Search results

1. Darren James

Denon DRA 1035 master volume board reset

Anyone ever have to pull the master volume board because of volume problems Sure I could find my way around, but!!.... just in case there is a wiz here who checks in
  2. Darren James

Hey AK! Speaker question

I am having some low end distortion.... I've have cornered it to the JBL 4410A .... No crossover upgrade yet... Checked voice coil - all clear, no rubbing There is possible heat damage to 8ohm resistor in series on tweeter.. no other visible issues... question is, would faulty cap on mid or...
  3. Darren James

To my Pioneer buddies... Why the power-up chatter on these 650's and others?

Third 650 I've picked up over the century..... same power-up chatter... then levels out and lights come on..... why??? thanks and Happy Holidays Darren
  4. Darren James

Near Frenchtown NJ... need a pickup to hold

Got a pair of speakers I need picked up.... will pay....
  5. Darren James

help!! I have a phantom 60hz.

So, it's static. I shut everything off and it's still there.... so is the double 120hz, although lower...... shut mic off and it goes blank.... see attached I'm just getting into sound measurement ...... I am aware of AC cycling.... not sure where this might be coming from. Thanks, Darren
  6. Darren James

Harman Kardon 430 - startup question

Hello, I just noticed that upon start up, the woofers move slowly in and out almost full range... a few times. then stop.. Not quickly... but 1 2 3 4 5 ..... done over maybe 5 seconds.... Everything sounds fine... I'm just wondering what is sneaking by or leaking into my speakers,,,, Thoughts?
  7. Darren James

thoughts about Elna Capacitors (1976 CS-911A)

Found 4 of these beauties from original owner ..... great shape They just sound muddy and boxy...... Thoughts? I've A/B them with my reference pair on Denon amp.... Darren
  8. Darren James

Working on older B&W DM22's tweeters / very low db.

Hi everyone, So, got an older pair of these 22's and the tweeters are real quiet. I updated the caps. I have tested with a spare klipsch tweeter and they sound great. I opened them up and found the inner felt pad had been stuck to the edges of the dome. I also discovered bubbles in the paper...
  9. Darren James

Topeka Kansas... need pickup & drop to UPS store

Hello everyone, There is a receiver I bought that needs to go to a UPS store for packaging.... thanks, Darren
  10. Darren James

Protection circuit kicks in after a couple minutes, then a few times more..

It's a Yamaha R-1000 receiver. When first turning on for the day the relay clicks off after a couple minutes and then clicks back on, only to do it a couple more times. After 5 minutes or so it settles down and plays fine... any thoughts??? Darren
  11. Darren James

Connoisseur BD/ A help with motor mount

Hello everyone, Has anyone dealt with these machines and the wobbly motor problem? Any solutions? IMG_20181221_162654079 by Darren James posted Dec 21, 2018 at 5:39 PM IMG_20181221_162648408 by Darren James posted Dec 21, 2018 at 5:39 PM
  12. Darren James

just finished L40's

These were upgraded with Radio Shack sub woofers........ I couldn't leave them that way..... heresy .... So I actually found some decent 127A's .... did some work and voila!! IMG_20181122_140702022 by Darren James posted Nov 22, 2018 at 4:04 PM IMG_20181122_140718457 by Darren James posted Nov...
  13. Darren James

problem for bored T-Day ...... pioneer vsx 4900s

turns on..... real low volume fine... minute i turn it up.... clickity clack click clack.... speakers doing same a quick signal... then dead.... click clack......... all inputs..... thoughts?? Darren
  14. Darren James

Hi Gang, any thoughts on using 127H for 127A's, in a pair of L40's....?

I'm getting tired of looking at my poor babies waiting for parts.......
  15. Darren James

I've been playing with vintage, but scored some 4410A's...... wow!

Would I be sophomoric to say I have never heard such great output....... blows away ALL my old stuff... The crossovers are amazing to look at alone.... certainly no need for L-pads... IMG_20181114_154751551 by Darren James posted Nov 14, 2018 at 7:32 PM IMG_20181114_154741911 by Darren James...
  16. Darren James

Remember Tech HiFi? store brand "TDC"

IMG_20181108_203556718 by Darren James posted Nov 10, 2018 at 1:17 PM IMG_20181108_203630367 by Darren James posted Nov 10, 2018 at 1:17 PM IMG_20181108_203745879 by Darren James posted Nov 10, 2018 at 1:17 PM IMG_20181108_193618925 by Darren James posted Nov 10, 2018 at 1:17 PM
  17. Darren James

So...... Which big brand will roll out the "retro" look first???

Will it be Harman or DEI Holdings? I say DEI with Marantz......
  18. Darren James

crackle that moves my speaker cone like crazy on cold start Yamaha CR1020

Hello, Regardless of volume level, when I start this machine (only happened 3 times over a week), it sends large crackles which move the poor woofer almost out of its cabinet. I thought I got rid of it by de-oxing the volume knob...... It has forced me to start the receiver in speaker off mode...
  19. Darren James

It's that time again! "Name those Speakers!"

Going to look at them tomorrow... no name or label... 00L0L_G55Yb73GBa_1200x900 by Darren James posted Oct 2, 2018 at 7:57 PM
  20. Darren James

Do crossovers also control volume? almost painfully bright speakers

I have been messing around with a pair of 1980 Pioneer 3 ways that have the exact HPM100 box, but cheap drivers... I fixed the foam surround and they really have some great sound, but they scream at you. I took a three way L-pad / crossover from my parts bin and wired them up. I was able to...
  21. Darren James

lets see, what shall we call this, restomod? .... Need ideas on color scheme

These are some weird Pioneer knock-off of their own product. Made in 1980 (according to serial numbers), I am adding L-pads because the mid and tweeter are way too bright... and I've stripped the vinyl... So either another vinyl wrap or wood veneer..... thoughts on design...
  22. Darren James

Messing around with a Pioneer HPM wanna-be

I bought these weird Pioneers last year at the thrift store.... the model is L30. "say what?"... ya my thought too... Best I can figure is Pioneer took some parts and made cheap speakers for Service Merchandise or Sears... The Cabinets are HPM 100 cabs... Same exact dimensions, same 1 1/4" thick...
  23. Darren James

My Salute to the West Coast Grand daddy's of Sound

Three examples of the work Ed May and Bart Locanthi produced during their time at the top as the head designers of their day....... JBL 4310 Around the same time, Ed developed the compact 4310 monitor. This, and it's domestic conversion, the L100, would become the most successful loudspeakers...
  24. Darren James

All you purists, look away..... these HD88's are ugly really... till now

I figured if I'm going to look at them, I might as well enjoy it. They wrap cars so why can't I wrap a speaker... With its easy removal I have retained the original, so no harm no foul.... What ya think? from this: IMG_20180919_194719400 by Darren James posted Sep 19, 2018 at 7:57 PM To this...
  25. Darren James

Found a new way to fix surrounds.. currently selling on Ebay

No Kidding, this is what the ad reads: "Some of the sub-woofer foam came loose sound is not affected, you can easily replace if you want." S-l1600 by Darren James posted Sep 17, 2018 at 9:49 PM
Back
Top Bottom