Search results

1. quebecois

Cleaning and restoring my new-to-me AR XA turntable

They don't have round ones either ! Where did you buy them ? If I have to order some, I supposed these are the M4-40, right ?
  2. quebecois

Well, I was unable to source nylon hexagonal standoffs in the four hardware stores I went to. I guess I'll have to shop them on line...
  3. quebecois

Muscle and a small screwdriver with a slim stem!
  4. quebecois

How do you hold the conical screw while screwing it in the standoff? It looks a bit tricky to me.
  5. quebecois

Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

What kind of first spin do I have to give to my platter to do the spin-down time test?
  6. quebecois

Ah, thanks, I was a bit puzzled by the drawing.
  7. quebecois

It seems to me that this drawing shows a brass bearing that is different from mine. There is no fixed damped surface on top of my brass bearing.
  8. quebecois

Hum, I didn't see any spring in there...all XA tables had one?
  9. quebecois

How thick should the foam washer on top of the tonearm spindle be? I'll try to cut one out of a piece of dense foam this weekend, so I need to know. According to my electronic caliper, a 2.2 mm thick would fit snug under the plastic washer, but I don't know if it should fit snug or a bit loose.
  10. quebecois

Nice ! What about 1500 grit wet sandpaper or even finer to polish them ?
  11. quebecois

Did you put any oil or grease on the point of the conical screws ?
  12. quebecois

If I understand well, you didn't put any lubrification of any type in the tone arm pivot, so there is absolutely no vertical damping at all, and your tone arm would fall freely if you drop it, right? I assume that you put some lubrification in the platter well and the tone arm well, did you?
  13. quebecois

This is what the brass bearing looked like. It has a big smudge of dirt-oxydation. I suppose this is what made the arm hanging a bit over the record.
  14. quebecois

I just removed the thrust plates, with the help of brake cleaner, just like some recommended, it was funny seeing them float at the surface after one hour or so. Here a picture of them: On the left is the one out of the platter well. Both are still show pretty shiny upper surface. Do I...
  15. quebecois

I understand from what I read in this thread that there are two damping effects: vertical damping provided by the brass bearing with the tiny pin and both foam and plastic washers on top of the spindle; and the horizontal damping, which is a subtile effect of the type of lubrification used in...
  16. quebecois

What is the right thickness of foam ?
  17. quebecois

I'm not sure what he used to replace the foam washer, is it leather ?
  18. quebecois

I had the second screw out with heat, at some point I thought I ruined the screw head...I may have to gently cut the slot deeper with a thin cutting wheel on my dremmel. When I pulled the barrel and the brass bearing out, I wondered for a minute if there could be a good idea to lube this...
  19. quebecois

I got one out, but the other one is very stubborn, I have a soldering gun, is that enough heat ? I suppose I should apply heat only to the screw and avoid the housing, right ?
  20. quebecois

Both screws are stuck, i applied my favorite loosenut to them, i'll try again later this week.
  21. quebecois

Thanks , that's the link I referred to, I understood that I have to remove that pin and both washers on top of the spindle, because they are also parts of the damping system I wouldn't need anymore.
  22. quebecois

I forgot to mention that I took that picture in a thread about how to restore an AR XA table, it's not mine. By the way, it's not clear to me how to access that pivot bearing, is it a question of unscrewing both little screws on each side of the arm?
  23. quebecois

Is this what has to be removed to solve this problem?
  24. quebecois

On another note (hem) , I noticed that the tone arm is a lot less stable since I moved it to clean the well, it seems it doesn't want to follow the track all the way and it's easily disturbed by even a small cloth fiber or something on the record. Then I noticed it is a bit loose on its pivot...
Back
Top Bottom