

I've tried the EH 6922's in my Conrad Johnson Classic 2SE preamp. It's a little on the bright side. So I've been using Gold Lion 6922's. They seem to be a bit more "robust" sounding. But as with anything tubes, it's circuit dependent.
  2. airtime

Gold Lion KT88 Alternatives

I have a set of GL from Jim McShane that I tried in my VTA ST70. Didn't care for them in this amp so they've been sitting in the closet for years unused.
  3. airtime

What are the gems of the EL34 amps

The tube I would most want to get rid of would only be the center gain tube. The heater lines come in from the right phase tube to pins 9 and 4&5 of the gain tube. So would simple cutting the 4 / 5 connection be it? I wouldn't ground anything?
  4. airtime

Ahh, now I get it. Perhaps I will revisit the 6CG7. To wire that, was it just removing pin 9? And will that effect the rest of the heater current string? I'm pretty sure the gain tube is at the end of the heater line.
  5. airtime

Any opinions on the replacing the rectifier with diodes? What resistors do you need to drop the voltage back down to the operation levels? What and how many thermistors would be recommended and where would you place them? Also, some have recommended that the first cap coming off the...
  6. airtime

I've considered going the 6CG7 route. After a few months of chewing up tracings and replacing them with "temp" solder joints, the driver board needs replacing. It fully functional with the with the 6SN7 adapter gain tube and 12AU7 phase tubes. And to be honest it sounds pretty darn good. But you...
  7. airtime

Sure, vintage, new, any EL34 based amp that is an excellent sounding amp.
  8. airtime

I've been using the VTA ST70 for several months. So tonight I thought I would switched back to the Sherwood EL84. DARN that's one sweet sounding amp!!!! Yep, I'm keeping BOTH until the end.
  9. airtime

Having a Sherwood S-5000 EL84 as well as the VTA ST70 Dynaco, I can say that I enjoy both equally. Each brings it's own magic into the picture. So don't cut out trying a restored or VTA kit ST70. Just do the basic upgrades first. For me both are keepers until I go.
  10. airtime

I seem to have an affinity forwards both the EL84 and the EL34 tube sound, as you've probably noticed. What are the gems of the EL34 world. All I seem to come up with are kits, overly engineered designs, Marantz 8b and variations on the ST70. Having a restored and upgraded Sherwood S-5000 with...
  11. airtime

Choosing a good EL84 amp

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. I also had the amp restored by Mike Samra so it has PIO coupling caps and the works.
  12. airtime

Choosing a good EL84 amp

I'm currently using the amp section only of a Sherwood S-5000 EL84 amp. I really appreciate the sound of this tube and was wondering if there are any other good EL84 based amps out there. Most are in kit form and not well reviewed by experienced listeners. How would the Dynakits ST35 compare...
  13. airtime

Helpful tips on replacing input jacks on a 250M would help

I think the only way I'm going to find this out is after I remove the two little boards holding the jacks in place.
  14. airtime

My first try I'll see if I can find larger thin nylon washers in the parts draws at Ace's Hardware. Otherwise I'll make the jack plate holder. Nice job and thanks.
  15. airtime

Thanks, that will give me something to start thinking about. First step, get the old boards out.
  16. airtime

The one jack is totally useless. I purchased chassis isolation jacks and I'm ready to do it. Are there any helpful hints and tips I should know about before trying to replace these jacks? Like not brake the old boards holding the old jacks? Or do I remove the old boards holding the jacks and...
  17. airtime

EL34 recommendations

I've had my share of EH tubes over the years. I never cared for the sound and, well to be honest, poor quality. I can't tell you how many EH tubes I've had over the years that just blew out or went noisy.
  18. airtime

EL34 recommendations

19. airtime

EL34 recommendations

I've heard good things about the JJ's. On my short list to try.
  20. airtime

EL34 recommendations

I have always been a EL34 kind of guy. I finally got my VTA ST70 up to the point were I'm very happy with it. Currently I'm using a set of TungSol EL34B tubes. What I'm asking is what would be a really good set of EL34's to consider for the future. My listening taste is classical so tonal...
  21. airtime

Resistor position choices

Ok, so there would be no outward sound changes using a CC vs a MF. It would be only a precautionary use, using a CC grid stopper to prevent "possible" interference during a part of the cycle, minor power consumption of the output tubes and filtering of MHz interference. So I wouldn't let's...
  22. airtime

So are you saying use the CC's on the grid stoppers vs MF or CF? What sound differences would one expect to hear between using CC vs CF as grid stoppers, if any? Or is this in the range of MHz and more of an academic oscilloscope finding?
  23. airtime

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to the science of choosing the right resistor for a particular position. Should I go with Carbon Comp resistors for the grid on the input gain tube as well as the grids for the EL34's? The only question in my mind is that I was using Dale MF resistors...
  24. airtime

Isolated the hum

Does this amp use the ground as a power switch?
  25. airtime

Strange ST-70 driver/cap board

Is that caulking around the driver tubes?
Back
Top Bottom